10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner2000
August 11, 2021, 9:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +171
Gold Stars: 4
Just to point out that Jason didn't say we had spent more on playing budget than we expected just more full stop.

That could be backroom staff, glass barriers, sprinklers training ground improvements and all the other good stuff they've done that's contributed to overall costs,  

They were very clear when the season ended that players still on the books would not constrain us and these figures were known at this time whereas costs for "ïmprovements" and maintenance may not have been clear
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 60 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm pretty sure your comments did relate to a specific club otherwise it's all gone a bit abstract 😂

They didn’t actually. I’m no scientist but I suspect that most fans would be happier with a 1-0 win on a soggy quagmire than a 0-0 on a billiard table pitch having had a nice pint afterwards. It’s got to be about football first and foremost, that’s not to say that the result and the ambience are mutually exclusive.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 93
EvilFish
August 11, 2021, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
I'm happy just to be at the match with a few friends, have a nice beer and watch the footy. A win is a bonus, but my entire life doesn't hang on the result of one football match.

Football teams lose matches and (with the exception of a handful of 'elite' clubs) are mostly unsuccessful across their entire histories. Success is fleeting.

So just take it easy, and try to enjoy what is in front of you for a short while. Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from EvilFish
I'm happy just to be at the match with a few friends, have a nice beer and watch the footy. A win is a bonus, but my entire life doesn't hang on the result of one football match.

Football teams lose matches and (with the exception of a handful of 'elite' clubs) are mostly unsuccessful across their entire histories. Success is fleeting.

So just take it easy, and try to enjoy what is in front of you for a short while. Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen.

You can have your choice, I’ll have mine. Please don’t patronise.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 93
EvilFish
August 11, 2021, 11:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Well stop bealing on about it then. Jesus Christ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 7:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Selling nice food and beer means more money for the club to invest in players.

It almost certainly doesn't. The reason that the club ended up with what was there before was because they have never made money by doing it themselves. Unless they're franchising out the stands to other companies (which they may be), then it is very likely to make the club less money.

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. Having decent food at a match is a part of the experience for many people and will improve their day out. But all of these improvements come at a cost, and that money has to come from somewhere.

With a new executive and other new positions in the club, a new barrier, sprinkler system, training facilities and whatever other work has been paid for, it looks like around £500k extra cost this year plus the loans getting repaid. And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing.

It's incredibly difficult to fund all of the infrastructure work and have a competitive playing budget without a sugar daddy or some form of council/government money on the stadium. We don't have that and need to accept that 4k fans does not fund a championship or even league 1 level club long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 93
Davec
August 13, 2021, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from pen penfras

It almost certainly doesn't. The reason that the club ended up with what was there before was because they have never made money by doing it themselves. Unless they're franchising out the stands to other companies (which they may be), then it is very likely to make the club less money.

That doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. Having decent food at a match is a part of the experience for many people and will improve their day out. But all of these improvements come at a cost, and that money has to come from somewhere.

With a new executive and other new positions in the club, a new barrier, sprinkler system, training facilities and whatever other work has been paid for, it looks like around £500k extra cost this year plus the loans getting repaid. And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing.

It's incredibly difficult to fund all of the infrastructure work and have a competitive playing budget without a sugar daddy or some form of council/government money on the stadium. We don't have that and need to accept that 4k fans does not fund a championship or even league 1 level club long term.

"And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing"

So you've finally admitted the person you always bend over backwards to support John Fenty let the club slip so far behind the modern times?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 7:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Davec

"And that's not even scratching the surface of what needs doing"

So you've finally admitted the person you always bend over backwards to support John Fenty let the club slip so far behind the modern times?

When have I ever stated that the ground doesn't need work? I've always said that we don't have enough supporters to fund a decrepit old stadium and compete at the level that the fans expect. Fenty went for the option of spending as much on the playing budget as possible and doing a minor amount on infrastructure. Looks like we're now going to see what happens when a lot is spent on non playing costs and the club is run sustainably, because that's what the new guys are saying. My guess is that the moaners will soon be back to moaning, but have a nice burger and unobstructed view of the pitch whilst they moan. Unless we get lucky this season, which it will be with our defence and strikers at the moment, then I can see another tough time financially for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 93
Bignic69
August 13, 2021, 7:47am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from pen penfras

When have I ever stated that the ground doesn't need work? I've always said that we don't have enough supporters to fund a decrepit old stadium and compete at the level that the fans expect. Fenty went for the option of spending as much on the playing budget as possible and doing a minor amount on infrastructure. Looks like we're now going to see what happens when a lot is spent on non playing costs and the club is run sustainably, because that's what the new guys are saying. My guess is that the moaners will soon be back to moaning, but have a nice burger and unobstructed view of the pitch whilst they moan. Unless we get lucky this season, which it will be with our defence and strikers at the moment, then I can see another tough time financially for the club.

Rubbish, he penny pinched on all fronts

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 93
pen penfras
August 13, 2021, 8:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Bignic69

Rubbish, he penny pinched on all fronts

Call it what you like, we hardly ever made a profit and the vast majority of our expenditure was on the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In today’s Grimsby Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.