rancido
April 4, 2022, 8:54am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from aldi_01

I didn’t criticise; I prefaced my comment with ‘not condoning it’ but I still believe that so called professionals paid to remove morons should still have the correct training or be held to account for urine poor practice.

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post and noted your " not condoning it " remark. As for the rest of my post ,I stand by that. I have been attending town matches, home and away, for 56 years. I have been jubilant in victory and totally downcast in defeat but never to the extent that I drew the attention of the stewards.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
aldi_01
April 4, 2022, 8:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from rancido

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post and noted your " not condoning it " remark. As for the rest of my post ,I stand by that. I have been attending town matches, home and away, for 56 years. I have been jubilant in victory and totally downcast in defeat but never to the extent that I drew the attention of the stewards.

I agree, we’ve all lost our minds when we win or lose. There is an issue with stewarding at football though.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
Jarmo.Is.God
April 4, 2022, 9:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
The main thing for me, is not to panic when we lose, and not get carried away when we win.

BUT

Yesterday's team would have us sitting comfortably mid table in league 2.

Clifton is bloody fantastic where ever he plays.
McAtee is everything other than what Scunny said he would be
Taylor is the perfect sole striker with wingers
Smith is a total different player in CB, Waterfall must take a lot of credit for that.
Holohan.... how the hell have we done that?????

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
diehardmariner
April 4, 2022, 11:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
Pretty much the perfect performance.  In fact the only blight on it was the slow start that led to their goal, however we arguably needed that to get back into it.    Ironically the behaviour of their lad who got booked for celebrating needlessly, King, riled the crowd which may have in turn lifted the side.

Once we settled it was just pure quality.  Jones took a little bit of settling in and for the first 20 minutes was practically playing as a third centre-back, understandably he was blowing out of his bottom too.  Once he found his feet and developed an initial understanding with Holahan there was no looking back.  Stepping 10 yards further up field he had a flexible 3 of Clifton, Maguire-Drew and Holahan ahead of him, thus allowing McAtee to roam but further upfield than he has in recent weeks.  Less coming to get the ball in the centre circle but more buzzing on the shoulder of defenders and causing havoc.  

McAtee himself was back late Summer/early Autumn displays whilst literally everything started to stick with Taylor.   He had four guys who were willing and capable to work off him and simply Chesterfield couldn't handle it.  Added to that, the gaps created by the inverted Clifton and Maguire-Drew were exploited by Cropper and Amos to good effect.  As has become standard Waterfall was a rock whilst Smith looks better with each game, regardless of what league we're in next year I would love to see him in a Town shirt.  

Easy to get carried away as we're as capable of doing that as we are to suffering a turgid 0-0 at home to a relegation threatened side.  But that 11 looked quality, with options galore on the bench and everyone seemingly coming back to fitness as the right time.  Of course the flip of it all is that we're always only a few injuries away from looking thread bare but so is everyone else.

That's the standard set and it's given me an awful lot more confidence for the play-offs to come.  Regardless of where we finish, we shouldn't fear anyone - which was my issue before the weekend that I didn't think we were capable of taking games to the other sides in and around the play-off spots.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Nutsy
April 4, 2022, 11:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
In Jones have we finally got a replacement to Hessenthaler as a real engine definitely in the midfield?

Holohan sounds like a proper box to box.

I was surprised when we signed Jones but by all accounts he was a very good addition and Holohan seems an absolute steal at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
diehardmariner
April 4, 2022, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Not sure I saw Jones in the Hessenthaler role.  Both Hessenthaler, plus the guy who we finally got to replace him in Giles Coke, were/are great at breaking play up before giving it someone more technical to do the more attacking or creative work.  I rated Hessenthaler but he's far from a technical footballer.  Jones looks to a bit cuter with the ball and showed on Saturday he has that ability to turn the play over quite quickly.  Of course, all on a single performance.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
diehardmariner
April 4, 2022, 12:23pm
Vodka Drinker
You're absolutely spot on regards Holohan though.  He has slotted in with ease but more importantly has completely changed the dynamic of our midfield.  Exactly the type of player we've lacked for quite a few years.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
Grantley
April 4, 2022, 12:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Can see Holohan becoming the next Disley. He’s not a shouty-type of leader but he quietly moves the team forward and seems to know where to be. Very pleased we have him for another two years.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
mimma
April 4, 2022, 1:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
You have to credit Hurst again for getting these players in. He can see what others don't and steal them from their club for SFA, and they slot in seamlessly. We have all been complaining about what type of players we need, but Hurst knew what he wanted and quietly and effectively swooped when they became available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
Les Brechin
April 4, 2022, 1:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Grantley
Can see Holohan becoming the next Disley. He’s not a shouty-type of leader but he quietly moves the team forward and seems to know where to be. Very pleased we have him for another two years.

He'll have to get that hair dyed though.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.