Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › F.G.R.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

F.G.R.

This thread currently has 4,995 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 23, 2022, 11:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from promotion plaice

Surely this is a wind up, Vince is an arrogant so-and-so.

Worked for ecotricity and went to the christmas party in a town shirt after we overtook them in top spot back in maybe 2013 or 2014 just before the party. He didnt have much to say about it and got a photo with him and he looked completely miserable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 23, 2022, 11:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What defines “proper history” Chaos?

Tend to agree and a bit unfair on Barrow who historically were a FL club and provided the second home game, and win, following Sir Matt’s return to BP ( if my memory is correct!!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
MrThirsty
April 23, 2022, 11:41pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Mixed feelings, but I resent any football club without a proper history or established base or pedigree getting into the FL and prospering because of money. I consider them imposters. I accept this is a flawed view, but I’d gladly swap FGR, Morecambe, Fleetwood, Crawley, Stevenage, Barrow etc for Grimsby, Stockport, Chesterfield, York, Wrexham, Notts County etc

Good mate is a Barrow fan and met up with him for the recent game at Scunthorpe. Their fans are proper fans supporting a club with proper history and they’re not minted. Also not sure that Morecambe bought their way into the FL so why pick on them (unless you think they are too small a club to be in the FL an insult thrown at us when we were in the Championship)?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
chaos33
April 24, 2022, 6:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from HertsGTFC

What defines “proper history” Chaos?

My view is really flawed on this and is easy to challenge and pick apart. It’s just a personal preference based on little more than my own perception of football league clubs when I was growing up. I guess by ‘proper history’ I meant, having previously been long established FL clubs with proper fan bases etc, but, as I said….this is a perception, and not particularly fair. I would probably ‘red cross’ myself for it if I could.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
GrimPol
April 24, 2022, 9:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Poojah
Less of a football club, more of a marketing vessel, Forest Green. Winning League Two on gates a fraction over 2,500, the fourth worst in the EFL? Something ain’t right there.

As lower league clubs go, they have a very distinct identity. A green, vegan club with an organic pitch and unique, vibrantly coloured kits made exclusively from natural materials. Well done for that. But a club’s identity should be the product of its history and fans, not its incumbent owner or his company. How many fans in the EFL would know that Forest Green’s traditional colours are in fact black and white stripes, black shorts and red socks? Not many. Nice colours, as well, those.

Don’t get me wrong, the commercial values bestowed by Dale Vince are at least positive; rather him, an entrepreneur pushing the green agenda, than an oil rich Oligarch. I just don’t like it when football clubs become play things in the objectives of wealthy individuals and or commercial organisations.

It’s only a matter of time before we end up with Rotherham Red Bulls, or a close equivalent, in the English football system. And that will be a sad day.  

The thing about Dale Vince, is he forces you to have vegan and no choice. At FGR catering is all vegan. If GTFC did all meat then there would be fruit cakes glueing themselves to our floodlights.
Scrape away the gloss from Dale Vince and you find a company that takes subsidies from meat eating/gas-diesel burning public. The rest of us.
His dogma cannot exist without the latter, yet he paints himself as a saint.

Regarding FGR finances, does anyone actually know their turnover to wages ratio?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
TheRealJohnLewis
April 24, 2022, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from GrimPol

The thing about Dale Vince, is he forces you to have vegan and no choice. At FGR catering is all vegan. If GTFC did all meat then there would be fruit cakes glueing themselves to our floodlights.
Scrape away the gloss from Dale Vince and you find a company that takes subsidies from meat eating/gas-diesel burning public. The rest of us.
His dogma cannot exist without the latter, yet he paints himself as a saint.

Regarding FGR finances, does anyone actually know their turnover to wages ratio?

He will stand there ramming ethical food down your throat as he forces you to eat their catering!  They are not forcing you to do anything, you have a choice to either eat there or not.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
jamesgtfc
April 24, 2022, 10:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
It makes me laugh when people sit there and criticise vegan food. Meat production has a huge impact on the environment and reducing your consumption is one of the best things you can do but a lot of vegan food is very flavoursome.

The finances of FGR don't seem to stack up though and a time will come when Dale Vince doesn't want to continue funding it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
Croxton
April 24, 2022, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
I can understand folk eating food sold in the ground if they want to help the club rather than other outlets but otherwise it is an experience to be avoided. Unless you regard it as part of ' football culture', then it is easy to plan ahead. Some aspects of the info for travelling fans on the OS are useful but only as back up for unforeseen circumstances. Whether it's vegan or not misses the point, why buy any of it?

I know I am old and square but a flask of coffee and a morsel of cake will suffice. Save your cash for the travel costs which are eye watering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
Running like emson
April 24, 2022, 10:34am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Poojah
Less of a football club, more of a marketing vessel, Forest Green. Winning League Two on gates a fraction over 2,500, the fourth worst in the EFL? Something ain’t right there.

As lower league clubs go, they have a very distinct identity. A green, vegan club with an organic pitch and unique, vibrantly coloured kits made exclusively from natural materials. Well done for that. But a club’s identity should be the product of its history and fans, not its incumbent owner or his company. How many fans in the EFL would know that Forest Green’s traditional colours are in fact black and white stripes, black shorts and red socks? Not many. Nice colours, as well, those.

Don’t get me wrong, the commercial values bestowed by Dale Vince are at least positive; rather him, an entrepreneur pushing the green agenda, than an oil rich Oligarch. I just don’t like it when football clubs become play things in the objectives of wealthy individuals and or commercial organisations.

It’s only a matter of time before we end up with Rotherham Red Bulls, or a close equivalent, in the English football system. And that will be a sad day.  

Agreed. We should be Grimsby Pelham…..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
TAGG
April 24, 2022, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Nailsworth, the perfect location for fracking

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › F.G.R.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.