Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 290 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,210 views. Print
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
August 28, 2021, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
We deserved the win, impressed with Taylor first half who gave us a real focal point. Always going to be tough against a team that had already played and Weymouth were decent enough.

Plusses? The defence, Taylor first half and a quality McAtee finish. Less so? Sousa was a little greedy and Hunt didn’t do a lot.

Mom Efete.
Private Message
GtfcGarner
August 28, 2021, 6:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Well, what a perfect start to the season with the 3 points. Think there was only ever one team in it barring a 10 minute spell for Weymouth, we look like such a better footballing team playing some brilliant stuff at times. Below is how I rated the players during the game.

McKeown - Steady eddie. Didn't really have alot to do but did what was needed well.

Crookes - Solid but just wanted to whack the ball down the line all the time wanting a runner instead of playing a nice little ball

Pearson - Solid as a rock never lost anything and everything in the air to be won was.

Longe-King - Echo with Pearson. Seeing him in person he looks like a man mountain and played like it aswell. Strong, composed on the ball and has a touch of class about him.

Efete - Loves to get forward and has a great engine on him. Think he faded towards 2nd half which is to be understandable.

Clifton - What you see is what you get with Harry.. Hard word grit and determination, never stopped running for the full 90. Think he will be so important this year.

Fox - Quality on the ball which I think we've been missing in the past few years, can tell why he's played in league one consistently. Has a grafting element to his game aswell.

Hunt - Small in stature but always wanting the ball and so clever in his positions on the pitch.

Sousa - Going to be one of those players that gets you out your seat every game. Everything he does doesn't always pay off but when it does it will be magic, let's keep getting behind him. Should of scored first half, but atleast he's getting into the positions

McAtee - My MOTM, not just for his goal but constant pressing, quality on the ball and bringing others into play.. Was a joy to watch today I'm really looking forward to watching this lad play.

Taylor - Brilliant considering he hasn't played any pre season, great linkup player and can see why all his career has been I'm the football league.. Unit who wins headers and very clever with the ball. Think we will see good things from Taylor.

LJL - Absolute nuisance and a handful for defenders. Can't ask for much more from him than what he gave today.

All in all, a good opening win and the 3 points. Would have liked it to be more convincing however we are off the mark in the best possible way. Great to see some similar faces back at BP!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 143
VinnyGTFC
August 28, 2021, 6:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +142
Gold Stars: 21
Sousa looks out of his depth and will struggle against good teams. Set plays were awful. For the most part we were comfortable without being clinical. All in all we will need to play better but some positives to take. On we go.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 143
aldi_01
August 28, 2021, 6:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Sousa looks out of his depth and will struggle against good teams. Set plays were awful. For the most part we were comfortable without being clinical. All in all we will need to play better but some positives to take. On we go.

Someone been contacted by the fun police?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 143
bobbyturtle
August 28, 2021, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
great to be back.
a new era, a good crowd, a win and a clean sheet. will do for me
utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 143
Hagrid
August 28, 2021, 6:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Wtf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 143
AndyGTFC
August 28, 2021, 6:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Can't ask for more than that after so little training in the first game of the season. Played some nice stuff, particularly first half and Taylor, McAtee and Fox all look good signings

Still not sure how many goals are in this side but the one we did get was taken very well.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 6:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,631
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Jesus....there's always one isn't there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 143
mariner91
August 28, 2021, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,769
Gold Stars: 262
Thought some of the signings looked pretty good. Was impressed with Taylor, McAtee and Fox. Thought Clifton did really well in the second half.

My main concern is the shape. Starting with the 4-3-1-2 meant we had no width at all. No disrespect to Weymouth but they're one of the few part-time teams left in this division and you won't get a much easier home game. Yet our shape allowed them to remain compact, meaning we found it difficult to play through them and realistically we didn't create very much despite being dominant. Against a better team with that shape I think we'd create very little at all. We could do with a striker who's able to get in behind them to stretch defences a bit as we were a bit one paced but other than that I think there's enough in terms of personnel to do okay so long as we're not hampered by a stupid system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 143
VinnyGTFC
August 28, 2021, 6:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Jesus....there's always one isn't there!

Then tell me why I'm wrong instead of being arrogant
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 143
AussieMariner
August 28, 2021, 7:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Given that only Macca and HC out of the starting 11 were here last season, plus the interruption in training I think we’ve got to be pleased with that.
I was also very pleased to be handed a free scarf by JS in person on the way in - a nice surprise and a great touch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 143
Davec
August 28, 2021, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
When are the national League highlights on please
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

CBA
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 143
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2021, 7:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

That’s a tough riddle. I don’t know. Why are you wrong instead of arrogant?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 7:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

You have 16 red crosses and counting. Sure you can figure it out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 143
August 28, 2021, 7:30pm
Guest User
Anyone know where and when we can see the highlights of the match.  BTW, noticed that one of Stockports new fancied strikers done his hamstring earlier in the match, I think it was Quigley.
Reply: 15 - 143
Hagrid
August 28, 2021, 7:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just seen the goal after the Southend game finished

I believe the highlights are on BT Sport tomorrow evening 8 o clock ish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 143
August 28, 2021, 7:31pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Just seen the goal after the Southend game finished

I believe the highlights are on BT Sport tomorrow evening 8 o clock ish

Thank you.

Reply: 17 - 143
ska face
August 28, 2021, 7:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
Thought we looked good in the first 20 mins or so, playing through the lines with Fox & Hunt finding McAtee, Sousa and Taylor well to feet. Some of the interplay was nice to watch though, probably understandably, that final ball wasn’t always there and a couple or times the players were treading on each other’s toes in and around the box. A bit more understanding & time and it’ll click. Though Wright looked really sharp when he came on.

Would hope that Fox & Hunt iron out their own roles as they looked like they wanted to do the same job at points today. Long-King looked a really good defender but Pearson always gave the ball back to LK to distribute, I’m not sure he’s 100% comfortable as a ball-playing centre half.

Much better than I was expecting.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 143
Tommy
August 28, 2021, 7:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Great to be back at BP.

Started with what at times looked like a diamond midfield with Hunt at the base and McAtee at the tip, and at other times looked like a 4312. In reality it was both in different phases of the game.

Having not seen any of the pre-season games other than some of the footage online, I was pleasantly surprised by some of the football we played. Hunt, McAtee and Fox are real footballers. Taylor up top looked really classy and so effective. Sousa is a bit rough around the edges but that's a positive thing in my opinion having a player of that type.

I thought we mixed it up fairly well 1st half in terms of building play up from the back, and going more direct. When we built play up, it was good to see McAtee taking up some excellent positions, often starting high up in between the front 2 and dropping into the #10 position at the right time to receive a pass. Sousa did this a lot too, coming short to pick the ball up and start travelling forward with it. Seen a comment earlier in the thread saying Hunt didn't do a lot. I like the look of him and think he's technically very good, puts his foot in, but more impressively looked to play forward quality passes into the feet of the front 2 and McAtee. A lot of players shy away from that because it generally means you're playing passes into the most congested and defensively sound area of the pitch and thus have more of a chance of it being intercepted or unsuccessful.

When we went more direct into Taylor he made it stick and found a Town player almost every time. Was gutted he had to come off but not surprised after his (lack of) pre-season.

Got into lots of good positions in the first half and failed to put good quality crosses across/into the box or find that ruthless edge. Hopefully with a bit more training (after the enforced break) and sharpness that will come. The Sousa chance as well should've seen us 1-0  up by half time.

Second half wasn't quite as fluid and we had a few hairy moments when they had a 5-minute spell where they had a few set pieces and loose balls in our box.
We just weren't getting around the outsides of them as much as in the first half. The full backs couldn't get as far forward as they had in the first half. Hurst put Max Wright on and went 4-2-3-1, with Sousa, McAtee and Wright supporting LJL and we had that threat in wide areas high up the pitch again. Within minutes of this I think we scored with a well worked goal and finish. I didn't think LJL was as effective as Taylor was but he did really well to pick out McAtee's run and to set it into his path so he didn't need to break stride and could get away an early shot.

After that we could've got another goal with a bit more ruthlessness. Wright and Sousa started to get in good positions in the final third more often but didn't make the most of it.

I was concerned about the late substitution to put Waterfall on. It's not an issue with Waterfall, he's fine for this league. But as we've seen before, countless times, defending such a tight lead and putting on an extra defender in place of a midfielder/forward just invites pressure and gives the opposition time in deep areas (half way line ish) to get their heads up and launch it in our box. Don't understand why we do that with a single goal lead when the opposition will be bang up for slinging it in the mixer. Hope it won't be a regular thing.

All in all, came away happy. Some good quality footballers on show in black and white. Not mentioned Crookes but think he'll be a solid player, decent enough on the ball and a very imposing figure for a full back. We look well covered at LB with him and a more attack-minded Revan. It's also pleasing that Hurst is lot more tactically flexible these days and will change system during a game. We probably only saw this in his previous spell when it was too late or we were already behind.

UTM.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 143
VinnyGTFC
August 28, 2021, 7:52pm
Lager Top Drinker

You have 16 red crosses and counting. Sure you can figure it out!

Of course yes 16 red crosses make me wrong on this kangaroo court of a forum.

Sousa has pace, however his decision making is poor so is his first touch  against better teams they will read him within the first ten minutes and nullify his threat relatively easily. He had lots of the ball against a poor poor team and didn't do enough with it. Max Wtight was point in case. Looked much more of a threat when he came on the other side.
Your turn
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 143
jonnyboy82
August 28, 2021, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Is this a joke?

The bloke literally ran himself into the ground, offering clever runs always wanted the ball.

Was one of the best players on the pitch.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 143
August 28, 2021, 7:56pm
Guest User
Well pretty much the entire main stand applauded Sousa when he was substituted, and I don’t think there’s a tougher audience in football, so he must have done something right.
Reply: 22 - 143
Hagrid
August 28, 2021, 7:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Sousa has pace, however his decision making is poor so is his first touch  against better teams they will read him within the first ten minutes and nullify his threat relatively easily. He had lots of the ball against a poor poor team and didn't do enough with it. Max Wtight was point in case. Looked much more of a threat when he came on the other side.
Your turn

Very Harsh. Against Rotherham he was our standout player, i thought he worked very hard against 2 battling big Centre halves and we didnt utilise what he offers enough. Had a big chance first half which the keeper saved, but second half when we pushed him further wide and ball to feet, he was probing and put some good balls into the box
I really like him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 143
headingly_mariner

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Enjoyed that, thought it was telling that we created quite a lot and I felt entertained even though we were playing against a team that parked the bus.

We created some clear chances and should’ve scored more. Some interesting set piece routines as well. Tougher test on Tuesday, but it might suit us being attacked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 143
It Bites
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,215
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

You're absolutely spot on . Both me and my son agreed Sousa was not great .far to one dimensional and his decision making was awful .  Ira jackson offered more imo
Your turn

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 143
LocalLadGTFC
August 28, 2021, 7:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 140
Someone summed it up perfectly after the game for me - Sousa will be equally frustrating as he is exciting, sort of player we've missed over the past few years that can beat a man with ease, if he was the finished article he wouldn't be playing for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 143
LocalLadGTFC
August 28, 2021, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Approval: +4,352
Gold Stars: 140
Also thought it was amazing to see most the players on the pitch after the game give there shirts to young fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2021, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
At times it felt like 2016 again. A squad we can identify with once more.

I did think those booing Akheem Rose were out of order though. Given the 3 for 2 offer we for on Jackson, Gibson and Sisay, he can feel hard done by to get released.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 143
Theimperialcoroner
August 28, 2021, 8:35pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Also thought it was amazing to see most the players on the pitch after the game give there shirts to young fans.

Fenty would’ve had a coronary at that. Nice touch though.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2021, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

At £50 a pop, that would be £300 less in his pension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 143
Teesknees
August 28, 2021, 8:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Approval: +1,596
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Was Fenty there?

Maybe dressed as a woman?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 143
fishcake63
August 28, 2021, 8:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
lol it's weymouth we win 1/0 let's come on here after tuesday because weymouth are whipping boys if we get a point at best at stockport i'll start getting excited 🪑
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 143
EvilFish
August 28, 2021, 8:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from fishcake63
lol it's weymouth we win 1/0 let's come on here after tuesday because weymouth are whipping boys if we get a point at best at stockport i'll start getting excited 🪑

Oh just fvck off you soft tw@t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 143
August 28, 2021, 8:55pm
Guest User
Seem to recall Dagenham and Redbridge were whipping boys last season and we were as threatening as a marzipan dildo.
Reply: 34 - 143
Kris2
August 28, 2021, 8:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Sousa will end up being a JLAA type I'm sure, seems quite quick and strong, beats his man but then the finished article can be lacking at times. He does cause problems up the pitch though which is something we have needed. Efete stood out a lot today, moves the ball from the back really fast and looked quality, McAtee looks to be a player who is always looking to make things happen and press, all other new signings seemed solid but I'm sure they will be tested more in future games.

Didn't think Weymouth offered much, apart from a short spell of pressure they were always on the backfoot and with some better finishing we could have stuffed them completely. Not sure why people were booing Akheem Rose exactly but to each their own. I feel pretty indifferent towards him, didn't set the world on fire while with us as a young player looking for a chance to prove himself but don't recall him doing anything bad either.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 143
Bignic69
August 28, 2021, 9:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Bit harsh if you ask me, he grafted all game until he was subbed. We've had far more able players than Sousa in the past but with half of the application, I know which i prefer.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 143
chipsandgravy
August 28, 2021, 9:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Your turn

Your welcome to your opinion Vinny. Its the first game of the season on the back of a 10 day isolation period yet after just one game your using the words "out of his depth" and "poor decision making". First game for gods sake and your already writing him off. So yes that makes you a tool in my eyes. I think there is more to come from him and whilst not everything will come off I am quite excited about the times when it does. How's that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 143
bobbyturtle
August 28, 2021, 9:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
clifton was much better in the middle than out on the left?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 143
Swansea_Mariner
August 28, 2021, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from fishcake63

Come on we just started the season with a win, just enjoy it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 143
MuddyWaters
August 28, 2021, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Come on we just started the season with a win, just enjoy it.

Given the Covid disruption and the rash of injuries, that was a pretty good day at the office.

No doubt it needs to improve but, in my mind, there’s no doubt it will. UTM.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 143
bawarmy
August 28, 2021, 9:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from fishcake63

You can only beat what’s in front of you. I’ll take 44 1-0 wins this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 28, 2021, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I thought considering the disruption to the prep, the first competitive game, players still to gel, strikers being eased back in etc. etc.. I thought the lads did very well and deserved the win.

As you’d expect from a PH side the work rate, effort, application and attitude was excellent. Thought the players where blowing a bit around the hour mark but their fitness will get better. What I also liked was improved movement, mid fielders getting forward, numbers in the box and everyone wanting the ball.

We won’t take this league by storm or dominate anyone but we do have a group that look like they will put a shift in and work hard for each other. Stand out for me was McAtee but only just ahead of half a dozen+ who did very well.

Off the pitch it was so good to be back at BP though the place in reality isn’t that different the feeling and atmosphere was a million miles away from the poison rank negatively that the previous leadership cultivated by their own apathy. I think the positive feel rubs off on the players.

The “cherry on top” was the players giving their shirts away at the end, that’s what kids and their parents will remember for ages.

So the view after 1 league game? Will we go back up? I think it’s possible but unlikely but what I saw today on and off the pitch made me feel like “we’re on our way” maybe not to the football league but potentially having a team and club that we can feel good about.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 143
moosey_club
August 28, 2021, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,317
Gold Stars: 229
3 points....disrupted pre season ....clean sheet

Yes please x

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 143
gytone
August 28, 2021, 10:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,032
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from fishcake63

You and Vinnygtfc, can just intercourse right off and get a life, boring pair of male masturbators 😡
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 143
Billywhiz
August 28, 2021, 10:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +51
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Don’t worry about the criticism, you are entitled to your opinion even if it does show a poor understanding of the game of football .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 143
marinette
August 28, 2021, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Best thing for me was the attitude of our players.  There was no expectation that we were automatically going to win, just because we were playing Weymouth.  Our players put the effort in constantly, I didn't see much drifting or complacency, and I think we dominated much of the game.  I kind of wish that we could avoid looking at tables and results throughout the season, and just assume that every team we play might be a contender for top of the league - just to keep the players on their toes and make sure that we maintain the kind of mentality that was shown today.

Not sure about Weymouth - apart from a very short spell of attacking, the only thing I really noticed about them was that they seemed to spend a lot of time falling over.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 28, 2021, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinette
Best thing for me was the attitude of our players.  There was no expectation that we were automatically going to win, just because we were playing Weymouth.  Our players put the effort in constantly, I didn't see much drifting or complacency, and I think we dominated much of the game.  I kind of wish that we could avoid looking at tables and results throughout the season, and just assume that every team we play might be a contender for top of the league - just to keep the players on their toes and make sure that we maintain the kind of mentality that was shown today.

Not sure about Weymouth - apart from a very short spell of attacking, the only thing I really noticed about them was that they seemed to spend a lot of time falling over.

It was quite clear they came for the draw. What was that player coming over to take a free kick every time and not even taking it all about?

It's always satisfying to see a team time-wasting from the first minute lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 143
bobbyturtle
August 28, 2021, 11:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Billywhiz

Don’t worry about the criticism, you are entitled to your opinion even if it does show a poor understanding of the game of football .

is that what is called 'love bombing'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 143
Poojah
August 28, 2021, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,878
Gold Stars: 1,523
Have to admit, I felt slightly emotional being back at BP for the first time since February 2020. It felt both utterly familiar and incredibly strange at the same time - a day which felt like it might never come at times over the course of the past 18 months.

The minute’s applause before the game almost had me choking up - absolutely for those we’ve lost in the time since we beat Scunny away last March but also for the moments lost by all of us in not being able to do what we love on a Saturday afternoon for so long.

In terms of the game, a reminder of what’s to come this season  - Weymouth were prepared to defend deep in numbers, more with determination than quality, in the hope they can sneak something when they have an inevitable spell of control. They indeed had that spell, and came close to scoring on a couple of occasions up as, but I don’t think it’s any coincidence our goal came during the one spell in which they decided to have a go.

The standard in this division is noticeably lower. Less pace, less power, players technically not as sharp as in League Two, but we do possess quality in the likes of McAtee and Fox, whilst Sousa looks an interesting wild card if we can get him playing consistently at full tilt - he needs to work on his end product but showed promise.

It’s always difficult to make judgement after one game, especially against a side not expected to be up there like Weymouth. I feel there’s more to come from this side though, and given the disruption to our preparation for this game I think we have to take a hard fought and deserved win as a positive.

All in all, brilliant to see and hear the ground in such good spirits and to see so many familiar faces that I haven’t seen for so long. There will be setbacks this season. There will be games like today which we don’t win, or maybe even lose. But in my opinion we have a solid team who appear to want to play in the right way. We’re not Wrexham, but we appear to have a solid platform upon which to rebuild ourselves.

UTM!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 143
RichMariner
August 28, 2021, 11:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
I wasn't there today but...

...you can clearly see what the new owners are trying to do here. It's only been a few months, a slightly disrupted pre-season through injuries and covid, and one league game, but there's a massive emphasis on togetherness — not just in the squad (which you can clearly see in the pre-season training videos) but among the fans and everyone around the town.

I think they're also trying to focus on doing the little things that are remembered, like giving out free scarves and players donating shirts at the end.

Anyone who was at the Morecambe game that marked our return to the FL will remember what that day felt like. I guess today was similar but in slightly different ways. There was always going to be a feelgood factor to today based purely on our returns to BP, but they've capitalised on that by making the fan zone a reality, improving the food offering, communicating with the fans clearly and honestly, drumming up excitement with decent online content and social media activity, etc.

JS and AP have always said they are focused on the future, not dwelling on the past, and looking for continued improvement, no matter how small those gains are. A little each day over time will make a massive difference in the long haul.

But even in their short time in charge already, what with new sprinklers and pitch irrigation, better training facilities, fan zone, catering... honesty, respect, sincerity... we can all feel the benefits of that.

And if the fans can, then the players most certainly can. We're all moving forward together. Let's keep these good vibes going.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 143
KingstonMariner
August 28, 2021, 11:52pm
Meths Drinker
Atmosphere pre-game was palpable on the wireless. Humberside missed a trick by not providing more coverage. Hull and Scunny have been in action for a couple of weeks so they could have easily justified more time at BP.

Especially as the crowd at Scunny wasn’t much more than half Town’s attendance and Championship level Hull (city 3 x size of GY, and 3 divisions higher) was only twice Town’s.

I was proud today. Proud of the turnout. Proud of the clap for the Covid victims*. Proud of the patience and respect shown to the opposition. Proud of the effort of the squad. And the manager’s good Grace in the interview.

* I had a manly fleck of dust in the eye and trouble swallowing at that point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 143
toontown
August 28, 2021, 11:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Sousa -  not fully convinced by him today against an extremely poor side, could be first game nerves though, he left the ball behind when trying to go past people a couple of times and didn't really work any opportunity when we'll positioned a few times. He did work hard and keep going though git into some good positions and he certainly showed glimpses of skill. He could be one who grows into the season. He might work out, he might not, most likely he will be someone who divides the fanbase.

Weymouth were very poor and I can see why they are amongst the relgation favourites. Which puts our huffing puffing to a narrow win at home in perspective.

I thought we looked very strong in midfield,Fox in particular looks a class above this league whilst still working hard. I liked hunt, offers for the ball a lot and picks a pass and wasn't as slightly built as I expected. Harry also had a good game.

Mcatee played well,scored when played in that running on from deep position, looks like he could be dangerous there. Taylor was OK,I preferred the shop when he came on personally as I thought he got more involved a d looked more dangerous.

Pearson was v impressive, so calm and dealt with everything at the back. Longe-king looked very shaky to me, and with Effete to me looking out of his depth (poor passing and anticipation, bad decision making) I think we will be weak defensively down that right hand side. I am hoping sears comes in personally. Effete looks like a right unit, big and strong for a full back, and a good engine, so good physically but looked way off it with the ball for me. Hopefully he will grow into the division. Crookes was very quiet and far too keen on just booting it down the line to no one when in possession and with time to pass.

Mecca didn't have too much to do but he is noticeably more comfortable with the ball at his feet than  he used to be, so long as he isn't expected to play out like were Barcelona. He's definitely improved that aspect of his game when it's part of sensible play,not when overdone to the point of absurdity under needless pressure like with Holloway.

Overall I think we will have to move up some gears if we are to fare well against more challenging opposition but we got the win which is the main thing. Tuesday will be more challenging but 3 points and a comfortable performance will hopefully give us some confidence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 143
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
I tried to post my thoughts earlier, but the phone ate it. Ack.

To sum up, a hard-working performance with everyone putting in a shift. Defence a little bit panicky when put under a bit of pressure. Taylor looked good with some good link-up stuff. Full-backs looked competent without setting the world on fire - both a good size so we're not likely to be overwhelmed aerially this season. Good skill on show from McAtee and Hunt at times. I liked the look of Sousa who has no left foot but was non-stop in his running and looks like he will be a thorn in the side of most teams, even if he doesn't rip them open. A bit like a Parkinson (if you can remember back that far) but with a bit more heft. Defence slightly pedestrian, though I'd expect Efete to do more in attack once the team is more settled and fitness is up to scratch.

Looked to me like a team which ought to be able to secure a place in the play-offs, if we can improve a bit and put away some of the chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 143
pontoonlew
August 29, 2021, 12:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Really enjoyed today, regardless of the game - which for the most part was pretty good.

McAtee, Taylor and Fox were a real class above and I’m really excited about them. I feel we’re obviously short of a centre forward because for all our dominance we still lacked something and Weymouth were absolutely dire.

What a day though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 143
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 3:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Why are people shocked that sometimes it was huff and puff against one of the lower teams in the division? We’ve been here before, against teams that are trying not to lose rather than to win…we’ll see plenty of games like today, if we win who gives a excrement?

Sousa can be exciting and I think people will make him in to a cult type player. Mcatee is decent and took his goal well.

Back four looked decent although, much like before, Pearson lacks pace which could be an issue but time will tell.

Weymouth offered very little although if the bloke behind me is gonna be as negative and worried like he was yesterday he’s gonna need Samaritans before the end of September. Although listening to him moan about never scoring as Mcatee dumped one bottom corner was a highlight…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 143
jonnyboy82
August 29, 2021, 6:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Poojah
Have to admit, I felt slightly emotional being back at BP for the first time since February 2020. It felt both utterly familiar and incredibly strange at the same time - a day which felt like it might never come at times over the course of the past 18 months.

The minute’s applause before the game almost had me choking up - absolutely for those we’ve lost in the time since we beat Scunny away last March but also for the moments lost by all of us in not being able to do what we love on a Saturday afternoon for so long.

In terms of the game, a reminder of what’s to come this season  - Weymouth were prepared to defend deep in numbers, more with determination than quality, in the hope they can sneak something when they have an inevitable spell of control. They indeed had that spell, and came close to scoring on a couple of occasions up as, but I don’t think it’s any coincidence our goal came during the one spell in which they decided to have a go.

The standard in this division is noticeably lower. Less pace, less power, players technically not as sharp as in League Two, but we do possess quality in the likes of McAtee and Fox, whilst Sousa looks an interesting wild card if we can get him playing consistently at full tilt - he needs to work on his end product but showed promise.

It’s always difficult to make judgement after one game, especially against a side not expected to be up there like Weymouth. I feel there’s more to come from this side though, and given the disruption to our preparation for this game I think we have to take a hard fought and deserved win as a positive.

All in all, brilliant to see and hear the ground in such good spirits and to see so many familiar faces that I haven’t seen for so long. There will be setbacks this season. There will be games like today which we don’t win, or maybe even lose. But in my opinion we have a solid team who appear to want to play in the right way. We’re not Wrexham, but we appear to have a solid platform upon which to rebuild ourselves.

UTM!

Totally agree,  it nearly got me too.

Lost my little sister, she was only 28.
Lost my brother in law in April and my nan last month

The emotions in that minute was overwhelming but i know all three were there with all of us along with the others people have lost during this horrendous pandemic.

Beautiful touch by town to add that yesterday and we did them all proud.

UTM X

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 143
DB
August 29, 2021, 6:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
It's really good to read all the positiveness about the match, from the experience, food, and Towns performance. It was the first match of the season, the weather was good, the first match in over 500 days at home, the first match for the new owners and most importantly we won.

I find it hard to understand why some people are so negative both on here and reports at the game itself. What on earth is there to moan about when according to 99.9% of fans it was a good day. Quite honestly if you don't like the above paragraph then you're not a fan, are you!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 143
pontoonlew
August 29, 2021, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Shoutout to Max Wright as well, I thought him coming on swung the game in our favour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 143
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 8:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB
It's really good to read all the positiveness about the match, from the experience, food, and Towns performance. It was the first match of the season, the weather was good, the first match in over 500 days at home, the first match for the new owners and most importantly we won.

I find it hard to understand why some people are so negative both on here and reports at the game itself. What on earth is there to moan about when according to 99.9% of fans it was a good day. Quite honestly if you don't like the above paragraph then you're not a fan, are you!

Should’ve heard the bloke behind me. I’m all for moaning, especially when they’re shite but fuckinh hell, there was a spell we dominated and just kept chuntering and moaning…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 143
Jarmo.Is.God
August 29, 2021, 8:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Not fully read this thread, but a special mention for Clifton.
Often read on here, he wouldn't play if wasnt local, but first half he was fantastic.
Strong, aggressive, read the game well and won some free kicks, really positive from him IMO

Great to see Pearson and The shop, both incredible pros!

We was solid as expected, didnt set the world alight, but didn't expect to so early in the season.

Mcatee is the perfect no 10.
Aggressive, angry, and his vision and runs are very very good!
He struts around like he's ready to kick off, and it's something we haven't had for years, and I love that!!

Sousa comments on page 1 and 2 are strange.... he's a real pain for defenders, will win us free kicks, and be a big part for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 143
aldi_01
August 29, 2021, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Not fully read this thread, but a special mention for Clifton.
Often read on here, he wouldn't play if wasnt local, but first half he was fantastic.
Strong, aggressive, read the game well and won some free kicks, really positive from him IMO

Great to see Pearson and The shop, both incredible pros!

We was solid as expected, didnt set the world alight, but didn't expect to so early in the season.

Mcatee is the perfect no 10.
Aggressive, angry, and his vision and runs are very very good!
He struts around like he's ready to kick off, and it's something we haven't had for years, and I love that!!

Sousa comments on page 1 and 2 are strange.... he's a real pain for defenders, will win us free kicks, and be a big part for me.

I thought Mcatee looked great and I agree, seems to have a screw loose. Loves a tackle, never stops and just wants it…all the time. Love that…

I agree with Sousa too, people seemingly a bit harsh on him, granted he should’ve scored but may be it was just a good save?

For a side that’s suffered some disruption, allegedly isn’t ready and lost its captain before the game, I thought we looked decent…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 143
dapperz fun pub
August 29, 2021, 8:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
The best players in history tend to have a screw loose , I like that in him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 143
GhostDan
August 29, 2021, 9:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Genuinely scratching my head at some of the comments about Sousa, I thought he worked hard, dragged the defenders all over and looks dangerous with the ball at his feet. Yes sometimes the end product wasn’t there but hopefully he will settle into it, I can’t wait to see him at full tilt.

McAtee - brilliant. If there’s many better players in the league this season, I’ll be surprised.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Did the players 'take the knee' yesterday?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 143
ska face
August 29, 2021, 9:29am

Vodka Drinker
Yes and got a great reception.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 143
Rick12
August 29, 2021, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from GhostDan
Genuinely scratching my head at some of the comments about Sousa, I thought he worked hard, dragged the defenders all over and looks dangerous with the ball at his feet. Yes sometimes the end product wasn’t there but hopefully he will settle into it, I can’t wait to see him at full tilt.

UTFM
Well said. In one of the pre season games was the player who caught my eye the most.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 143
Hagrid
August 29, 2021, 9:44am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
Did the players 'take the knee' yesterday?

Yep. And it was rightly applauded. Some boo’s from the right hand side of the upper but they dont have a brain between them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 29, 2021, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Should’ve heard the bloke behind me. I’m all for moaning, especially when they’re shite but fuckinh hell, there was a spell we dominated and just kept chuntering and moaning…

At the end of the game the bloke next to me turned round and said ..... wait for it..... "too much passing" you sometimes wonder if some people actually get a bigger kick out of looking at the negatives.

Think Soussa will be a handful as things settle down and other players find space around him. We also saw some of what a good player Clifton is when others around him are happy to also do some work.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 143
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
There was a guy a couple of rows behind me energetically booing when they took the knee. He must be one of those anti-anti-racists who are in the news quite often.

I don't really agree with the knee thing but applauded with most others to show this sort of sharp object that I didn't agree with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 29, 2021, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
There was a guy a couple of rows behind me energetically booing when they took the knee. He must be one of those anti-anti-racists who are in the news quite often.

I don't really agree with the knee thing but applauded with most others to show this sort of sharp object that I didn't agree with him.

I was surprised to see/hear one of the blokes who sits near us who's I quite like boo the knee. Amazing how much people displayong what they believe in brings out odd behaviours in others.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 143
Humbercod
August 29, 2021, 10:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Was nice to see a black supremacy salute by Efete, does wonders for race relations🤯
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 143
Hagrid
August 29, 2021, 10:33am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod
Was nice to see a black supremacy salute by Efete, does wonders for race relations🤯

Oh get over yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 143
lew chaterleys lover
August 29, 2021, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

I thought you weren't going because of covid concerns?

You don't agree with taking the knee but applauded anyway?!

This is why I take with a pinch of salt a lot of comments on here. All that hullabaloo about covid/masks but just as predicted when it comes down to matchday none of it mattered - you either are willing to take a small risk or you aren't. You lot jump on the nearest bandwagon and can't get off.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 143
ska face
August 29, 2021, 10:37am

Vodka Drinker
There’s a million other threads on here for you to have this boring debate, again. Spare us having to read it all again ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 143
arryarryarry
August 29, 2021, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We deserved the win, impressed with Taylor first half who gave us a real focal point. Always going to be tough against a team that had already played and Weymouth were decent enough.

Plusses? The defence, Taylor first half and a quality McAtee finish. Less so? Sousa was a little greedy and Hunt didn’t do a lot.

Mom Efete.

I thought we played OK in the first half with plenty of possession and passing but failed to really look like scoring, Sousa had the best chance but the keeper saved it.

Second half we started brightly LJL missing from a couple of feet, (the words cows bottom and banjo sprang to mind) he then had another good shot but after that I thought we started to struggle a bit. It took a class goal to win the game as before that they were looking dangerous. I would say that in the main I thought they were a very poor side and we will have to do better against some of the more competent teams in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 143
Civvy at last
August 29, 2021, 2:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,213
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from ska face
There’s a million other threads on here for you to have this boring debate, again. Spare us having to read it all again ffs.

Why do you think Swin asked the question ?
He wasn’t really bothered. Just wanted to fuk up this thread.
It’s far too positive for his liking.  

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 3:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

Why do you think Swin asked the question ?
He wasn’t really bothered. Just wanted to fuk up this thread.
It’s far too positive for his liking.  

I asked because I was surprised no one had mentioned it especially as so many think it so important.
Folk were creaming their jeans about the free scarves, the totally different atmosphere, how wonderful it all was, the fanzone, the flipping sprinklers, the scotch eggs (FFS!),, the beer, how amazing it was to beat mighty Weymouth 1-0, how the new owners can walk on water, how McAtee is England bound, how wonderful that the players gave their shirts away and how everyone applauded before kick off and the queue for a urine was unchanged

I didn't want anyone to comment (Ska started it by adding to his basic yes/no answer about it being well received) I find the whole thing a total pain in the bottom, I merely wanted to ask if we were still doing it in the depths of the non-league. They'll be taking the knee at Ploggers next!

Incidentally I think Ska was talking about the Covid / vaccination / mask discussion starting up again not the fact that I asked about kneeling

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 143
devs
August 29, 2021, 3:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
There has been some shite posted on here over the years but to say Efete looks "out of his depth" is about the most ridculous comment
He was borderline MOM and many around me yesterday agreed

Sousa was playing at lower level last season - on that basis I though he was excellent and will get better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 143
louth_in_the_south
August 29, 2021, 3:12pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
Swim back with a vengeance 😂😂ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 143
ska face
August 29, 2021, 3:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Incidentally I think Ska was talking about the Covid / vaccination / mask discussion starting up again not the fact that I asked about kneeling

No, it was the kneeling.

Alle reden vom kneeling. Wir nicht
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 29, 2021, 3:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I asked because I was surprised no one had mentioned it especially as so many think it so important.
Folk were creaming their jeans about the free scarves, the totally different atmosphere, how wonderful it all was, the fanzone, the flipping sprinklers, the scotch eggs (FFS!),, the beer, how amazing it was to beat mighty Weymouth 1-0, how the new owners can walk on water, how McAtee is England bound, how wonderful that the players gave their shirts away and how everyone applauded before kick off and the queue for a urine was unchanged

I didn't want anyone to comment (Ska started it by adding to his basic yes/no answer about it being well received) I find the whole thing a total pain in the bottom, I merely wanted to ask if we were still doing it in the depths of the non-league. They'll be taking the knee at Ploggers next!

You may not have to have asked the initial question if you'd have got off your @rse like many exiles did and made the trip.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face

No, it was the kneeling.

Alle reden vom kneeling. Wir nicht

I stand corrected, as do most people you post replies to

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 143
mimma
August 29, 2021, 3:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
Sousa might be better suited to playing away where teams are a bit more open and we can break quickly on them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 3:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You may not have to have asked the initial question if you'd have got off your @rse like many exiles did and made the trip.

Firstly I'm not that interested and secondly I have already made my position clear whilst Hurst is in charge. I certainly wouldn't drive to Grimsby and back to see a classic against Weymouth, pick up a free scarf and try a scotch egg, I might do Kings Lynn and Southend to see Pete for a pint if he is going and my lad drives.

Private Message
Reply: 84 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 29, 2021, 3:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Firstly I'm not that interested and secondly I have already made my position clear whilst Hurst is in charge. I certainly wouldn't drive to Grimsby and back to see a classic against Weymouth, pick up a free scarf and try a scotch egg, I might do Kings Lynn and Southend to see Pete for a pint if he is going and my lad drives.

I'm sure Hurst is losing sleep about your abstinence. I do find it odd how a published author can be such a spiteful so and so but maybe that's the inspiration for your art.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm sure Hurst is losing sleep about your abstinence. I do find it odd how a published author can be such a spiteful so and so but maybe that's the inspiration for your art.  

It's not a case of being spiteful at all. I stated on Hurst's re-appointment that in my opinion (I take it that is still allowed) it was a mistake and a missed opportunity (one major step forward and two steps back) given the takeover of the club, a moment seen by most people as a fantastic new dawn.

I don't rate the man and I hoped the new regime might have invested money in a manager (rather than sprinklers and scotch eggs perhaps?) rather than reverting to Hurst (on the cheap no doubt as he was unemployed)

I made my position clear and as I undertook to do then, and I haven't done a u-turn by posting here again, I intend to refrain from any comment about Hurst, the team and results etc

Nothing would please me more than to be proved wrong and to see Town back in the Football League next season or the season after that for that matter

Private Message
Reply: 86 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2021, 4:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It's not a case of being spiteful at all. I stated on Hurst's re-appointment that in my opinion (I take it that is still allowed) it was a mistake and a missed opportunity (one major step forward and two steps back) given the takeover of the club, a moment seen by most people as a fantastic new dawn.

I don't rate the man and I hoped the new regime might have invested money in a manager (rather than sprinklers and scotch eggs perhaps?) rather than reverting to Hurst (on the cheap no doubt as he was unemployed)

I made my position clear and as I undertook to do then, and I haven't done a u-turn by posting here again, I intend to refrain from any comment about Hurst, the team and results etc

Nothing would please me more than to be proved wrong and to see Town back in the Football League next season or the season after that for that matter

I don't think the club have invested in scotch eggs. Just got caterers in who provide better food and drink.

But, when given time, Paul Hurst builds teams that work their nuts off and I think we need to identify with a team again, like we did in 1998 and 2016.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 143
wuffing
August 29, 2021, 4:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Ipswin

There's something very strangely biblical going on here....how to p**s off 5,000

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 143
Swansea_Mariner
August 29, 2021, 4:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Personally I can't see Hurst being 'the cheap option' he's a pretty established manager these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 143
GhostDan
August 29, 2021, 5:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I’m not sure I’ve ever disagreed with any comment more, on any subject, ever.

You “support” the club, not the manager, not the owners and not even the players to a certain extent. If nothing would please you more than seeing us go up, get off The Fishy on a Saturday afternoon and down to BP.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 143
Bristol Mariner
August 29, 2021, 6:04pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Ipswin

I prefer Noche to you…

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 143
wuffing
August 29, 2021, 6:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Ipswin

There's something strangely biblical here...................how to p**s off 5,000 fishes!!!!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 143
EvilFish
August 29, 2021, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Ipswin

Oh give over, Swin. You've been reeling out this schtick since the Topica email list days of 1996, regardless of who is the manager. I'd say it was wearing thin, but holes started appearing in it twenty years ago. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 143
Jaws
August 29, 2021, 7:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Best I've seen from Max Wright, can tell he's playing for a new contract. If he stays fit, he could be great for us this season.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 143
fishcake63
August 29, 2021, 7:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
He wont stay fit that's always held him back , nobody loves max more than me but his injury record tells us the next one just around the corner hope i'm proved wrong because he really could be our match winner at this level , come on maxy prove me wrong lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 143
Madeleymariner
August 29, 2021, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
Back from a cracking Lincs weekend. Visit family, Crazy golf, Steeles, Ice cream with a walk along the front in the warm sunshine, wander up to the ground, chat with some vocal Weymouth fans on the way. Decent game, great atmosphere, 1-0 win, what more could I ask for.
And what a difference the the clear barrier makes to the view in the Findus, and next time if I havn't had a Steeles I will deffo be testing out a scotch egg.
The game, no one played badly, think we still lack something in the final third but hopefully with a fit Shop/Taylor we will threaten more.
Thought Clifton and Fox excellent in midfield, and Efette great going forward, and although McAtee seems to take his foot off the gas for a few mins a few times, he is quality and will be instrumental to any success we have this season. Even the Parslow/Waterfall point worked out ok, but not sure why he left McAtee on for him to limp through the last 10 mins having signalled to the bench he wanted to come off just as Waterfall was waiting to come on I have no idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 143
GrimExile
August 29, 2021, 8:12pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from GhostDan

I’m not sure I’ve ever disagreed with any comment more, on any subject, ever.

You “support” the club, not the manager, not the owners and not even the players to a certain extent. If nothing would please you more than seeing us go up, get off The Fishy on a Saturday afternoon and down to BP.

UTM

This x 1,000. Well said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 143
MuddyWaters
August 29, 2021, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I can be as grumpy as the next man but I support Grimsby Town irrespective of who the players are, who the manager is and even who the owners are.
Do I like Paul Hurst as manager? Well, he’s given the club its best day this century so he’ll do for me.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 143
Yoda
August 29, 2021, 8:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Hurst was very fortunate to keep his job after last season’s fiasco so he has to do top 5 minimum for me this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I can be as grumpy as the next man but I support Grimsby Town irrespective of who the players are, who the manager is and even who the owners are.
Do I like Paul Hurst as manager? Well, he’s given the club its best day this century so he’ll do for me.

I support Grimsby Town too, always will but I think the appointment of Hurst was a retrograde step and an opportunity to actually progress on the pitch was missed that's all.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 143
MuddyWaters
August 29, 2021, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I support Grimsby Town too, always will but I think the appointment of Hurst was a retrograde step and an opportunity to actually progress on the pitch was missed that's all.

I’d like to know who you think would have taken the job on given the state Hollowords and Fenty had put it in.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 143
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I thought you weren't going because of covid concerns?

My Dad decided he wanted to go so we got some proper FFP2 masks and wore them throughout the game. Miniscule risk sitting outside with a breeze and properly masked.

That OK with you? Sorry, didn't think I needed to ask permission. Or did I miss the memo?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 143
Hagrid
August 29, 2021, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

For as long as ive posted on here you’ve been critical of every manager we’ve appointed. I really dont know what you expect
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’d like to know who you think would have taken the job on given the state Hollowords and Fenty had put it in.

Depends how much the new owners were prepared to pay (it's amazing what money can do in football) but the best applicant hopefully. It's a hypothetical question of course as the post was never advertised there were therefore no applicants I can't therefore give you a name

It's difficult to all have the same view on managerial appointments I'm sure you agree (I thought Newell was going to be the Messiah).

Please be kind enough to refresh my memory, wasn't virtually everyone on here celebrating madly when Holloway got the job? Ditto Jolley too if I recall. (Amazing how people think when clutching at straws).

It's pretty much the same again with Hurst 2 and anyone who does not agree with a) his appointment and b) the majority gets slagged off

I just think we missed an opportunity that's all

Private Message
Reply: 104 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 9:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

For as long as ive posted on here you’ve been critical of every manager we’ve appointed. I really dont know what you expect

You are clearly a relative new boy then I fully supported the appointment of Newell and the re-appointment of Slade

I did oppose the ridiculous appointment of Jolley and the publicity stunt appointment of Holloway (and correctly predicted their failure) when most were getting all excited and predicting Champions League in five years

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 143
Swansea_Mariner
August 29, 2021, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
I'm sure I remember  Ipswin advocating Paul Harsley back when we went for Jolley, he's gone on to do diddly squat.

There's only three things forsure in life death, taxes and Ipswin has got an issue with our managerial appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 143
sam gy
August 29, 2021, 9:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Ipswin

Depends how much the new owners were prepared to pay (it's amazing what money can do in football) but the best applicant hopefully. It's a hypothetical question of course as the post was never advertised there were therefore no applicants I can't therefore give you a name

Hurst was appointed before the new owners took control of the club.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 143
MuddyWaters
August 29, 2021, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

But the appointment was made with the consensus of the new owners.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2021, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

1878 had involvement in the appointment. Do you think Hurst would have come here on the promise that Fenty was staying put?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 143
marinerjase
August 29, 2021, 9:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
Hurst is the right man at the right time in my own opinion. Knows the club, personnel, town. Knows the issues and problems. Knows the National League. Lasted 6 years with a hand tied behind his back.

The ‘easy’ knocking of boring football, defensive minded etc can quite as easily be turned on it’s head. Same as the ‘cupping ear’ argument..people will turn it into an argument that wasn’t even their.

Fact is he’ll have his supporters, he’ll have those who aren’t.

There’s little point in arguing against those against.. you won’t change their minds. And to be honest.. why should you want to? Football, life..it’s all about opinions. Some right..some wrong.

Sit back, watch it unfold..and hopefully it’ll work out in time.

Just a shame that time might take longer in having to pay for the previous dictator.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 143
Bignic69
August 29, 2021, 9:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Approval: +540
Quoted from Ipswin

It's difficult to all have the same view on managerial appointments I'm sure you agree (I thought Newell was going to be the Messiah).

Please be kind enough to refresh my memory, wasn't virtually everyone on here celebrating madly when Holloway got the job? Ditto Jolley too if I recall. (Amazing how people think when clutching at straws).

It's pretty much the same again with Hurst 2 and anyone who does not agree with a) his appointment and b) the majority gets slagged off

I just think we missed an opportunity that's all

I don't recall many getting carried away or making mad predictions regarding Hurst. Most were relieved that we have somebody who is methodical rather than erratic,somebody who would steady the ship and then eventually turn it around, I think we have that.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 143
Ipswin
August 29, 2021, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm sure I remember  Ipswin advocating Paul Harsley back when we went for Jolley, he's gone on to do diddly squat..

Out of the names being touted around then yes I did. Remind me how Jolley's dazzling future has developed

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 143
arryarryarry
August 29, 2021, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This old chesnut gets rolled out every time we look for a new manager. I don't know who was actually available at the time Holloway left, there would have been plenty of out of work experienced managers looking for a job or if there were possibly any non league managers that would have loved to step up to the EFL. The sad point is that Hurst took us down, so you might as well have made me manager.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 143
jamesgtfc
August 29, 2021, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Out of the names being touted around then yes I did. Remind me how Jolley's dazzling future has developed

I know we say Fenty was a nightmare for people to deal with but hasn't Jolley left his last 3 employers after disagreements with the board?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 143
arryarryarry
August 29, 2021, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm sure I remember  Ipswin advocating Paul Harsley back when we went for Jolley, he's gone on to do diddly squat.

There's only three things forsure in life death, taxes and Ipswin has got an issue with our managerial appointment.

Well Hurst took us down so could Harsley have done any worse?

And to be fair most of our recent managerial appointments have been crap.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 143
arryarryarry
August 29, 2021, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I know we say Fenty was a nightmare for people to deal with but hasn't Jolley left his last 3 employers after disagreements with the board?

He upset quite a few of the staff at GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 143
Maringer
August 29, 2021, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I heard from somebody we know within the club that Jolley was very unpleasant to the general staff at the club. Needlessly so, in fact. It's the only thing this person has ever told us about what has gone on at the club, so I presume it is accurate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 143
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2021, 11:06pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

Might have known you’d come out with a comment like that. A man whose ‘patriotism’ leaves him when it comes to having a little injection that might protect himself and the rest of the community.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 143
August 29, 2021, 11:07pm
Guest User
It was an odd moment having to explain to my 11 year old that if they take the knee then some people will boo. To be fair to him he did remind me that the whole of chapter eight of Das Kapital was pretty much a systematic falsification to prove a thesis which an objective examination of the facts showed was untenable. So I shrugged and bought a scotch egg, whilst everyone in the main stand cheered.
Reply: 119 - 143
aldi_01
August 30, 2021, 7:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Those booing taking the knee are beyond ironic…

The debate about Hurst will forever rumble on. To be honest, I’d come to terms with being relegated by about September last year. Holloway a woeful appointment from the start. He was never in it for the football and the fact he walked away tells you a lot.

I’m sure the only people who think Hurst took us down are the ones that didn’t like him but they often choose to ignore the fact that whether they like it or not, he’s fit we going to be naked with the Lord Sir Alan and Mcmenemy as a manager that got town promoted. In recent times there’s a raft of town fans that only remember that promotion year.

The club was in a mess, probably worse than we’ll ever really know. That takes time to readjust and the likes; promotion is unlikely this year for various reasons but you can bet your bottom dollar it won’t be as flipping woeful as last year. Not so entertaining wins or playing entertaining football but losing or shopping goals…I know which I’d take.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 143
GhostDan
August 30, 2021, 7:34am
Lager Top Drinker
In fairness, Wrexham seemingly have an bottomless pot but they’ve still ended up with Phil Parkinson as Manager..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 143
Ipswin
August 30, 2021, 7:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

My point exactly much lauded Jolley hasn't exactly done any better than Harsley has he?

Private Message
Reply: 122 - 143
Hagrid
August 30, 2021, 8:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

My point exactly much lauded Jolley hasn't exactly done any better than Harsley has he?

Maybe accept they’re both shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 143
Swansea_Mariner
August 30, 2021, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Maybe accept they’re both shite

Exactly and hundreds of millions in the bank buys you Parkinson, I really don't know who people are expecting.

Would Harsley have done any worse than Hurst Arry, I think the question should be, would he have done any better, no I don't think he would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 143
GrimExile
August 30, 2021, 9:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Not you goI support Grimsby Town too, always will but I think the appointment of Hurst was a retrograde step and an opportunity to actually progress on the pitch was missed that's all.

Well if you support GTFC why won’t you go to a game? You say you don’t like Hurst and that’s fine, but to cite that as a reason not to support the team is frankly ridiculous. If you support a club then you go to games assuming you can afford it and are physically able. End of. #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 143
HertsGTFC
August 30, 2021, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Well Ipswin got his way then. He’s managed to use all of his spite and negativity to turn a pretty positive thread about a good day into a debate about Hurst and if players taking the knee should be booed or applauded.

What’s the next topic? Whether we should have allowed Amond to leave? The location of a new ground whether Bogle was all that or if JSF is truly the anti-Christ.

We’re at the start of a new chapter and it’s pointless looking back on the water we drowned in last season and before as you can’t change a thing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 143
toontown
August 30, 2021, 10:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
I heard from somebody we know within the club that Jolley was very unpleasant to the general staff at the club. Needlessly so, in fact. It's the only thing this person has ever told us about what has gone on at the club, so I presume it is accurate!

Given his extreme rant at JT for asking a question its something I can believe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 143
Jaws
August 30, 2021, 10:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from 140381
It was an odd moment having to explain to my 11 year old that if they take the knee then some people will boo. To be fair to him he did remind me that the whole of chapter eight of Das Kapital was pretty much a systematic falsification to prove a thesis which an objective examination of the facts showed was untenable. So I shrugged and bought a scotch egg, whilst everyone in the main stand cheered.

I thought it had got applauded at Macca's testimonial so was suprised to hear it booed on Saturday. Was sat in the same seat both times and seemed unanimous both times.
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 143
Withnail
August 30, 2021, 11:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: +1,453
Quoted from Ipswin

First of all I'll defend your right to free speech tooth and nail. It'd be dull as ditch water if we all trotted out the same opinions of the management and views of the game etc.

And I think it's absolutely fair enough if your interest has waned following relegation to non league - (again) which is unforgivable - to the point you can only summon up the enthusiasm to go to a game on the proviso it's within an hour or twos drive and that you're chaffeured there and back etc...

But, that all said, here's a hypothetical question...would you really stop yourself from going to more than a couple of games away if we're steamrolling our way through teams and riding high at the top of the league, while playing champagne football? Just because you stated on here that Hurst's appointment was a retrograde step? If so, it sounds like a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If this scenario played out I'm sure most on here would respect you a lot more if you admitted you'd got it wrong, and leant your unwavering support to the club instead.

I'll be honest. I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was first announced that Hurst was coming back. It smacked of a lack of imagination. I can't think of another club that has returned to a former manager 3 times in the last 25 years, although no doubt there is one/some.

And yes, Hurst had a horrific start to his second coming, results wise, but at the tail end of the season he had us competing and beating the likes of Bolton - playing with both passion and a game plan. He was clearly dealt a duff hand when he came in but we've been over this so many times...and he's now got rid of a lot of the dross. Hurst has my full support.

This is a new era, the toxicity of the club has been banished, we're off to a winning start, witnessed by a bumper home crowd. What's not to like?

Ok, Weymouth might not be world beaters but we can only beat what's put in front of us. Admittedly Stockport tomorrow night will be a bigger test.

I agree that some may have gone slightly overboard in their delight at beating a team of part timers but after the last 18 months aren't we entitled to?

And to belittle those who have praised the food and drink at the new fanzone and enjoyed the match experience smacks of sour grapes.

Like I said, it'd boring if we all agreed all of the time but I'm curious as to what the purpose is of sniping from afar, constantly attempting to find fault and dragging others down by constantly being a dark cloud? Maybe it's just your schtick.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 143
arryarryarry
August 30, 2021, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker

Exactly and hundreds of millions in the bank buys you Parkinson, I really don't know who people are expecting.

Would Harsley have done any worse than Hurst Arry, I think the question should be, would he have done any better, no I don't think he would.

He probably wouldn't have done any better, but it couldn't have been worse, we were relegated out of the EFL, therefore not Harsley but there may have been someone else who may have known some better players to bring in and sneeked a few more points than Hurst to stay up.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 143
Ipswin
August 30, 2021, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimExile

Well if you support GTFC why won’t you go to a game? You say you don’t like Hurst and that’s fine, but to cite that as a reason not to support the team is frankly ridiculous. If you support a club then you go to games assuming you can afford it and are physically able. End of. #UTM

Assumptions are dangerous. As soon as the treatment I am currently undergoing for stage 3 lung cancer is over and assuming my bowel and liver cancer remains in remission I might consider driving 145 miles each way to watch a National League match at BP. Failing that I hope to be at Southend, Dagenham, Barnet and Kings Lynn so perhaps we can meet up - I assume, if you support GTFC, that you will be at those games, won't you?

Private Message
Reply: 131 - 143
DB
August 30, 2021, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from arryarryarry

He probably wouldn't have done any better, but it couldn't have been worse, we were relegated out of the EFL, therefore not Harsley but there may have been someone else who may have known some better players to bring in and sneeked a few more points than Hurst to stay up.

The reality of our demise from the EFL has been well documented on here and in Cod Almighty. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am, that our relegation was down to 3 words:-

John Shelton Fenty

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 143
oochiad
August 30, 2021, 11:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Ipswin

Assumptions are dangerous. As soon as the treatment I am currently undergoing for stage 3 lung cancer is over and assuming my bowel and liver cancer remains in remission I might consider driving 145 miles each way to watch a National League match at BP. Failing that I hope to be at Southend, Dagenham, Barnet and Kings Lynn so perhaps we can meet up - I assume, if you support GTFC, that you will be at those games, won't you?

Good luck in your recovery Swin. My father has just recovered from having a tumours removed from both lungs and he’s got early stage dementia so can’t remember who our manager is week by week, what I do know is he enjoyed Saturday so much being back in BP with everyone. It’s what got him through all the recovery stages dreaming of GTFC. For him it’s all about friends and our fantastic club, not who is playing and managing so much. As I say good luck with your recovery and I hope you enjoy the games you do get to. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 143
Croxton
August 30, 2021, 12:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Withnail

First of all I'll defend your right to free speech tooth and nail. It'd be dull as ditch water if we all trotted out the same opinions of the management and views of the game etc.

And I think it's absolutely fair enough if your interest has waned following relegation to non league - (again) which is unforgivable - to the point you can only summon up the enthusiasm to go to a game on the proviso it's within an hour or twos drive and that you're chaffeured there and back etc...

But, that all said, here's a hypothetical question...would you really stop yourself from going to more than a couple of games away if we're steamrolling our way through teams and riding high at the top of the league, while playing champagne football? Just because you stated on here that Hurst's appointment was a retrograde step? If so, it sounds like a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If this scenario played out I'm sure most on here would respect you a lot more if you admitted you'd got it wrong, and leant your unwavering support to the club instead.

I'll be honest. I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was first announced that Hurst was coming back. It smacked of a lack of imagination. I can't think of another club that has returned to a former manager 3 times in the last 25 years, although no doubt there is one/some.

And yes, Hurst had a horrific start to his second coming, results wise, but at the tail end of the season he had us competing and beating the likes of Bolton - playing with both passion and a game plan. He was clearly dealt a duff hand when he came in but we've been over this so many times...and he's now got rid of a lot of the dross. Hurst has my full support.

This is a new era, the toxicity of the club has been banished, we're off to a winning start, witnessed by a bumper home crowd. What's not to like?

Ok, Weymouth might not be world beaters but we can only beat what's put in front of us. Admittedly Stockport tomorrow night will be a bigger test.

I agree that some may have gone slightly overboard in their delight at beating a team of part timers but after the last 18 months aren't we entitled to?

And to belittle those who have praised the food and drink at the new fanzone and enjoyed the match experience smacks of sour grapes.

Like I said, it'd boring if we all agreed all of the time but I'm curious as to what the purpose is of sniping from afar, constantly attempting to find fault and dragging others down by constantly being a dark cloud? Maybe it's just your schtick.

You speak for many. As a Hurst doubter I have to admit that, after attending nearly all the preseason games, I have been impressed with the quality and potential of the squad assembled so far. I muttered misgivings when I saw Taylor start after so little preseason but it was a calculated risk and Lennie looked well on the way to full fitness.

BTW. There is some irony in that Ipswin will be one of few on here who could define the word 'schtick ' without recourse to a modern dictionary!  Has a Yiddish origin according to Wiki with further derivations in Polish and German. For me it's what I walk with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 143
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2021, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Ipswin

Good luck in ur recovery firstly .. secondly the fishy is full of posters who quite happily except anything that is dished up regarding gtfc , the last 2 decades emphasise this point.  I personally like people who challenge and question things ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 143
Son of Cod
August 30, 2021, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Ipswin

For someone that's "not that interested" the free scarves and scotch eggs have really got you riled up. Absolutely astounding levels of negativity being reached here. Imagine taking the time out of your day to come on and lambast fans for being happy about improved facilities, free giveaways and picking up three points from the first match of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 143
forza ivano
August 30, 2021, 1:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
does anyone else get the feeling that there are 1 or 2 posters on here who were just willing us to draw or lose against Weymouth so they could let rip with their petty prejudices and anti Hurst/1878 agendas?

seems to me that there are some who just want to pick fault with anything hurst ,on the pitch, and 1878, off the pitch, do and they just cannot wait till we lose or play badly so they can start putting their little digs in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 143
August 30, 2021, 2:29pm
Guest User
!00% agree with you, it's been the same on here for years!
Reply: 138 - 143
VinnyGTFC
August 30, 2021, 2:37pm
Lager Top Drinker

Your welcome to your opinion Vinny. Its the first game of the season on the back of a 10 day isolation period yet after just one game your using the words "out of his depth" and "poor decision making". First game for gods sake and your already writing him off. So yes that makes you a tool in my eyes. I think there is more to come from him and whilst not everything will come off I am quite excited about the times when it does. How's that?

Your possibly presuming I haven't seen him play before which is a touch naive. Interesting that a comment on a thread makes me appear 'a tool' . I respect yours and everyone else's views and I hope you are correct and I am wrong however that's my view and I defend my right to voice it without being called childish names.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 143
GrimExile
August 30, 2021, 4:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I can only apologise for my comments as I genuinely didn’t know about your health issues and I hope you accept them and fully recover.

However I don’t think I’m in the minority when I say I do not understand why you appear to be negative at all times as regards anything GTFC.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 143
newarkmariner
August 30, 2021, 8:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
Gold Stars: 43
i think everyone hopes ipswin makes a full recovery,however his non stop nasty negative comments have been the same for as long as ive been on the fishy,hes never got a good thing too say,regardless off manager,never comments on wins,but is all over it like a cheap hooker when we lose,and who would have known that attending 1 match a year can make you an expert,blokes a girls private with f%$k all too say but says it too loudly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 143
arryarryarry
August 30, 2021, 9:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from newarkmariner
i think everyone hopes ipswin makes a full recovery,however his non stop nasty negative comments have been the same for as long as ive been on the fishy,hes never got a good thing too say,regardless off manager,never comments on wins,but is all over it like a cheap hooker when we lose,and who would have known that attending 1 match a year can make you an expert,blokes a girls private with f%$k all too say but says it too loudly

I think you will find there are quite a few on here that hardly ever get to a game who think they are experts.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 143
Madeleymariner
August 30, 2021, 9:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 51
And I think there are people on here that should cut out disgusting personal insults re people they don't personally know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 143
15 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.