Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › F.G.R.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 253 Guests

F.G.R.

This thread currently has 4,996 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
April 24, 2022, 10:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33

My view is really flawed on this and is easy to challenge and pick apart. It’s just a personal preference based on little more than my own perception of football league clubs when I was growing up. I guess by ‘proper history’ I meant, having previously been long established FL clubs with proper fan bases etc, but, as I said….this is a perception, and not particularly fair. I would probably ‘red cross’ myself for it if I could.

Nothing wrong with a bit of tradition, it's just a shame a former local fish merchant didn't understand how important it was to all of us, if he did then maybe we would at least be where FGR now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
GrimPol
April 24, 2022, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

He will stand there ramming ethical food down your throat as he forces you to eat their catering!  They are not forcing you to do anything, you have a choice to either eat there or not.

Did I stand on you corns?
If you like the "eat there or not" attitude, fine, but it wouldn't work the other way round. That is my point.

However, with an average gate of 2,500 they are doing well. Must be the tofu burgers eh? I Hope PH is reading this and adds the magic solution to our player's diet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
Bristol Mariner
April 24, 2022, 11:17am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Unfortunately having a history counts for nothing. We are where we are due to mis management over 20+ years.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
TheRealJohnLewis
April 24, 2022, 11:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from GrimPol

Did I stand on you corns?
If you like the "eat there or not" attitude, fine, but it wouldn't work the other way round. That is my point.

However, with an average gate of 2,500 they are doing well. Must be the tofu burgers eh? I Hope PH is reading this and adds the magic solution to our player's diet.

Of course, it works the other way round, if a Vegan goes to a ground with zero options, then they will have no choice but to eat elsewhere. If a meat-eater goes to vegan-only ground, they can still eat all of the stuff they just choose not to.

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
GrimPol
April 24, 2022, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
It makes me laugh when people sit there and criticise vegan food. Meat production has a huge impact on the environment and reducing your consumption is one of the best things you can do but a lot of vegan food is very flavoursome.

The finances of FGR don't seem to stack up though and a time will come when Dale Vince doesn't want to continue funding it.

I would love to argue Vegan v Meat issue with anyone, but it misses the FGR point totally. Who cares that they play in paper shorts, and spray tofu on their pitch. The point is that they have an average of 2,500 and Grimsby are double that. At this level gate receipts are a large chunk of income. We are in 5th tier, they are now in the 3rd tier (now).
Is it the Peanut Burgers, the short term managers, or creative accounting that is propelling them?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
GrimPol
April 24, 2022, 11:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Of course, it works the other way round, if a Vegan goes to a ground with zero options, then they will have no choice but to eat elsewhere. If a meat-eater goes to vegan-only ground, they can still eat all of the stuff they just choose not to.

So it's like a religion then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 52
TheRealJohnLewis
April 24, 2022, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

I would love to argue Vegan v Meat issue with anyone, but it misses the FGR point totally. Who cares that they play in paper shorts, and spray tofu on their pitch. The point is that they have an average of 2,500 and Grimsby are double that. At this level gate, receipts are a large chunk of income. We are in 5th tier, they are now in the 3rd tier (now).
Is it the Peanut Burgers, the short term managers, or creative accounting that is propelling them?

Unfortunately, attendance figures do not dictate where you are placed in the league structure. Yes at this level gate receipts can be a major proportion of the income but that doesn't mean it has to be. 136k from Matchday, £2.8m for Media and £2.8m for commercial.

Since 2010 they have had 6 different managers compared to our 6/7 so that argument doesn't hold up.

Creative accounting? I see nothing to suggest that this isn't the case.

Peanut burgers! Diet can have a massive impact on how players perform and more and more elite sports people are going vegan so maybe they are ahead of their time.

Maybe instead of looking for a conspiracy or trying to deflect onto peanut burgers, just accept that their business model and ethos within their club was/is better than ours has been for the last 12 years.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
TheRealJohnLewis
April 24, 2022, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

So it's like a religion then?

No deity I'm afraid, they just choose not to eat meat products.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
Chrisblor
April 24, 2022, 11:43am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
I don't like that their ground is on a hill in the middle of nowhere and they have about 12 supporters, but the chip butty I had there a few seasons ago when JJ Hooper of all people miraculously scored a hat-trick was one of the best i've ever eaten. There's definitely a massive irony in Dale Vince's business MO being all about sustainability, when the football club he subsidises is anything but sustainable though.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
jamesgtfc
April 24, 2022, 12:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,049
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GrimPol

I would love to argue Vegan v Meat issue with anyone, but it misses the FGR point totally. Who cares that they play in paper shorts, and spray tofu on their pitch. The point is that they have an average of 2,500 and Grimsby are double that. At this level gate receipts are a large chunk of income. We are in 5th tier, they are now in the 3rd tier (now).

It doesn't miss the point, they are a lot more marketable on the basis that they get media coverage above and beyond what you would expect. Yes there are issues such as how financially sustainable their environmentally sustainable business model is but a lot of clubs could learn from a lot of what they do.

My kids are allergic to dairy which opened my eyes to the vegan movement. I'm not vegan but I certainly eat a lot less meat than I used to and completely avoid red meat. Catering options for those with allergies are so far behind at most football stadiums and I hope more offer similar offerings to FGR.

I went to London the other week and went to a vegan restaurant in Camden called Purezza. Restaurants like that are great because I don't have to worry about what may or may not be in the food for the kids and my sourdough pizza was probably the best pizza I've ever had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › F.G.R.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.