arryarryarry
January 31, 2022, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer
It was a perfectly decent and reasonable pass from Crocombe! If we're going to recommend that we stop attempting passes like that, on the off chance that the defender might make a once in a season balls-up, we might as well just play long-ball all the time.

Certainly a mistake by Amos but I would have much rather Crocombe had launched it down the touchline, I know he still wouldn't have saved it but he seems to stand an admire his pass before getting back to his goal.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
supertown
January 31, 2022, 5:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,471
Gold Stars: 53
It definitely takes a small deflection but not sure who off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
moosey_club
January 31, 2022, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from 137

I agree the pass was perfectly reasonable - it's the thinking behind doing it in that circumstance that puzzled me.

The point I'm trying to make was that the situation Crocombe found himself in called for 'old-fashioned no-nonsense defending'.

Probably I'm just showing my age...

I said the same Saturday, he was that far out of his goal that the clearance punt was the right choice to give him time to recover position.
A lesson to be learnt that didn't turn out to be too costly thankfully.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
ska face
January 31, 2022, 5:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Why would you want someone to lash the ball 50 yards up the pitch into the wind, to have it probably come back, rather than make a simple 10 yard pass to a team mate in acres of space with all the time in the world?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
ginnywings
January 31, 2022, 6:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ska face
Why would you want someone to lash the ball 50 yards up the pitch into the wind, to have it probably come back, rather than make a simple 10 yard pass to a team mate in acres of space with all the time in the world?

Exactly my thoughts. It was blowing straight into his face that half, and for me, he made the right call. Think it may also have been going to his weaker side.

Amos had all the time in the world to turn, but had a brain fart and played totally the wrong ball with his wrong foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
moosey_club
January 31, 2022, 11:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from ska face

Because the goal was unguarded and we were well on top at that point.
He could have even smashed it into touch and let everyone reset.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
February 1, 2022, 12:37am
Guest User
We were kicking into the wind too.

Nothing wrong with Crocombe’s pass or decision to retain possession.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Crocombe should be thinking (imho) "We're 2 up and Wealdstone are not threatening much. We've got this game won provided we don't do
anything stupid. If I pass the ball and someone does do something stupid - the goal is unprotected. If I hoof it and sprint back that won't
be the case."                              
(We all know that footballers can make mistakes - it's in the nature of the sport.)

For clarity, I think both Crocombe and Amos will turn out to be decent signings for us.
Reply: 26 - 42
ska face
February 1, 2022, 5:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Blast it into touch when there’s a 10 yard pass on? Fúck knows what goes on in some of your heads.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
lukeo
February 1, 2022, 7:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
2-0 up. Don't need to push or panic so for me a simple pass to a defender to keep possession of the ball was the correct thing to do...

I guess its all about opinions here, I for one think he made the right choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Poojah
February 1, 2022, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
I find it bizarre that there’s even a discussion going on here to be honest - that sort of exchange between goalkeeper and full-back happens at least 5 or 6 times a game, and 99.9% of the time it’s completely overlooked because it’s dealt with properly and the game moves on.

Amos had time and space, it’s just unfortunate that what he also had was a complete brain fart. I think he’d be the first to step up and admit that too.

He played really well other than that. Crocombe is also playing well and looks comfortable in the shirt now, which is good news. He was in no way complicit in that goal and I think it’s time to move on.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wealdstone goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.