9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
September 4, 2021, 11:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
If last week felt like an occasion, and even slightly surreal, being back at BP again today just felt totally and utterly normal, almost like the nightmare of the last 18 months had been a dream. Without a shadow of a doubt, that was the best afternoon I’ve had in all that time and probably a lot longer.

I’m going to overlook our defensive fragilities today because frankly they contributed to what was an absolutely brilliant spectacle. Not the best game you’ll ever see in terms of quality, but as far as entertainment and drama go you couldn’t ask for much more for your ticket money.

After the early penalty and goal we should have put them to bed, but lo and behold we go in 2-1 down against the general run of play in the first half. Welcome to the Conference.

Then, when that godawful third goal went in, I couldn’t help but think, “Seriously, why do I fúcking bother!?”.

If I needed a reminder, it arrived within the space of a minute. A penalty, what looked like a harsh red card and a goal to pull one back was just what we needed to make things interesting. Yet another cool as fúck finish from McAtee, who if not for shocking officials would have 4 in 3 so far.

Then, and this might be an unpopular opinion, the goal of the game from Taylor. After not particularly impressing me against Weymouth I thought he did really well today, and to turn the ball into the bottom corner with that diving header when his body shape and weight were pointing towards the corner flag was incredible - really difficult to do.

In saying that, I mean to take nothing away from Alex Hunt’s brilliant stoppage time free kick. I’ve watched it back on the telly several times and the technique is superb. Focus on his feet rather than the ball as it hits the back of the net - he has a big future ahead of him and the fact that he wasn’t afraid to drop down to the rough and tumble of the National League despite his slight physique is a massive credit to the kid.

The standout player for me though was McAtee. Putting his two pens aside he was aggressive, hard working and just has this air of quality about everything he does. Towards the end he was dropping deep just to get on the ball - he seems to have the confidence that he can change and dictate the game, with the ability to back it up. If he doesn’t score 20 this season I promise I will do something terrible with a sausage in front of the pontoon.

Managed to make it to the fan zone for the first time at half time. Beer was great and really impressed with the set-up but there was hardly anyone there. It’s tucked away in the corner and I think it needs some more prominent advertising. It would be a crying shame if it didn’t make a go of it long-term, but it needs more footfall than I saw at half time if it’s going to work.

All-in-all though, that was a thoroughly enjoyable match and one I expect will stay in the memory for a long, long time.

Don’t you just fúcking love football?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 86
arryarryarry
September 5, 2021, 12:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Well you can't say that wasn't exciting. Some very good football, some dodgy defending, 2 sending offs and a couple of outstanding goals.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 86
toontown
September 5, 2021, 12:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Fanzone was packed before the game, I gave up on queuing for a drink there and went to the bar in the ground. Obviously for half time it's a bit out of the way. Does need some more prominent advertising in my opinion though for the uninitiated as its not obvious being tucked away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 86
Marinerdeano
September 5, 2021, 12:56am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Think Hurst will go for 442 a fair bit this season with Sousa most effective deployed as an out and out winger. Does leave us a bit stretched at times which makes me wonder if he may be interested in a left sided midfielder that tucks in like Nolan did. Flipping brilliant today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 86
fishcake63
September 5, 2021, 3:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
in mcatee i honestly believe we have the best player in the conferance his control vision composure & workrate belong at a much level than this , love watching him play reminds me of nolan in some ways
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 86
TAGG
September 5, 2021, 9:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 86
ginnywings
September 5, 2021, 9:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Well what a great day that was for my first game in what? 20 months?

Went to the ground the earliest I have ever been and walked into the fanzone at 1pm. Chris Parker from the Trust bought me and my brother a pint (thanks Chris) and we watched the place fill up as kick off approached. Had another beer and an excellent Scotch egg, then proceeded into the ground, where my ticket was scanned- very 21st century. I sit down the bottom of the Upper and the new glass barrier is most welcome and another great touch.

As for the game, I couldn't have wished for more drama to welcome me back. Even at 1-3 down, I still felt we were the better side and was fairly confident we could get something from the day. Would have settled for a point, but the winner just put the icing on a very nice cake. Just as he was about to run up, I said, "go on lad, show us your quality", hoping he would put in a great cross and we would have someone on the end of it. Was astonished when he belted it into the net. Reminded me of the Conor Townsend free kick from the other side. Brilliant! It was also hilarious to watch their keeper suddenly have no time at all to take his goal kicks all of a sudden, after taking an age over previous ones. I love it when that happens.

First time I've seen most of the players and have to say that Hurst has a talent for finding good ones. McAtee is the stand out and was superb, though he did spurn 2 glorious chances. He will only get better I feel. Sousa was a right handful but his delivery needs working on. A lot of his crosses were weak and under hit, but again, that will improve with full time training. Bapaga beat himself more than he did the opposition and he needs to work on the defensive side of his game too. Taylor looks to be a clever, experienced forward who is a good focal point and he took his goal superbly. I agree with Poojah in that his was the best goal of the day. To score from that angle was no mean feat and I was surprised when it hit the back of the net, fully expecting it to go wide. Hunt was superb considering his relative inexperience.

The defence had a bad day at the office and got away with it, but it's something that needs work for the tougher challenges ahead.

After the game, I went back and had another celebratory pint in the fanzone, before walking home a very happy Town fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 86
toontown
September 5, 2021, 9:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
Well what a great day that was for my first game in what? 20 months?

Went to the ground the earliest I have ever been and walked into the fanzone at 1pm. Chris Parker from the Trust bought me and my brother a pint (thanks Chris) and we watched the place fill up as kick off approached. Had another beer and an excellent Scotch egg, then proceeded into the ground, where my ticket was scanned- very 21st century. I sit down the bottom of the Upper and the new glass barrier is most welcome and another great touch.

As for the game, I couldn't have wished for more drama to welcome me back. Even at 1-3 down, I still felt we were the better side and was fairly confident we could get something from the day. Would have settled for a point, but the winner just put the icing on a very nice cake. Just as he was about to run up, I said, "go on lad, show us your quality", hoping he would put in a great cross and we would have someone on the end of it. Was astonished when he belted it into the net. Reminded me of the Conor Townsend free kick from the other side. Brilliant! It was also hilarious to watch their keeper suddenly have no time at all to take his goal kicks all of a sudden, after taking an age over previous ones. I love it when that happens.

First time I've seen most of the players and have to say that Hurst has a talent for finding good ones. McAtee is the stand out and was superb, though he did spurn 2 glorious chances. He will only get better I feel. Sousa was a right handful but his delivery needs working on. A lot of his crosses were weak and under hit, but again, that will improve with full time training. Bapaga beat himself more than he did the opposition and he needs to work on the defensive side of his game too. Taylor looks to be a clever, experienced forward who is a good focal point and he took his goal superbly. I agree with Poojah in that his was the best goal of the day. To score from that angle was no mean feat and I was surprised when it hit the back of the net, fully expecting it to go wide. Hunt was superb considering his relative inexperience.

The defence had a bad day at the office and got away with it, but it's something that needs work for the tougher challenges ahead.

After the game, I went back and had another celebratory pint in the fanzone, before walking home a very happy Town fan.

Agree with all that,but just to say as well what a fantastic atmosphere it was, the crowd really got behind the players and helped drive them on for the win. Fans were a very impressive 12th man yesterday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 86
ginnywings
September 5, 2021, 10:24am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from toontown

Agree with all that,but just to say as well what a fantastic atmosphere it was, the crowd really got behind the players and helped drive them on for the win. Fans were a very impressive 12th man yesterday

Yes, of course. The fans were in good spirits, even at 1-3 down, they didn't get at the players, because we could see that the players were giving their all without much luck until that point. There is definitely a different mood around the place and the fans are more accepting than they were the last time we were non league I suspect.

Couple of other points I forgot to mention was Jason and Debbie mingling with the fans pre match in the fanzone, which was a nice touch.

Also, I think that one of the turning points of the game was when their no 26 went off with cramp. He was having a good game and Taylor wasn't getting much joy against him. Think he was the one marshalling their defence and with him going and the other being sent off, they just imploded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 86
dicko995
September 5, 2021, 10:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 26
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.