Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 290 Guests

might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

This thread currently has 4,206 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
February 10, 2022, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262

I'm with 'Arry. A load of old gobbly Asian. What on earth do they want to find out that a competent board couldn't?.

This is a football club not some sort of social experiment. They do love their buzz words but it is getting a bit wearing.

The toilets in the Pontoon could do with a lick of paint next week and new ones built in the summer.

You'd rather have Stephen Marley, Mike Chapman, Phillip Day and John Fenty number crunching the data available on players than people who are literally learning to do it under expert supervision so that they can have a career in this very field? I doubt there's a board anywhere who are sat looking at the details of how far a player has run and the percentage of corners a player has taken that was successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

You'd rather have Stephen Marley, Mike Chapman, Phillip Day and John Fenty number crunching the data available on players than people who are literally learning to do it under expert supervision so that they can have a career in this very field? I doubt there's a board anywhere who are sat looking at the details of how far a player has run and the percentage of corners a player has taken that was successful.

If you read the press release it talks about data science for the "business and the organisation." It does not mention the playing side specifically. Nor does Stockwood in a tweet today - I took it that these people are looking at the business as a whole, hence my comment.

If it is solely on the playing side then fair enough, but I don't think it is from the information we have got so far.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
mariner91
February 10, 2022, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262

If you read the press release it talks about data science for the "business and the organisation." It does not mention the playing side specifically. Nor does Stockwood in a tweet today - I took it that these people are looking at the business as a whole, hence my comment.

If it is solely on the playing side then fair enough, but I don't think it is from the information we have got so far.

Even if it's not purely on the playing side so what? Most boards would hire consultants and people to do work for them anyway, if you set up a partnership with a university you get it for free. Lincoln set up a partnership with the university there with regards to the sports science department, these partnerships can and do work well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mariner91

Are you talking about players we may be looking to sign? Are we allowed access to that information from other club's players.

If it is our own players, don't we have a full-time analyst as well as some outside company helping him as well?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 2:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190

The playing side is part of the organisation. I would be very surprised if it didn't involve the playing side of the organisation given the partnership is with the Institute for Sport Business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
ska face
February 10, 2022, 2:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Can’t believe anyone would have a bad word to say about our píss-poor, unfashionable, midtable-non league club managing to set up a working partnership with the world's premier university for sports related subjects, and top 15 in the U.K. for computer science & information systems…but here we are.

The club must be absolutely swimming in data and information from fans that we probably don’t have the capacity or staff capability to make the most of. 4500 ticket sales a week - where are these people based, how do they travel to games, how often to do they come, how do they consume information about the club, how much do/could they spend, demographic information, it’s endless and that’s just in ticket sales.

Look at that exercise in the summer - 4000 responses to a survey and between Stockwood, Petit and Kristine Green (I think) they committed to reading every response. Far easier and less time consuming if you’ve got a piece of software that collates & analyses everything then spits out some recommendations on the other end.

Reads like a short-term project to assess the state of the club’s capabilities in data science and then make some recommendations on what to do & how to implement it. We need stuff like this to move forward long term.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
aldi_01
February 10, 2022, 3:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

That is the team…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
aldi_01
February 10, 2022, 3:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from arryarryarry

Are you talking about players we may be looking to sign? Are we allowed access to that information from other club's players.

If it is our own players, don't we have a full-time analyst as well as some outside company helping him as well?

You’re drifting in to the court case that old slap head created…

The days no doubt exists and it’s worked pretty well for Brentford….

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 4:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face
Can’t believe anyone would have a bad word to say about our píss-poor, unfashionable, midtable-non league club managing to set up a working partnership with the world's premier university for sports related subjects, and top 15 in the U.K. for computer science & information systems…but here we are.

The club must be absolutely swimming in data and information from fans that we probably don’t have the capacity or staff capability to make the most of. 4500 ticket sales a week - where are these people based, how do they travel to games, how often to do they come, how do they consume information about the club, how much do/could they spend, demographic information, it’s endless and that’s just in ticket sales.

Look at that exercise in the summer - 4000 responses to a survey and between Stockwood, Petit and Kristine Green (I think) they committed to reading every response. Far easier and less time consuming if you’ve got a piece of software that collates & analyses everything then spits out some recommendations on the other end.

Reads like a short-term project to assess the state of the club’s capabilities in data science and then make some recommendations on what to do & how to implement it. We need stuff like this to move forward long term.

In your own colourful way you have explained it a lot better than the press release which told us the square root of not a lot.

For those of us who don't know a lot about analytical studies, I think it is important that the board give a more detailed account of what they are trying to get out of it. I have found a lot of the utterances from the board too general, too vague and would prefer to be told the more practical manifestations of what they are proposing.

Edit. I have just listened to Hurst's pre-match interview with Humberside and they asked him what it meant and he doesn't seem to know specifically what they will get out of it either, so perhaps there isn't much more to say at the moment.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from aldi_01

You’re drifting in to the court case that old slap head created…

The days no doubt exists and it’s worked pretty well for Brentford….

Don't know what you are saying there.

As for Brentford, nothing to do with the millions plowed into them then?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.