jamesgtfc
April 14, 2022, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,044
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from diehardmariner
Great idea but surely the club should be offering something close to retail value for the season ticket seat?

If I couldn't go, I'd be more likely to sell my season ticket to a mate for face value (or something close) than get a fiver back.

There has to be a decent incentive for people to do it and I'm not sure a fiver will convince a lot of people. It's still a great incentive though and shows the club are looking to cram as many people in as they can.

This is the first time they've done this and I'm sure they won't be afraid to tweak it. We could run it next season where in the event of a sell out, season ticket holders can surrender their seat for £15 off their renewal the following season or for a £15 voucher in the club shop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 148
Southwark Mariner
April 14, 2022, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
or donate them to the Mariners Trust and all proceeds they keep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 148
immariner
April 14, 2022, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There has to be a decent incentive for people to do it and I'm not sure a fiver will convince a lot of people. It's still a great incentive though and shows the club are looking to cram as many people in as they can.

This is the first time they've done this and I'm sure they won't be afraid to tweak it. We could run it next season where in the event of a sell out, season ticket holders can surrender their seat for £15 off their renewal the following season or for a £15 voucher in the club shop.

They already have the money for your seat. Selling it back at face value or something in kind for similar value has near to zero value for the club. You have the choice, do you want to get back what you paid by selling to someone else or take a bit back for it and let the club benefit from the resale. It isn't and doesn't have to be more complicated than that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 148
jamesgtfc
April 14, 2022, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from immariner

They already have the money for your seat. Selling it back at face value or something in kind for similar value has near to zero value for the club. You have the choice, do you want to get back what you paid by selling to someone else or take a bit back for it and let the club benefit from the resale. It isn't and doesn't have to be more complicated than that

You have to look beyond that. This is about cramming as many people into BP as possible because the person who takes that ticket might be a first time visitor or a floating fan and decide to purchase their tickets earlier next time or even get a season ticket of their own. Sometimes in business you need to look beyond the cost to the organisation today.

If you gave someone £15 off next seasons season ticket 3 or 4 times over the course of a season, yes it's £60 less coming in at renewal but that £60 saving might be the thing that tempts the season ticket holder to get one for their child.

To be clear, I'm not criticising this offer from the club, I think it's great and probably the best they could do at short notice but I'm sure it can be tweaked for future sell outs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 148
Poojah
April 14, 2022, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
Christ almighty. Can’t we all just agree that it’s a novel idea and move on?

The sun is shining, we’re about to have a four day weekend and we’ve just sold out BP for one of only a handful of times in recent years. Let’s just enjoy it; tomorrow should be a fantastic occasion and if, and I still believe it’s a big if, we can pull off a win it should go down as a game to be remembered for a long time.

And just how sweet would it be to get one over Dave Challinor? I’ll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we beat them. Love it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 148
diehardmariner
April 14, 2022, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Equally so, it wasn't a criticism as such, more an observation.

There's little incentive there for me (I accept that's me, not everyone) to effectively gift the club back my season ticket for the day.  It's clearly a last minute thing they've pulled together at the first time we've really needed this.  

Delighted we're in a position at this stage of the season where we're looking at getting as many people through the gate as possible and as few empty seats too.  

Private Message
Reply: 115 - 148
aldi_01
April 14, 2022, 11:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Someone might be able to shed some light and I may be way off but aren’t their rules and the like regarding reselling…

To be fair, it’s been done at the top level and at American sport for years.

When I saw Orlando City the club literally emailed me a link to Stubhub and said that most tickets on there are ST shifting their tickets anyway. They couldn’t sell for more then face value.

Not really sure why anyones making a deal out of it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 148
diehardmariner
April 14, 2022, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Not sure anyone is making a deal out of it, it's literally an observation.

I'm not advocating them selling for more than face value.  That would just be a bit bizarre wouldn't it?  I certainly can't imagine living in an age where there's a black market for tickets at Blundell Park!

Put it this way - The club have my money from my season ticket.  If I can't go, they give me a fiver for it.  They then sell it for, what's the pre-match ticket price...£22??  That's £17 extra they've got on that one ticket.  That's a bloody good admin fee!

For comparison, Leeds give 100% of the ticket value back as an online credit.  https://www.leedsunited.com/tickets/ticket-exchange

Leeds are Leeds and we're Town, it's a different dynamic I get that.   Leeds are quite clear in their statement that their intent with the ticket exchange is to have as many bums on seats.  That, to me anyway, is a better approach than making a quick buck.  

As I've said above, it's clearly a last minute thing and as others have pointed out no-one is forced to use the scheme.  I'm also sure 1878 aren't too precious to receive feedback on something they've introduced overnight.  Fingers crossed this isn't the first time we see these or a similar scheme used as it'll mean something is going right in the first place!
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 148
SteffiMariner
April 14, 2022, 11:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
Not sure anyone is making a deal out of it, it's literally an observation.

I'm not advocating them selling for more than face value.  That would just be a bit bizarre wouldn't it?  I certainly can't imagine living in an age where there's a black market for tickets at Blundell Park!

Put it this way - The club have my money from my season ticket.  If I can't go, they give me a fiver for it.  They then sell it for, what's the pre-match ticket price...£22??  That's £17 extra they've got on that one ticket.  That's a bloody good admin fee!

For comparison, Leeds give 100% of the ticket value back as an online credit.  https://www.leedsunited.com/tickets/ticket-exchange

Leeds and Leeds and we're Town, it's a different dynamic I get that.   Leeds are quite clear in there statement that their intent with the ticket exchange is to have as many bums on seats.  That, to me anyway, is a better approach than making a quick buck.  

As I've said above, it's clearly a last minute thing and as others have pointed out no-one is forced to use the scheme.  I'm also sure 1878 aren't too precious to receive feedback on something they've introduced overnight.  Fingers crossed this isn't the first time we see these or a similar scheme used as it'll mean something is going right in the first place!

And if they gave you full value and then failed to sell the ticket, they would be out of pocket...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 148
jamesgtfc
April 14, 2022, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Like DHM, I'm not criticising or making a big deal of it, I'm just discussing how it can be improved in the future. I didn't know about the Leeds ticket exchange but the philosophy behind that makes a lot of sense to me. Like I said in an earlier post, schemes like this aren't about making money today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 148
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockport Seat Watch

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.