12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimsbynewhope
April 29, 2021, 10:09am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 1
On the point of any manager who’s team gets relegated should be sacked, I don’t think you’ll get many Hull City fans agreeing with that, and secondly no manager even with the best budget can guarantee promotion first season, given the team and resources available to Hurst the outcome was predictable. But what he has proven is he is capable of building a promotion wining team. Give the guy a chance, get behind the team and judge at the end of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 113
buckstown
April 29, 2021, 10:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Grimsbynewhope
On the point of any manager who’s team gets relegated should be sacked, I don’t think you’ll get many Hull City fans agreeing with that, and secondly no manager even with the best budget can guarantee promotion first season, given the team and resources available to Hurst the outcome was predictable. But what he has proven is he is capable of building a promotion wining team. Give the guy a chance, get behind the team and judge at the end of the season.

That's an interesting point about Hull because they had a disastrous end to 2019-20 and most fans wanted him gone way before the season end. Another bonus point for continuity. Same as Norwich keeping Farke (?) when they got relegated from the PL
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 113
Rodley Mariner
April 29, 2021, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
I hope there is a huge focus on hitting the ground running next season. If we could get off to a good start then hopefully post the worst of Covid and with new owners there can be some genuine positivity generated. So a proper pre-season, key targets identified and secured early, people who are fit and ready to go, not last minute Kyle Bennett style loans. We're going to finish our season nearly two months earlier than the national league teams in the play offs who should be our main competitors which can be a really significant advantage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 113
Humbercod
April 29, 2021, 10:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,503
Gold Stars: 82

Yes good point I though McCann would of been gone by Xmas, let’s hope Hurst can do the same and take us back as champions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 113
friskneymariner
April 29, 2021, 10:43am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
After having been a Town fan for 60 years I unlike most of the people who are creaming themselves over the new regime,are going to reserve judgment.I have seen too many false dawns and whilst I wish the nwe regime every success I am not going to book my Wembley hotel yet.Give it time .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 113
April 29, 2021, 11:29am
Guest User
Quoted from Humbercod

You think the Fishy is the consensus😂 have you been on social media?
Bolton is now the benchmark? They’re in a worse condition as a club than most.

I’m really not the type who gets upset being in the minority especially on here, I’m pleased though that most like yourself can respect my views without getting abusive.

I could maybe except this Hurst team is better than Holloway’s my issue is it’s to little to late his record is very poor overall since he came back as being bottom and relegated proves.

No, I don't think the Fishy is the consensus, I have stated that many times on this forum, but neither is any other social media.  I look at Twitter ever  match day, all you get is a few posters.  To really find out what people think, you would have to somehow get hold of the 5000 or so fans that go to matches, allegedly, plus those who don't or can't go for whatever reason.  Bolton!  Oh yeah, they in a really bad position, 3rd in the League just 3 points behind the Leaders.

Reply: 105 - 113
RichMariner
April 29, 2021, 12:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
My original post was, admittedly, a generalisation. I think the point I was trying to make is that no one can deny that, based on promotions alone, Hurst is the most successful manager we've had in the past 20 years.

Even his detractors have to accept that. But it doesn't stop them having an opinion on his style, his methods, his signings, etc, which I think is what DHM is alluding to.

Despite his success, he does split the fanbase to some degree. Personally, I think literally any manager will split the fan base. We all look back to the unanimous approval of Holloway's appointment, and how he split the fan base with his methods (or lack of them) and then, ironically, united the fan base through his behaviour towards the end of his tenure.

I'm hoping Hurst's return follows the story of Buckley's (first) return, when he signed some trusted players in the summer, built the 97/98 squad and delivered one of our best seasons ever.

Hurst has his detractors and no doubt the pressure on him to get us promoted will be greater than at any point during his first spell, but I think there won't be so much pressure from the people above him. Seems like JS and AP want him here to rebuild us on and off the pitch.

Fans will judge him on results, while the board will be judging him on a remit far wider than that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 106 - 113
Youngy
April 29, 2021, 1:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 9

McCan only won 1 in the last 20 games last season and that included some absolute spankings.

Another example is Daniel Farke at Norwich. Sometimes, results are not the only reason for failure..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 113
mike_d
April 29, 2021, 2:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
I think that we can all see that Hurst's current team if given maybe a few more games would have kept us up, with the form trajectory they were on.

Some would say too little, too late.

Or you could say that someone didn't get rid of Holloway early enough and give Hurst the extra time?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 113
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2021, 5:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from friskneymariner
After having been a Town fan for 60 years I unlike most of the people who are creaming themselves over the new regime,are going to reserve judgment.I have seen too many false dawns and whilst I wish the nwe regime every success I am not going to book my Wembley hotel yet.Give it time .

I think that’s a very reasonable stance to adopt. The positivity that people are showing is because they’re so desperate for Fenty to go. Even if 1878 don’t live up to some people’s expectations, it will be a big improvement.

Things I have reservations on are how the Fenty loans are going to be repaid (we know 1878 are underwriting them but how much per season is coming out of the club’s turnover), and how much or little will be in the company accounts (we have a very transparent set of accounts currently); and what will be the position of the Trust as a shareholder and club decision maker.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Deans Tweet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.