Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,875
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from dicko995

That's a brilliant angle. Great strike.

Football's back.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
marinerjase
September 5, 2021, 10:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
The two games at Blundell Park the last two weekends have shown:

With thoughts and considerations to the paying customers - that they will attend if they are thought of and respected - rather than just taken as granted, or deemed as an irrelevance.

That support will contribute towards a far healthier and positive environment, which will undoubtedly aid the team.

It’s been noticeable how many have commented that they are attending, and enjoying it, having not been for a while.

Of course I’ve no doubt it won’t always be the same..the first time points are dropped there’ll be an element of ‘negativity’..there was yesterday by a small number at half time. But even then the vast majority were encouraged by the way we were playing.
I’d have gone home quite happy even if we hadn’t have got the points yesterday, the atmosphere pre-game, during the game, and afterwards was brilliant, the football was excellent at times, from both sides, and it was a cracking game made better with the atmosphere.

It’s just good to see Blundell Park being frequented by people of all ages, being thought of, and actually wanting to be there.

As for the team..it’s very much a work in progress imho, we’ve got a very good one in McAtee..both in terms of ability, nerve, leadership and attitude. Hunt has again a fantastic attitude, slight in physique but doesn’t hide, wants the ball and pivotal in getting the team playing. And there’s others who will undoubtedly improve as the season goes with experience and understanding. Of course there is a need to get a couple in as and when, but there no rush..

On the whole I don’t think anyone can argue it has been a tremendous start to the season.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
HertsGTFC
September 5, 2021, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Even at 1 - 3 down yesterday it still felt like we'd come back and at least get a point, the supporters not getting on their backs certainly helped with this though.

The players application and mental strength at 2 goals behind in front of a big crowd speaks volumes for this squad and the environment that Hurst is trying to create. I do agree the sending off certainly worked to our advantage as you could see Barnet then went into cheat mode rather than trying to keep the ball but you can only deal with what you're presented with and the players did that really effectively.

Yesterday felt like a day when the improved match day experience, recent positivity and having owners that engage and listen really helped put the support in a place where they'd get behind the lads when they needed backing rather than barracking.

This game will be remembered by me as an afternoon where I saw a snapshot of what success could look like if everyone stays on the same page and shows some patience.

Some bigger tests ahead for sure but at least we for the first time in a long time can see what the manager and club are trying to do, long may it continue as ultimately it will pay dividends.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
coddy60
September 5, 2021, 11:43am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Speaking to Coke after the game, he said the attitude in the dressing room is one of the best he's seen in his career, credit to Hurst for getting in the right characters, again 👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
gary_elton
September 5, 2021, 1:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Yesterday my better half predicted  a 4 - 3 scoreline  Towns favour... I chuckled... .now youre talking daft said I.

When we went 3 - 1 down my heart sank , but she said.. I told you 4 - 3, just wait....

Why oh why didnt I throw a tenner at the Bookies   ????

Wonder what odds I wudda got  ?

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
KingstonMariner
September 5, 2021, 1:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’m hesitant about saying this as I’m afraid it might be premature.

It’s not difficult to see how we could have lost that game. We did didn’t, partly because of the work rate and talent of the squad, partly because of the support from the crowd and partly because of luck. I say luck in that it’s lucky at this level getting refs who make the right decision 😉.

That fight back could be a season defining performance. Seems odd to be saying of game 2, but that’s the way it feels.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
Limerick Mariner
September 5, 2021, 1:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s not difficult to see how we could have lost that game. We did didn’t, partly because of the work rate and talent of the squad, partly because of the support from the crowd and partly because of luck. I say luck in that it’s lucky at this level getting refs who make the right decision 😉.

That fight back could be a season defining performance. Seems odd to be saying of game 2, but that’s the way it feels.

Our neighbours down the A46 were "lucky" for 3 seasons on the trot - all those penalties and late goals, scabby feckers...of course at the same time they had unrivalled fitness, work ethic and great belief because of that. Maybe it was manufactured luck...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 86
MuddyWaters
September 5, 2021, 1:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

You make your own luck.

There's no doubt that many GTFC teams in the last 15-20 years would have rolled over at 3-1. These lads didn't.
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
mimma
September 5, 2021, 2:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
If Carlesberge did entertaining comebacks.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
lew chaterleys lover
September 5, 2021, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,773
Gold Stars: 237

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I said earlier in the week it is all about momentum at this stage, and it was important for us to get something from this game to keep our good start going. To come back like that, in such thrilling fashion will do wonders for the camps morale and confidence, and it bodes well for a decent season especially if we can capitalise by getting extra bodies in and a decent out and out striker. We have had seasons in the past, admittedly many moons ago where the portents were good from early on, and this is how it feels this time. I am not saying we will win the league, but a playoff place is well within our grasp.

I hadn't seen any of the new players till the Weymouth game, but credit to Hurst for finding real quality and getting them to blend so early on. Some of our football yesterday was sublime, and how Mcatee is playing at this level I will never know.

The crowd have been fantastic which is obviously a direct consequence of the new owners' approach and despite me being ultra cheesed off going back to non league I think my season ticket will be money very well spent.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.