Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
promotion plaice
April 30, 2021, 9:38am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
Son of Cod
April 30, 2021, 10:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
RIP.

Not much to add here, up there with Andy Todd in terms of quality of loanees though. Was superb for us. 48 is no age to go. Does anyone know what happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
wuffing
April 30, 2021, 10:26am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 40
RIP Zhang  

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
Poojah
April 30, 2021, 11:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,897
Gold Stars: 1,527
I'm not sure why, but my abiding memories of Zhang - absolutely cast in my mind's eye, are of him in that all red Dixons kit. There are three away games in particular that really stand out in my mind.

The first was the 2-1 away win Preston, just before Christmas 2000. Town went behind after about 19 seconds after falling asleep at an early free kick. Menno Willems equalised with a low free kick their Finnish keeper (Moilanen?) should have rightly kept out, before Grovesey headed us in front from a corner in the second half. Town fans were put in an old, half-derelict stand down one side of the pitch - I think Deepdale was only half-developed back then and there was still a terrace behind one of the goals. Town fans singing "Oh what fun it is to see the Grimsby win away", to the tune of Jingle Bells.

Then there was that random Wednesday nighter against Bolton at the Reebok. £5 to get in, a fairground outside the stadium, a massive pyrotechnics display on the absolutely knackered pitch as the players emerged from the tunnel(s) - no something you saw a lot of at the time. Livvo put Town in front in the first half I think, with Zhang leaping like a salmon to put us back into the lead in the second after Bolton had equalised. Ended 2-2 and Town were unlucky not to win - made all the more frustrating by the two massive flags held aloft by a couple of kids on one side of the pitch whenever Bolton scored.

The last one was a few weeks later, Paddy's day away at QPR. I was only a kid, relatively speaking, so I went on Bernard's bus which crashed into a taxi on the way to the ground. That game was probably most memorable for the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen from Danny Coyne as he kept Peter Crouch at bay time and time again, followed by a smash and grab, late winner for Town from a scrappy corner. I know that result particularly rankled one Ian Holloway, having previously read his autobiography, which is nice.

Thanks for the memories Zhang! Forever a GTFC cult hero.

[img]https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/mar-2001-peter-crouch-of-qpr-is-surrounded-by-wayne-burnett-and-zhang-picture-id1186428?s=2048x2048[/img]

And wow, it doesn't half make you feel old when your childhood footballing heroes die. A sad, sad week for the club.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
KingstonMariner
April 30, 2021, 12:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s even sadder when a football ‘hero’ who’s a decade younger than you dies Poojah. That really brings home a sense of your own mortality.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
TAGG
April 30, 2021, 10:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Loved watching him while he was with Town
What a shock.
RIP

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
Abdul19
April 30, 2021, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,616
Gold Stars: 220

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
Marinerdeano
April 30, 2021, 11:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Genuinely gutted about this. Such a happy guy. As time goes by there are just so many things to become saddened by. RIP Zhang.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Zhang Enhua

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.