Mendonca1995
August 11, 2021, 4:19pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
What about all the money we have got for pollock grist and dembele (100k for getting promotion) are we not using any of that to sign a striker, this could be the difference between a real promotion push or trying to get at least a playoff place a lot of fans again feel disappointed i am trying to stay calm about the striker situation but time is ticking

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 93
mariner91
August 11, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Bigdog

What stood out for me was our "top end of the league budget" in May has been rowed back to a Fentyesque "competitive budget" in August.

In their defence they probably weren’t expecting Chesterfield to splurge £250K and a three year contract on a striker in his mid 20s who’s never played above the NL before. Or that Wrexham would be willing to pay one player £6/7K a week. Plus the fee for the lad from Carlisle won’t have been cheap, God knows what their budget is but it will dwarf even the likes of Fleetwood’s or Luton’s. Plus Stockport aren’t exactly penny pinching.

I imagine that our budget is probably better than it was at any point under Fenty. I would like us to be as competitive as possible and give it a real crack this season with the parachute payments/season tickets/transfer money received helping to boost the budget further. But if Wrexham alone are paying those silly amounts of money, then I’d rather we were more sensible and paid enough for good players (like Fox and McAtee) but not leave us potentially in trouble if it fails.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 93
Grimsbynewhope
August 11, 2021, 4:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1

All well and good. We can see the logic behind it and appreciate it is going to be a mid to long term ambition to turn the "organisation" around but we won't be thinking of that on a Saturday afternoon when we fail to score for the umpteenth time because we did not think it important enough to have a comparable budget for strikers as our main competitors.

In reality, I don't think people will be very patient having waited all these years for change if we don't have one of the very best, if not the best team in our league.

If they have given the manager the budget necessary and he cannot spend it then fair enough, but with 10 days to go before the season starts  I would be more inclined to think his main targets have been missed because we would not pay the fee involved and/or wages.

I am another who has not renewed 2 season tickets because I expected more excitement and intent to get us back into the league pronto.

I would go as far as to say it will be a bloody nightmare if we are not right up there from the off.

Can’t believe the new owners have not sorted all GTFCs problems in the substantial time they’ve been in control. Maybe we should try and get Fenty and the old board back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 93
MuddyWaters
August 11, 2021, 4:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,290
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from marinerjase
Jesus wept…

Some people..

Correct me if I’m wrong but the new owners have never once said they’d have the best budget, or be prepared to splash out over the odds.

There’s no quick fix. As someone said the other day the clubs reputation was in the gutter from previous relationships with other clubs, players and media. The working conditions awful, ground in ruins..list is endless..

It will take time..but improvement , gradual..along the way and signs of progress, on and off pitch are sufficient enough for those level headed supporters.

There’s no need to panic before a ball has been kicked..or fret because we haven’t signed a striker..there’s time..more than most realise obviously.

We’ll be ok.. if people allow them the chance to be.

Professional football clubs thrive or fail on the pitch. Mid table conference this season will cause a big downturn in season ticket sales for next season, especially given the hype that has been created.

Our squad looks well short in certain areas, Einstein isn’t needed to work that out, but it’s beginning to look like Aldi and Lidl have sold out of strikers and we’re in the queue at Poundland.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 93
BottesfordMariner
August 11, 2021, 4:35pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Stockwood and Petit are successful businessmen and up to now they have been saying the right things.

But I am slightly disturbed by the fact that they have now said they have spent more already than they expected. hmmmm... seems a bit naive and there are still some gaps in the squad to fill.

And other teams seem to be making more of a splash with signings and we may be left behind. Certainly doesnt appear at first glance to a club going for an immediate return to the FL. And already the excitement of Fenty stepping aside and the dawn of a new era seems to be diminishing before our eyes.

Presumably they have got an unexpected windfall from the sales of Pollock and Grist and and perhaps more if Dembele leaves Peterborough. Enough to invest more in the playing budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 93
lew chaterleys lover
August 11, 2021, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,791
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope

Can’t believe the new owners have not sorted all GTFCs problems in the substantial time they’ve been in control. Maybe we should try and get Fenty and the old board back.

Very droll.

It is very important we challenge the new owners right from the very start - the opposite to the Fenty era when he had years of making the same mistakes season after season and still people didn't question it.

All I am saying is that the performances ON the field are what they will be judged by. They must know that, and if they have miscalculated what a competitive budget is for the playing side they have time to correct it.

The social responsibility aspect of owning GTFC is important. Improvements to the stadium are important but none of that will matter if we are not challenging at the top this season.

Success breeds success; they will find it a lot easier to progress with their long term plans if the playing side is successful. Bigger gates, bigger revenues, more sponsorship, merchandise sales etc. I cannot imagine many fans being patient if we fail to trouble the top of the table in non-league.

All our discussions are based on conjecture till we see how the season pans out but we are commenting on the squad so far, and the obvious lack of strikers.

At 5 o'clock on a Saturday we will not be having any threads about the B Corp application, will we?  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 93
forza ivano
August 11, 2021, 4:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Poojah

I bloody well hope it isn't because if you're telling me we spent well over half-a-million quid last season on Bennett, Hanson, Green, Rose and Williams then I'm going to have a fúcking aneurism.

I think you may need to call a doctor. Hanson ,for a start, was up there with Macca and will have cost us nearly 300k with all add ons. Have it on good authority we were paying 500 a week of bennetts 4k.green was on near enough 2k p.w. and my guess is that rose and William's wouldve been on similar.i suspect the total cost is actually nearer 600k than the half million
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 93
gtfc_akpa_akpro
August 11, 2021, 4:52pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
“Ey up Andy and Jason, just wanted to let you boys know I’m willing to chuck £500,000 of my own cash for you to buy a couple of new strikers” said none of the whiners on social media.

Go out there, earn your money like Jason and Andrew have and go and splurge it as you wish on the team.

Jesus wept some in this fan base are unbelievable. Never seen a team written off quicker that a Town team before a ball has been kicked.

What happened to bringing to club back to the community and everyone pulling together? When did everyone become an expert on strikers and fortune telling to decide we haven’t already got a decent striker?

I really hope the owners never read this forum because I’d be thinking a lot of people on here are ungrateful fornicators.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 93
August 11, 2021, 4:55pm
Guest User
This^^
Reply: 28 - 93
Vance Warner
August 11, 2021, 4:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,833
Gold Stars: 106
The best thing the new owners can do is stay off social media and the fishy. I don’t expect us to go up this season not because I don’t have high expectations but because of the state we were in on and off the pitch a few months ago. My biggest fear is that a section of support will become increasingly unpleasant when we’re not at the top of the league. Anyone suggesting we need time will be called a happy clapper, Paul Hurst will be slated for playing anything other than 442 and the fishy will be quiet when we win and packed when we lose. Surely we’ve all seen enough failure now to have a bit of perspective.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › In today’s Grimsby Telegraph

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.