Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

This thread currently has 4,207 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190

Most of that is common sense isn't it? I would definitely send information out when we are on a winning streak!

Dont You tube have statistics for views?

Wont data protection come into play in comparing data sets?

I agree if it gives us an edge it is worth doing in that sense but I dont think it will be transformative as say getting extra investment on board.

Data protection only comes into it if they share and distribute our personal data. Subtract the personal data and it can easily be analysed for trends.

The statistics are out there but you've still got to do something with them and that is where this partnership comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 8:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would, add are you saying that the millions Brentford have had wasn't a factor in their success?

I would also say that I am amazed so much personal information of players as young as 14 upwards is being held for sale.

Also if we identify these players will they be rushing to sign for a mid-table National league side?

I would also add that if it stops Paul Hurst from signing shitheads like Stefan Payne and also stop him from signing players that aren't even fit when they come here I will be all for it.

Obviously it helps that Brentford had the money to make clever investments, and then made more money as a result. Interestingly Brentford (and Brighton's) owners got all their money from professional betting. They used to have their own company and developed their own data analytics software that they developed for the purposes of high level betting - they basically worked out that they could beat the bookies if they had better software than what the betting companies used. They made all their money in the far east where bets for millions of pounds are allowed. They then used these same principles to build up the football clubs they each bought. https://theathletic.com/3029279/2021/12/24/cold-war-brighton-tony-bloom-matthew-benham-brentford/

This website gives you an idea of the sort of data that is available - https://www.sportperformanceanalysis.com/article/opta-leading-sport-data-provider

It's a fair point to ask how much this can help a National Leage team. I would imagine the answer is not as much as it could help clubs higher up the pyramid, but for me it still sounds encouraging that we are at least looking at these things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
ginnywings
February 10, 2022, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Another interesting read is about the 'aggregation of marginal gains' approach adopted by Dave Brailsford with British cycling. He turned them from poor underachievers to world dominance by searching for tiny margins of improvement, which when taken individually seemed trivial, but when combined, produced phenomenal results.

https://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains

Some of the things they did seem crazy on the face of it.

I know it's a bit if a stretch to compare it to our situation, but it can't hurt to try new approaches, even if it only improves us as a club off the pitch, rather than on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2022, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't know how Alan Buckley managed then.

Oh for crying out loud. Let’s try and stay in the past shall we? In fact why bother with crossbars, inflatable balls (or round ones). If there’s a vote for bringing back human sacrifice, you’ll be right on it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Vance Warner
February 10, 2022, 10:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,832
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from ginnywings
Another interesting read is about the 'aggregation of marginal gains' approach adopted by Dave Brailsford with British cycling. He turned them from poor underachievers to world dominance by searching for tiny margins of improvement, which when taken individually seemed trivial, but when combined, produced phenomenal results.

I know it's a bit if a stretch to compare it to our situation, but it can't hurt to try new approaches, even if it only improves us as a club off the pitch, rather than on it.

Would love to believe all those marginal gains were achieved legally!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
forza ivano
February 10, 2022, 10:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings

I used that all the time in my athletics coaching, think it's a superb doctrine
It illustrates rather well about how far we have slipped behind.we are now doing things that should've been done 5 or 10 years ago.
1878 must e realised very quickly that there is so much to do, just to get on an even keel with similar sized rivals.i suppose the only silver lining that most of the pitfalls can easily be avoided, as the trailblazers will have made those mistakes. There is obviously loads of case histories and examples of optimum practise to work from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2022, 11:34pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

In your own colourful way you have explained it a lot better than the press release which told us the square root of not a lot.

For those of us who don't know a lot about analytical studies, I think it is important that the board give a more detailed account of what they are trying to get out of it. I have found a lot of the utterances from the board too general, too vague and would prefer to be told the more practical manifestations of what they are proposing.

Edit. I have just listened to Hurst's pre-match interview with Humberside and they asked him what it meant and he doesn't seem to know specifically what they will get out of it either, so perhaps there isn't much more to say at the moment.

If you didn’t understand it why didn’t you ask what it meant, rather than making ignorant criticisms that make you look a right  côck?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
aldi_01
February 11, 2022, 6:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Oh for crying out loud. Let’s try and stay in the past shall we? In fact why bother with crossbars, inflatable balls (or round ones). If there’s a vote for bringing back human sacrifice, you’ll be right on it.

People always make comments like this as if it’s some sort of justification to support their argument that they don’t understand something…

We’re a flipping million miles away from plenty of clubs and that’s why we sit outside the playoffs in the conference and the likes of Brentford have gone past us…people obsess over the team rather than the whole entity but that’s not something that you can do in modern football.

People don’t understand this which is why is faces criticism…try telling Klopp that this excrement is pointless…

And let’s face it, the reason Buckley mkIII was a bit excrement was because he was too out of his depth, the game had moved on. Even the great lord himself admitted that…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2022, 7:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01
And let’s face it, the reason Buckley mkIII was a bit excrement was because he was too out of his depth, the game had moved on. Even the great lord himself admitted that…

I forget who it was and I want to say Bolland but they said Buckley made them remove their watch because he knew when they should stop running and when they had worked hard enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2022, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,779
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If you didn’t understand it why didn’t you ask what it meant, rather than making ignorant criticisms that make you look a right  côck?

Because I was agreeing with Arry and was making the point that the Board seem to speak a lot of words, often marketing speak and buzz words without giving more information and the practical benefits expected. Neither Hurst nor Matt Dean seem to know either.

Why do you have to insult people who see life differently? If you know what it might entail why don't you share it with posters?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.