Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sacrilege!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 251 Guests

Sacrilege!

This thread currently has 9,067 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Son of Cod
September 9, 2021, 10:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Maringer
Cod doesn't taste of much to me. I much prefer haddock (and fresh whiting is even nicer).

Tastiest fish I've ever eaten? I caught some mackerel off a boat out of Whitby the other year and grilled them on the bone just a couple of hours later. Absolutely delicious with a sprinkling of salt and a squeeze of lemon. Biggest problem was getting rid of the fish guts afterwards. I wasn't foolish enough to attempt to fillet them without a proper knife.

Yep something about grilled fish that's fresh that just hits the spot. Tastiest fish I ever had was at a trout festival in Korea. They released a load of trout into a massive shallow swimming pool and let people in in groups of about a hundred and you had two minutes to catch a maximum of two with your bare hands. It was absolutely baltic, was in January and they made everyone change into matching shorts and t-shirts. I managed to be the first person to get one out and jumped out and bagged it up and handed it to my girlfriend at the time who was waiting at the side and then jumped back in and got another one straight away, bagged that up, handed it to her and jumped back in and helped some kids catch theirs. I was like some kind of genius trout catcher in this mad game. I've never been fishing in my life, but I'm convinced it was because I was born in Cleethorpes. The whole thing was really cruel on those trout now I look back on it. We took them to a fish monger on the site though who gutted them and then we took them back to the chalet we were staying at and grilled them and they were absolutely delicious.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 82
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2021, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yep something about grilled fish that's fresh that just hits the spot. Tastiest fish I ever had was at a trout festival in Korea. They released a load of trout into a massive shallow swimming pool and let people in in groups of about 100 and you had two minutes to catch a maximum of two with your bare hands. It was absolutely baltic, was in January and they made everyone change into matching shorts and t-shirts. I managed to be the first person to get one out and jumped out and bagged it up and handed it to my girlfriend at the time who was waiting at the side and then jumped back in and got another one straight away, bagged that up, handed it to her and jumped back in and helped some kids catch theirs. I was like some kind of genius trout catcher in this mad game. I've never been fishing in my life, but I'm convinced it was because I was born in Cleethorpes. Really cruel on those trout now I look back on it but we took it to a fish monger on the site who gutted it and then we took it back to the chalet we were staying at and grilled it and it was absolutely delicious.

If you like Korean food you ought to come to New Malden next time you’re in London. Sadly the dodgy ‘karaoke’ bar got pulled down though (can’t remember what the Korean word is).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 82
Son of Cod
September 9, 2021, 10:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If you like Korean food you ought to come to New Malden next time you’re in London. Sadly the dodgy ‘karaoke’ bar got pulled down though (can’t remember what the Korean word is).

Noraebang! And I live in London now mate, been to New Malden a few times. Definitely the best Korean food in London for sure. Most of the ones centrally aren't Korean owned in my experience.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 82
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2021, 10:59pm
Meths Drinker
It’s the most random thing isn’t it? An ordinary semi-detached suburb, which just happens to have the biggest Korean ex-pat population outside California. Read somewhere it’s as many as 10,000 people out of a population of 40,000 in the KT3 postcode area. Though it doesn’t seem as much as 25% when you’re out and about.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 82
Son of Cod
September 9, 2021, 11:05pm
Champagne Drinker
It’s the most random thing isn’t it? An ordinary semi-detached suburb, which just happens to have the biggest Korean ex-pat population outside California. Read somewhere it’s as many as 10,000 people out of a population of 40,000 in the KT3 postcode area. Though it doesn’t seem as much as 25% when you’re out and about.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard why that's the case though, do you not know why there are so many Koreans there then either? Both the Koreans I work with live there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 82
Perkins
September 9, 2021, 11:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
The real sacrilege is gravy on fish and chips.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 82
KingstonMariner
September 9, 2021, 11:17pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard why that's the case though, do you not know why there are so many Koreans there then either? Both the Koreans I work with live there.

I heard that the ambassador lived there and the European HQ of Samsung used to be in NM and it was a convenient for the expats who worked there to live locally. Then whenever anyone transferred to London, say to work in the City, they would ask where to live and it sort of snowballed from there. It’s all since the late 80s I think. I first moved nearby in 1994 (the week Buckley moved to West Brom!) and it was noticeable and it certainly seems to have grown since then. From a couple of shops and a travel agent to it being several shops and loads of restaurants. And Korean signs outside churches.

Lots of kids from Korean families at the schools my kids went/go to (23 down to 15).

During the 2002 World Cup it went mental around the Fountain Pub (now demolished for flats).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 82
Poojah
September 9, 2021, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,897
Gold Stars: 1,527

I heard that the ambassador lived there and the European HQ of Samsung used to be in NM and it was a convenient for the expats who worked there to live locally. Then whenever anyone transferred to London, say to work in the City, they would ask where to live and it sort of snowballed from there. It’s all since the late 80s I think. I first moved nearby in 1994 (the week Buckley moved to West Brom!) and it was noticeable and it certainly seems to have grown since then. From a couple of shops and a travel agent to it being several shops and loads of restaurants. And Korean signs outside churches.

Lots of kids from Korean families at the schools my kids went/go to (23 down to 15).

During the 2002 World Cup it went mental around the Fountain Pub (now demolished for flats).

One of my old clients was LG, based over in Weybridge right next to the Mercedes test track. That’s about half an hour away from New Malden I’d have thought - big old set up and I’d guess at least 50% of employees were Korean.

The canteen was fúcking amazing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 82
promotion plaice
September 9, 2021, 11:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

Smoked fish is nice  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 82
Son of Cod
September 9, 2021, 11:49pm
Champagne Drinker

Interesting, cheers for that. Never really thought to even look it up or anything before you mentioning it being random, to be honest. Also, we all remember where we were and what we were doing when we found out Buckley had gone to WBA. I was 10 eating Coco Pops for breakfast and got very angry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sacrilege!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.