Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 271 Guests

Now the negative bit

This thread currently has 10,609 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
September 6, 2021, 10:06am
Guest User
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Always makes me laugh when people post a controversial opinion and then moan about being criticised.  There's not a great deal of moderation on this forum - other than overt racism, anything goes.  So yes, you're allowed an opinion.

If you're going to single out a player, articulate your criticism constructively and be prepared to defend your point of view.  

On Macca, everyone knows his weaknesses and it's unlikely that he'll rectify them now.  I still think he's a very capable player at this level, but if Hurst were to find someone more reliable, he'd drop him.

Maybe we have someone more reliable already at the club?

Reply: 80 - 97
ska face
September 6, 2021, 10:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's at the far post. Efete or Waterfall should have dealt with that one.

Are you real?

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/wvgX0ND2/A85-F2582-E5-F2-441-D-A923-13-E6-D744-C77-E.jpg[/img]

Why would any defender be expected to be stood on the goal line to deal with a looping flick on? Starting to see how Fenty managed 20 years unchallenged at the club when people will ignore objective reality.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 97
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2021, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face

Are you real?

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/wvgX0ND2/A85-F2582-E5-F2-441-D-A923-13-E6-D744-C77-E.jpg[/img]

Why would any defender be expected to be stood on the goal line to deal with a looping flick on? Starting to see how Fenty managed 20 years unchallenged at the club when people will ignore objective reality.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Xqk24yT7/Screenshot-20210906-105329.png[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 97
ska face
September 6, 2021, 11:07am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
So in the time it’s taken the ball to travel 40 yards, McKeown’s managed, what, 2?

Come on.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 97
jamesgtfc
September 6, 2021, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,053
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ska face
So in the time it’s taken the ball to travel 40 yards, McKeown’s managed, what, 2?

Come on.

He has to be at the near post for the flick on. He doesn't come out of it totally innocent but between Efete, Waterfall and McKeown that was very preventable.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 97
Poojah
September 6, 2021, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He has to be at the near post for the flick on. He doesn't come out of it totally innocent but between Efete, Waterfall and McKeown that was very preventable.

I’d go with this. I don’t think McKeown is blameless, he doesn’t really react to the ball looping over his head, but as you can see from the above screencap Efete is with Widdowson, and then all of a sudden he isn’t.

It’s a bit of a freak goal but made possible by both goalkeeper and defender switching off for a split second. Both were at fault.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 97
diehardmariner
September 6, 2021, 11:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,719
Gold Stars: 543
I thought all 3 Barnet goals were avoidable.  Sloppy and static defending.  Two days after the excitement of the game have died down these are things we need addressing.  It's no good having two solid displays and then go to bits at crucial stages.  Make no mistake, that could have cost us on Saturday and if we don't sort it out, it will end up costing us in the future.

Be it McKeown or anyone else, no-one should be exempt from judgement or comment.  I personally thought it was a typical McKeown performance.  One extreme to the other, a very smart save in the first half and then a period of 15 minutes where he seems to get the jitters and is rooted to his line with fear of crosses.  The third goal is just an almighty intercourse up by everyone, but before that he had got caught in no mans land a few times on crosses which seemed to both install fear in the defence and give Barnet encouragement to lob crosses in too.

I like McKeown and I think he's been an outstanding servant to the club.  I love his passion and can quite clearly see that he holds the club very close to this heart.  But if we take those factors out of it and if he was a new face to the club who had arrived in the summer, I wonder how much more criticism he would take.

I liked the look of the Kiwi 'keeper from what I say at Boston and wouldn't object to him getting a run in the first team.  I know McKeown is established as first choice but be it a goalkeeper or a centre-forward, no-one should be guaranteed a spot and whilst a mistake doesn't justify losing your place it should always come down to who is the best man for the job at that time.

Looking at how we have set-up in the first two home games, it looks to be like we're a team who want to distribute the ball well with a mixture of direct play and then quick counter attacking type which utilises the pace and energy from wide.  Added to that the league, whilst not as direct as 6 years ago, is still reliant on a lot of crosses getting lobbed in from opposition sides.  The question, to my mind anyway, is who will suit the team the best out of the two 'keepers.
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 97
toontown
September 6, 2021, 12:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought all 3 Barnet goals were avoidable.  Sloppy and static defending.  Two days after the excitement of the game have died down these are things we need addressing.  It's no good having two solid displays and then go to bits at crucial stages.  Make no mistake, that could have cost us on Saturday and if we don't sort it out, it will end up costing us in the future.

Be it McKeown or anyone else, no-one should be exempt from judgement or comment.  I personally thought it was a typical McKeown performance.  One extreme to the other, a very smart save in the first half and then a period of 15 minutes where he seems to get the jitters and is rooted to his line with fear of crosses.  The third goal is just an almighty intercourse up by everyone, but before that he had got caught in no mans land a few times on crosses which seemed to both install fear in the defence and give Barnet encouragement to lob crosses in too.

I like McKeown and I think he's been an outstanding servant to the club.  I love his passion and can quite clearly see that he holds the club very close to this heart.  But if we take those factors out of it and if he was a new face to the club who had arrived in the summer, I wonder how much more criticism he would take.

I liked the look of the Kiwi 'keeper from what I say at Boston and wouldn't object to him getting a run in the first team.  I know McKeown is established as first choice but be it a goalkeeper or a centre-forward, no-one should be guaranteed a spot and whilst a mistake doesn't justify losing your place it should always come down to who is the best man for the job at that time.

Looking at how we have set-up in the first two home games, it looks to be like we're a team who want to distribute the ball well with a mixture of direct play and then quick counter attacking type which utilises the pace and energy from wide.  Added to that the league, whilst not as direct as 6 years ago, is still reliant on a lot of crosses getting lobbed in from opposition sides.  The question, to my mind anyway, is who will suit the team the best out of the two 'keepers.

I think macca saves us more points in great saves than he costs  in goals from crosses etc. BUT a more relevant question leading on from your post is does he impact the rest of the team. I think we end up with bigger slower centre halves because we need that aerial dominance due to macca, and effete and crookes likewise are big and strong for fill backs but poor in terms of quality going forward. I suspect that they might also be in the team cos of this extra aerial support they give for crosses and free kicks etc.

Efette has looked dodgy to me defensively too though, this being another example (but macca shares responsibility, waterfall too probably) although crookes looked sloppy in this game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 97
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 6, 2021, 1:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from toontown

I think macca saves us more points in great saves than he costs  in goals from crosses etc. BUT a more relevant question leading on from your post is does he impact the rest of the team. I think we end up with bigger slower centre halves because we need that aerial dominance due to macca, and effete and crookes likewise are big and strong for fill backs but poor in terms of quality going forward. I suspect that they might also be in the team cos of this extra aerial support they give for crosses and free kicks etc.

Efette has looked dodgy to me defensively too though, this being another example (but macca shares responsibility, waterfall too probably) although crookes looked sloppy in this game.

Over the years the one position we have always had decent players during Hurst’s management is full back. Crooked reminds me of a younger version of Gregor Robertson as he lacks a little pace but feel under PH he will get stronger as the season goes on. Re Efette not sure I share your assessment as two clean sheets and two of the three goals came down the other flank on Saturday. Sure he probably could and should have done better with the third goal but not seen him get skinned yet and think as his confidence grows throughout the season I believe he will prove a great attacking full back.

Time will tell.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 97
Maringer
September 6, 2021, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ska face

Come on.

Yeah, but that's still twice as many yards as Waterfall managed at the same time!

After watching the highlights, I agree that you would have expected McKeown to deal with it, but then I'd have expected Waterfall to deal with it as well. Both had their divers boots on for that long throw. Widdowson just jogged forward and couldn't believe his luck. I think the flicked header probably would have gone in without Widdowson's touch as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Now the negative bit

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.