Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 263 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 18,209 views. Print
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
August 30, 2021, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Exactly and hundreds of millions in the bank buys you Parkinson, I really don't know who people are expecting.

Would Harsley have done any worse than Hurst Arry, I think the question should be, would he have done any better, no I don't think he would.

He probably wouldn't have done any better, but it couldn't have been worse, we were relegated out of the EFL, therefore not Harsley but there may have been someone else who may have known some better players to bring in and sneeked a few more points than Hurst to stay up.
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 143
Ipswin
August 30, 2021, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from GrimExile

Well if you support GTFC why won’t you go to a game? You say you don’t like Hurst and that’s fine, but to cite that as a reason not to support the team is frankly ridiculous. If you support a club then you go to games assuming you can afford it and are physically able. End of. #UTM

Assumptions are dangerous. As soon as the treatment I am currently undergoing for stage 3 lung cancer is over and assuming my bowel and liver cancer remains in remission I might consider driving 145 miles each way to watch a National League match at BP. Failing that I hope to be at Southend, Dagenham, Barnet and Kings Lynn so perhaps we can meet up - I assume, if you support GTFC, that you will be at those games, won't you?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 143
DB
August 30, 2021, 11:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from arryarryarry

He probably wouldn't have done any better, but it couldn't have been worse, we were relegated out of the EFL, therefore not Harsley but there may have been someone else who may have known some better players to bring in and sneeked a few more points than Hurst to stay up.

The reality of our demise from the EFL has been well documented on here and in Cod Almighty. I may be wrong, but I don't think I am, that our relegation was down to 3 words:-

John Shelton Fenty

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 143
oochiad
August 30, 2021, 11:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Ipswin

Assumptions are dangerous. As soon as the treatment I am currently undergoing for stage 3 lung cancer is over and assuming my bowel and liver cancer remains in remission I might consider driving 145 miles each way to watch a National League match at BP. Failing that I hope to be at Southend, Dagenham, Barnet and Kings Lynn so perhaps we can meet up - I assume, if you support GTFC, that you will be at those games, won't you?

Good luck in your recovery Swin. My father has just recovered from having a tumours removed from both lungs and he’s got early stage dementia so can’t remember who our manager is week by week, what I do know is he enjoyed Saturday so much being back in BP with everyone. It’s what got him through all the recovery stages dreaming of GTFC. For him it’s all about friends and our fantastic club, not who is playing and managing so much. As I say good luck with your recovery and I hope you enjoy the games you do get to. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 143
Croxton
August 30, 2021, 12:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Withnail

First of all I'll defend your right to free speech tooth and nail. It'd be dull as ditch water if we all trotted out the same opinions of the management and views of the game etc.

And I think it's absolutely fair enough if your interest has waned following relegation to non league - (again) which is unforgivable - to the point you can only summon up the enthusiasm to go to a game on the proviso it's within an hour or twos drive and that you're chaffeured there and back etc...

But, that all said, here's a hypothetical question...would you really stop yourself from going to more than a couple of games away if we're steamrolling our way through teams and riding high at the top of the league, while playing champagne football? Just because you stated on here that Hurst's appointment was a retrograde step? If so, it sounds like a serious case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If this scenario played out I'm sure most on here would respect you a lot more if you admitted you'd got it wrong, and leant your unwavering support to the club instead.

I'll be honest. I wasn't overly enthusiastic when it was first announced that Hurst was coming back. It smacked of a lack of imagination. I can't think of another club that has returned to a former manager 3 times in the last 25 years, although no doubt there is one/some.

And yes, Hurst had a horrific start to his second coming, results wise, but at the tail end of the season he had us competing and beating the likes of Bolton - playing with both passion and a game plan. He was clearly dealt a duff hand when he came in but we've been over this so many times...and he's now got rid of a lot of the dross. Hurst has my full support.

This is a new era, the toxicity of the club has been banished, we're off to a winning start, witnessed by a bumper home crowd. What's not to like?

Ok, Weymouth might not be world beaters but we can only beat what's put in front of us. Admittedly Stockport tomorrow night will be a bigger test.

I agree that some may have gone slightly overboard in their delight at beating a team of part timers but after the last 18 months aren't we entitled to?

And to belittle those who have praised the food and drink at the new fanzone and enjoyed the match experience smacks of sour grapes.

Like I said, it'd boring if we all agreed all of the time but I'm curious as to what the purpose is of sniping from afar, constantly attempting to find fault and dragging others down by constantly being a dark cloud? Maybe it's just your schtick.

You speak for many. As a Hurst doubter I have to admit that, after attending nearly all the preseason games, I have been impressed with the quality and potential of the squad assembled so far. I muttered misgivings when I saw Taylor start after so little preseason but it was a calculated risk and Lennie looked well on the way to full fitness.

BTW. There is some irony in that Ipswin will be one of few on here who could define the word 'schtick ' without recourse to a modern dictionary!  Has a Yiddish origin according to Wiki with further derivations in Polish and German. For me it's what I walk with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 143
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2021, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Ipswin

Good luck in ur recovery firstly .. secondly the fishy is full of posters who quite happily except anything that is dished up regarding gtfc , the last 2 decades emphasise this point.  I personally like people who challenge and question things ..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 143
Son of Cod
August 30, 2021, 12:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Ipswin

Firstly I'm not that interested and secondly I have already made my position clear whilst Hurst is in charge. I certainly wouldn't drive to Grimsby and back to see a classic against Weymouth, pick up a free scarf and try a scotch egg, I might do Kings Lynn and Southend to see Pete for a pint if he is going and my lad drives.

For someone that's "not that interested" the free scarves and scotch eggs have really got you riled up. Absolutely astounding levels of negativity being reached here. Imagine taking the time out of your day to come on and lambast fans for being happy about improved facilities, free giveaways and picking up three points from the first match of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 143
forza ivano
August 30, 2021, 1:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
does anyone else get the feeling that there are 1 or 2 posters on here who were just willing us to draw or lose against Weymouth so they could let rip with their petty prejudices and anti Hurst/1878 agendas?

seems to me that there are some who just want to pick fault with anything hurst ,on the pitch, and 1878, off the pitch, do and they just cannot wait till we lose or play badly so they can start putting their little digs in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 143
August 30, 2021, 2:29pm
Guest User
!00% agree with you, it's been the same on here for years!
Reply: 138 - 143
VinnyGTFC
August 30, 2021, 2:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +142
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Your welcome to your opinion Vinny. Its the first game of the season on the back of a 10 day isolation period yet after just one game your using the words "out of his depth" and "poor decision making". First game for gods sake and your already writing him off. So yes that makes you a tool in my eyes. I think there is more to come from him and whilst not everything will come off I am quite excited about the times when it does. How's that?

Your possibly presuming I haven't seen him play before which is a touch naive. Interesting that a comment on a thread makes me appear 'a tool' . I respect yours and everyone else's views and I hope you are correct and I am wrong however that's my view and I defend my right to voice it without being called childish names.
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 143
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.