April 29, 2021, 6:25am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from MNH1972

Humbercod
How would you describe our preparation for this season ?
Player retention
Player recruitment
Preaseason friendlies

Quite shocking really! Although I did support the clubs decision At the time on these so called covid contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 113
buckstown
April 29, 2021, 9:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
The beauty of these forums is that we're all entitled to an opinion, in fact it's part of the fun in football. We just need to be courteous because we're all Grimsby fans
Hurst will always divide opinion but I hope we can support him positively. Whenever you measure the success of a GTFC manager in the last 17 years you have to factor in the influence of our dear leader so for me he's an overall success.I hope we can give him a chance to succeed, not wait for him to fail and I truly hope that this time next week there will be blue skies over Blundell Park and the new regime can build a positive future
I'm going for walk now before the medication wears off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 113
April 29, 2021, 9:29am
Guest User
Quoted from Humbercod

None of them oversaw our relegation out of the football league, it could well be a generation before we get back. End of the day he had 5 months give or take and he’s totally failed.... this is not even up for debate.
I really don’t get this love for Hurst!
  As you can see, people don't agree with you, that is because you don't see what Hurst did to to the 'non-team' he took over, and put together a decent team that beat Bolton away.  Go away and read some books, watch some videos and see if that will help you see the difference between Holloways team and Paul Hursts team.

Reply: 92 - 113
April 29, 2021, 9:34am
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

In the interests of balance, you wouldn't get a unanimous response on that one at all.  Hurst still splits the fan base.  

I'm happy for him to continue here.  I think that whilst he's made mistakes and was too cautious for too long, he's done a decent job to get us to 2 games to go before we were relegated.  

But it's the splitting of the fan base that worries me a bit.  A couple of early draws against Kings Lynn and Dover next season and Blundell Park will be brewing with vitriol towards Hurst.

Interesting point regards Westley, could read it as Slade Mk II here as well.

So just how much is the fan base split(and I don't mean just those on this forum), 50/50, 40/60 90/10, and could you show me what evidence/proof you have of that statement?
Reply: 93 - 113
dapperz fun pub
April 29, 2021, 9:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from 123614

So just how much is the fan base split(and I don't mean just those on this forum), 50/50, 40/60 90/10, and could you show me what evidence/proof you have of that statement?

Without employing yougov I think it would be hard to get actual stats .. but I think it is fair to say not everyone is convinced hurst can bring us straight back. I’m sure he will get us top 7 play offs ,but not sure we will challenge for the title having said that until we know what sort of budget he’s got I’ll reserve judgement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 113
April 29, 2021, 9:44am
Guest User
But the point is, he is making a blanket statement.  Just where does he get that Information from, I don't believe that stat is out there anywhere, just the opinion of one man.
Reply: 95 - 113
diehardmariner
April 29, 2021, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from 123614

Respectfully, I'm not going to take screenshots of every social media post or record every conversation I have with someone who isn't a fan of Hurst.

I've absolutely no idea what the split is, I dare say it'll vary depending on the mood of the individual and indeed how we performed in our last game.  Football fans by nature are fickle, I include myself in that one!  There have been points since his return where I've doubted if he was the man for the job and criticised his approach, equally so times when I've felt he was absolutely the right man to get us out of trouble.

The point is that there is and always will be a number of people who don't like him or how he sets his teams up to play.  Because of our years and years of abject failure and that patience has run out for a lot of people, I worry that expectations will be huge next season and Hurst will be in the firing line of some at the first stumble.
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 113
diehardmariner
April 29, 2021, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from 123614
But the point is, he is making a blanket statement.  Just where does he get that Information from, I don't believe that stat is out there anywhere, just the opinion of one man.

Right - I replied in response to RichMariner saying any Town fan would say Hurst is the best manager we've had in the last 20 years.  I said he wouldn't get an unanimous response on that one at all.  That's not exactly me conducting a field study.  It's me using an eyeball test to see that not everyone will agree with that.  

I'll put my testicles on the line that I could easily find a Town fan in the next 10 minutes who disagrees with the statement (that's not a dig at RichMariner's post either, I thought it was a good one and I agree with the point he makes).  It doesn't need a stat.  You only need to look on Twitter, Facebook, even here to find a single person who doesn't rate Hurst.

Private Message
Reply: 97 - 113
realist
April 29, 2021, 9:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from 123614
  As you can see, people don't agree with you, that is because you don't see what Hurst did to to the 'non-team' he took over, and put together a decent team that beat Bolton away.  Go away and read some books, watch some videos and see if that will help you see the difference between Holloways team and Paul Hursts team.

You mean he put together a team worse than the one he inherited and won relegation?
Any relegation manager should be sacked.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 113
Humbercod
April 29, 2021, 9:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 123614

You think the Fishy is the consensus😂 have you been on social media?
Bolton is now the benchmark? They’re in a worse condition as a club than most.

I’m really not the type who gets upset being in the minority especially on here, I’m pleased though that most like yourself can respect my views without getting abusive.

I could maybe except this Hurst team is better than Holloway’s my issue is it’s to little to late his record is very poor overall since he came back as being bottom and relegated proves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Deans Tweet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.