3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ska face
April 29, 2021, 12:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
I really like Hurst, but agree with some on here who say he’s more concerned with not losing than going out to win. It’s fair enough in some cases, but you want a team to be confident in their ability to go and win, not have an organised battle and hope for a good outcome.

I say it every year but we really, really need to get off to a good start next year and be pushing for the top spots. I don’t get why getting 3 points in August isn’t treated with the same urgency as getting 3 points in April, regardless or which end of the table you’re at.

When was the last time we had a decent start over the first 10 games? Probably not in my lifetime.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
nightrider
April 29, 2021, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10

Hanson injured.
Lamy a possibility but not really a striker.
Jackson - there is obviously something Hurst doesn't trust or he thinks he's too inexperienced. He could have played.
You'll recall one of our our strikers headbutted a team mate and made himself unavailable!

Who else?

And that would be the Matt Green who had scored 4 days earlier in a critical game when he'd been told he was playing DURING the warm up.

Yes you're right, that goal green scored was fully intentional and then he ended up having a sensational game and ran Exeter ragged - Paul Hurst was correct to pick him and not go with a fit Jackson

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 29, 2021, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from nightrider

Yes you're right, that goal green scored was fully intentional and then he ended up having a sensational game and ran Exeter ragged - Paul Hurst was correct to pick him and not go with a fit Jackson

Alright, put your handbag away girlfriend......

I noted Jackson could have played but it's obvious Hurst doesn't trust/rate/want him. I'd have preferred Jackson to start but I don't see him every day in training, I don't know what he says to Hurst and I do know that Green scored at Oldham.

When the sh*t hit the fan Green scored and that's what you pay strikers for, regardless of how pretty the goal is. If your criteria for picking strikers this season is having a sensational game and running the opposition ragged we would have started most games with 6 in midfield.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 29, 2021, 2:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

Well I must be a moron then. My first ever post on here was in about February that season in exasperation calling for Hurst to dispense with Monkhouse and 4-4-2 in favour of playing Clay in a midfield three with Disley and Nolan. How poor were we towards the end of that season limping into the play-offs behind Braintree and how did playing three in centre midfield work out in the return leg at Braintree and the final then?

I actually like Hurst as a character, but I do have certain misgivings about him managing us next season. Quite prepared to see how his recruitment is in the window and how we're going around Xmas before taking a view. Far more interested to learn of what plans Stockwood and Pettit have for the club going forward than whether Hurst is manager or not. It's far more important. Hoping to be excited and fearing of being underwhelmed at the same time. Not long to wait to find out.. but at least that charlatan Fenty will be out of the building, a major step forward for the club all on it's own..

I will join you in the moron ranks. Going forward, I hope PH has learnt a lot in the way of tactics and substitutions over the past 5 years. There will be a lot of sides coming to BP and parking the bus. When this has happened before Hurst didn’t seem to anticipate it and looked pretty clueless about how to deal with it.

I would settle for just getting out of the NFL any old how. We don’t want another 5 years slowly building up to a play off, I want to see us bully sides home and away. Hurst has said the right things about fitness, it does matter. Therefore facilities matter. We also need to do something about the seemingly endless stream of training injuries. But most of all we need to have tactical ideas on how to get results even from lousy games, 3 points not one, look how that has cost us. Plus we need at least one player sharp enough to take those half chances that put opponents on the back foot.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2021, 5:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
I really like Hurst, but agree with some on here who say he’s more concerned with not losing than going out to win. It’s fair enough in some cases, but you want a team to be confident in their ability to go and win, not have an organised battle and hope for a good outcome.

I say it every year but we really, really need to get off to a good start next year and be pushing for the top spots. I don’t get why getting 3 points in August isn’t treated with the same urgency as getting 3 points in April, regardless or which end of the table you’re at.

When was the last time we had a decent start over the first 10 games? Probably not in my lifetime.

1990-91 season.

Pretty good start in 1998-99. And in 2001-02  weat least resultswise if not the performances.

2005-06? Certainly won a lot away.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Expectation from certain fans

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.