grimps
June 21, 2022, 9:16am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
That’s great going by them , even with the adult price of under 200 quid it shows what having a decent ground with a decent capacity can do .

Obviously Bradford had a bigger population than us but I honestly believe if we had a decent ground and charged those prices we could have had 8000 sold this season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
June 21, 2022, 9:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from grimps
That’s great going by them , even with the adult price of under 200 quid it shows what having a decent ground with a decent capacity can do .

Obviously Bradford had a bigger population than us but I honestly believe if we had a decent ground and charged those prices we could have had 8000 sold this season

To be fair to Bradford, they have a proper fan base, and have the foundations to be playing Championship easily.
They've gone all out on the manager now, and hope they take the 2nd or 3rd place this year. (we will win it obviously)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
diehardmariner
June 21, 2022, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Bradford's a huge place.  The metropolitan borough has a population in excess of half a million.

Yes, they've got Leeds and Huddersfield, two sides who've consistently out performed them for long periods of modern history, on their doorstep.  But that's easily three times as big as the population of North East Lincolnshire.

I'm in no doubt that with a better stadium and with cheaper prices we would have sold even more tickets, but I think 8000 would be pushing it, just yet.  Who knows though, another good season....
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
grimps
June 21, 2022, 9:46am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Bradford's a huge place.  The metropolitan borough has a population in excess of half a million.

Yes, they've got Leeds and Huddersfield, two sides who've consistently out performed them for long periods of modern history, on their doorstep.  But that's easily three times as big as the population of North East Lincolnshire.

I'm in no doubt that with a better stadium and with cheaper prices we would have sold even more tickets, but I think 8000 would be pushing it, just yet.  Who knows though, another good season....

That’s true but historically I can’t remember them getting much better crowds than us in the 70s to 90s .
A lot of their population would have supported Leeds or been into cricket.
They’re another club that seemed to push on once they got the ground developed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
diehardmariner
June 21, 2022, 9:50am
Vodka Drinker
Absolutely.  

I'm a big advocate of building it and they will come.

I think with a fully redeveloped BP or a new stadium we would significantly increasing our gate numbers.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
mimma
June 21, 2022, 11:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
It seems strange that their away average last season was about the same as ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
livosnose
June 21, 2022, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,185
Gold Stars: 16
Can’t remember specifics but some of their season ticket holders are locked in on a life deal at a seriously low price hence the numbers sold. You only have to see some of the fans that were in the fire sat in the main stand that they have an amazing fan base.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
grimps
June 21, 2022, 11:19am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma
It seems strange that their away average last season was about the same as ours.

To be fair there’s a few  clubs with home crowds  3-4 times ours that don’t travel as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
male private Nale
June 21, 2022, 11:28am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
You would need to look at a trend with new owners over a minimum of 5 years to justify building a new ground on season ticket sales and demands.

The feel good factor is here at the minute but let’s see how many continue to renew year in year out.

This board won’t make knee jerk reactions when times are good or as we saw during autumn when times are bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
diehardmariner
June 21, 2022, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
But gates didn't massively dwindle during our little blip.

Of course there needs to be a long term plan in place when it comes to gates and developments, but I don't think this is just a flash in the pan.  The hardest bit is getting people through the door to start with, there's enough going on to keep people in the building (results or not) and there seems to be a genuine increase in new blood coming to Town games.  I've never seen so many kids wearing GTFC shirts before.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
male private Nale
June 21, 2022, 12:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Yes there is plenty of new blood coming through , last season my lad went with 4 other season ticket holders this year it’s 12 all of them 15 year old and most it’s their first season ticket. The pricing of £75 is an amazing value for money ticket for teenagers.

I just think you have to take a pragmatic view over a medium term to see if building a new stadium is viable.

I would be happy to look at maximising the potential of blundell park’s capacity then looking at average home crowds over next 3-5 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
immariner
June 21, 2022, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
It has to be mentioned that they were in the Premier League for 2 seasons. Those young uns hooked back then will be taking their own crotch gremlins now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
diehardmariner
June 21, 2022, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Definitely.

So of those young ones we've got hooked in the last 12 months or so, how long before they bring along their own kids?  

I get the affinity to Blundell Park, I really do.  I'm also really eager to see what they can do with it to redevelop it and I believe that we've got the best people in the building to lead on that. But I'm incredibly sceptical that it can be redeveloped to the point of really unleashing the potential for this football club.

It's a tough one but I would imagine the long term vision goes a bit like absolutely wringing out every possible development of Blundell Park imaginable.  To the point where it simply isn't possible to add any extra seats and we can't increase the capacity anymore, hopefully this comes at a point where we're consistently seeing demand outstrip capacity.  Concurrently a new stadium is being built that will allow capacity to meet demand and some more room for growth.  

The trick is going to be timing.  
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 21, 2022, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Definitely.

So of those young ones we've got hooked in the last 12 months or so, how long before they bring along their own kids?  

I get the affinity to Blundell Park, I really do.  I'm also really eager to see what they can do with it to redevelop it and I believe that we've got the best people in the building to lead on that. But I'm incredibly sceptical that it can be redeveloped to the point of really unleashing the potential for this football club.

It's a tough one but I would imagine the long term vision goes a bit like absolutely wringing out every possible development of Blundell Park imaginable.  To the point where it simply isn't possible to add any extra seats and we can't increase the capacity anymore, hopefully this comes at a point where we're consistently seeing demand outstrip capacity.  Concurrently a new stadium is being built that will allow capacity to meet demand and some more room for growth.  

The trick is going to be timing.  

I remember being at school and a stat said that Grimsby/cleethorpes had the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe.

So that could be the massive spike in sales and they’re bringing them this season

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
lukeo
June 21, 2022, 5:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
3925 the latest!!

75 to go until we hit the big 4k!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
golfer
June 21, 2022, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I remember being at school and a stat said that Grimsby/cleethorpes had the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe.

So that could be the massive spike in sales and they’re bringing them this season

A lot of them can;t go with their dads for obvious reasons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Yossarian
June 21, 2022, 10:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
Given the noise around the Prem League, I think it is incredible that that are teams in the lower leagues that have really re-thought how they get fans in through the gates.   Bradford have a decent stadium, big crowds so much be exciting as a kid to walk through the gates for the first time.  If you get them in early you have fans for life.  I still remember walking into Blundell Park as an 8 year old and how exciting it was.  If Bradford (and others) are pricing tickets at such reasonable levels then good luck  - investing in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Poojah
June 21, 2022, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,877
Gold Stars: 1,523
Just for some perspective, it's worth noting that Bradford's season ticket prices average out at about 55% of Town's, so in effect 14,000 Bradford tickets equate to a cash value equivalent of about 7,700 Town. Naturally, they wouldn't sell as many without the heavily discounted prices that their large capacity allows.

We should be around 70% of that figure by the time we're done (based on current figures), which isn't bad for an area 30% the size of Bradford.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
aldi_01
June 22, 2022, 6:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It works in so much it fills the ground, ish but with the significant discounts, financially it doesn’t see them rake in thousands more.

That said, still cracking numbers and shows that there’s life outside the top flight, not that the media would recognise.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
grimps
June 22, 2022, 6:37am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
It works in so much it fills the ground, ish but with the significant discounts, financially it doesn’t see them rake in thousands more.

That said, still cracking numbers and shows that there’s life outside the top flight, not that the media would recognise.

Yeah but those extra 8000 fans will all buy drinks food and maybe club shirts ect , They’ll  rake in a lot more by having a full ground at discounted ticket prices
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
aldi_01
June 22, 2022, 6:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from grimps

Yeah but those extra 8000 fans will all buy drinks food and maybe club shirts ect , They’ll  rake in a lot more by having a full ground at discounted ticket prices

Agreed. Bradford have done this for a while now so nobody should be taken aback by it. I guess it also proves the theory that having more fans doesn’t mean better results, here they are, still languishing in league 2 with a famous manager that won’t see Christmas…

A long term study of numbers would be interesting to see just how ouch additional cash they make but lower prices, getting more in and then spend on refreshments etc…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
queenybantam07
June 23, 2022, 1:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +84
Firstly, I’m amazed this has even made its own thread, given we’ve sold between 10,000-18,500 season tickets every season since this ticketing initiative launched 15 years ago.

It makes for quite interesting reading though, because it seems if we didn’t have Valley Parade’s capacity, we wouldn’t sell the amount of tickets we do. When in reality, this comes down to fanbase and great marketing alone. In addition, stadium capacity hasn’t been below 18,500 for 32 years.

I’ve seen a couple of posts regarding being back to square one come Christmas, and whilst this might be true, you need to take into consideration why we’re where we are in the first place; but as always, you need to consider the positives, too. If you’re applying the same principles, of which the narrative is zero success, you need to do your own research and take into account what has been achieved since 2007 - ‘cheap ticket launch’.

Anyhow, we’ll see you next season. You’re riding a wave through success and we’re riding ours through sheer loyalty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
kyan_goodrich04
June 23, 2022, 3:44am

Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -238
Gold Stars: 5
I'd like 13000 TO GO thank yoi

free the fife from here they chains!!!! rally the troops from the muck!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
kyan_goodrich04
June 23, 2022, 3:44am

Coke Drinker
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -238
Gold Stars: 5
I'd like 13000 TO GO thank yoi

free the fife from here they chains!!!! rally the troops from the muck!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bradford sell 14000 season tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.