Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 280 Guests

might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

This thread currently has 4,209 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 5:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't know what you are saying there.

As for Brentford, nothing to do with the millions plowed into them then?

There are many clubs that have ploughed millions in without any success (Sheff Wed, QPR, Derby etc.). The primary reason Brentford have been successful is that they have used data science to make astute signings at affordable prices and then sold many of them on for bigger profits and then replaced the sold players with newer versions whilst maintaining a successful team. It's not just Brentford who are doing this, most big clubs have data science departments now.

There are company's that have massive databases of detailed player statistics across the whole world for players ranging from ages of about 14 upwards and across all levels of football from non-league, U23s and all  top level leagues. Clubs can subscribe to get access to these databases, but the key skill nowadays is knowing how best to query and interpret the mass of data available to make the best decisions for your clubs circumstances and aspirations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

There are many clubs that have ploughed millions in without any success (Sheff Wed, QPR, Derby etc.). The primary reason Brentford have been successful is that they have used data science to make astute signings at affordable prices and then sold many of them on for bigger profits and then replaced the sold players with newer versions whilst maintaining a successful team. It's not just Brentford who are doing this, most big clubs have data science departments now.

There are company's that have massive databases of detailed player statistics across the whole world for players ranging from ages of about 14 upwards and across all levels of football from non-league, U23s and all  top level leagues. Clubs can subscribe to get access to these databases, but the key skill nowadays is knowing how best to query and interpret the mass of data available to make the best decisions for your clubs circumstances and aspirations.

I don't know how Alan Buckley managed then.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 6:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,729
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't know how Alan Buckley managed then.

There is obviously still a lot to be said for traditional methods, a good eye for a player, good scouts and good contacts. In Buckleys days that’s how all clubs operated, so it was a relatively level playing field. However, the world moves on and some clubs are making the most of the possibilities that big data and analytics offer. We’d be stupid as a club not to try to take advantage of these things and carry on solely with how we’ve always done things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
forza ivano
February 10, 2022, 6:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
i'm guessing here, but i'd imagine that the students might look at what merchandise we sell - how much/where/when/what we buy etc.  
i could easily see some interesting results from that which could be used to make the merchandising far more efficient, which could be a substantial benefit financially
is that plausible, computer people out there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I would, add are you saying that the millions Brentford have had wasn't a factor in their success?

I would also say that I am amazed so much personal information of players as young as 14 upwards is being held for sale.

Also if we identify these players will they be rushing to sign for a mid-table National league side?

I would also add that if it stops Paul Hurst from signing shitheads like Stefan Payne and also stop him from signing players that aren't even fit when they come here I will be all for it.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,054
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano
i'm guessing here, but i'd imagine that the students might look at what merchandise we sell - how much/where/when/what we buy etc.  
i could easily see some interesting results from that which could be used to make the merchandising far more efficient, which could be a substantial benefit financially
is that plausible, computer people out there?

The club will have records of where orders are posted to or where registered users live so elements of that can be achieved. In terms of website hits, it's a lot more generic in terms of the location but we could discover an unknown fan club in Outer Mongolia. These days though, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt given the increased use of VPNs.

The club YouTube is monetised, or at least should be with those subscriber numbers so data may help determine what kind of videos or length of videos achieve the most hits.

In terms of merchandise, what kind of merchandise do certain groups of people buy, when do they buy it, how is it impacted by results? If we are more likely to buy merchandise when the club has won a few games on the bounce then marketing could be sent to fans when this has happened.

These should also have data from other organisations to compare with our own or help decide what we do next. I think it's great news.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
pen penfras
February 10, 2022, 6:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71

In your own colourful way you have explained it a lot better than the press release which told us the square root of not a lot.

For those of us who don't know a lot about analytical studies, I think it is important that the board give a more detailed account of what they are trying to get out of it. I have found a lot of the utterances from the board too general, too vague and would prefer to be told the more practical manifestations of what they are proposing.

Edit. I have just listened to Hurst's pre-match interview with Humberside and they asked him what it meant and he doesn't seem to know specifically what they will get out of it either, so perhaps there isn't much more to say at the moment.

It does sound like typical management buzz words of saying something but not really having a clue what they intend to get out of it. But I don't see the problem, it's unlikely to be costing us a lot and we might get something out of it. Doesn't sound like it's anything to do with the playing side, and I can't see it really making a huge difference to anything business wise, but it can't hurt unless we're stumping up a lot for it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,793
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The club will have records of where orders are posted to or where registered users live so elements of that can be achieved. In terms of website hits, it's a lot more generic in terms of the location but we could discover an unknown fan club in Outer Mongolia. These days though, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt given the increased use of VPNs.

The club YouTube is monetised, or at least should be with those subscriber numbers so data may help determine what kind of videos or length of videos achieve the most hits.

In terms of merchandise, what kind of merchandise do certain groups of people buy, when do they buy it, how is it impacted by results? If we are more likely to buy merchandise when the club has won a few games on the bounce then marketing could be sent to fans when this has happened.

These should also have data from other organisations to compare with our own or help decide what we do next. I think it's great news.

Most of that is common sense isn't it? I would definitely send information out when we are on a winning streak!

Dont You tube have statistics for views?

Wont data protection come into play in comparing data sets?

I agree if it gives us an edge it is worth doing in that sense but I dont think it will be transformative as say getting extra investment on board.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
ginnywings
February 10, 2022, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Anyone struggling to grasp what data and analytics can do, watch the film Moneyball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
exiledmeggie
February 10, 2022, 7:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
Oh, I get it. Next time we lose we can blame it on the Computer and boffins, and not the board, manager and players like I have done so since Mike Hickman out on his shirt!

Not that Mike was a bad player.

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.