12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
April 28, 2021, 10:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 211
Interesting point made earlier about Hurst's time at Ipswich being beset with egos and players on bigger contracts.

I believe some managers aren't cut out to work at big clubs. We know that Hurst is excellent at building squads that play for each other, where there are no egos, just proper team players.

He seems to recruit players who have something to prove, and tends to get the best out of them (not always).

I imagine it's very different managing a team of players that are roughly on £800 - £1500 a week than it is to manage players who are on ten times as much. Those coining it in have probably never had to contemplate a career after football, or known what it's like to work before getting into pro football.

Maybe Hurst couldn't relate to players on that kind of money, and perhaps they didn't share his work ethic. I'm speculating, of course, but I do believe disparities like this exist in football (and in most sports). The gap in pay between L2 and Championship is vast now.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 80 - 113
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 28, 2021, 10:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
The gap in pay between L2 and Championship is vast now.

Id say the gap in L2 between some clubs (forest green, Salford) and others ( Barrow, Harrogate) is probably huge too mate

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 113
jamesgtfc
April 28, 2021, 10:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,049
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
Interesting point made earlier about Hurst's time at Ipswich being beset with egos and players on bigger contracts.

I believe some managers aren't cut out to work at big clubs. We know that Hurst is excellent at building squads that play for each other, where there are no egos, just proper team players.

He seems to recruit players who have something to prove, and tends to get the best out of them (not always).

I imagine it's very different managing a team of players that are roughly on £800 - £1500 a week than it is to manage players who are on ten times as much. Those coining it in have probably never had to contemplate a career after football, or known what it's like to work before getting into pro football.

Maybe Hurst couldn't relate to players on that kind of money, and perhaps they didn't share his work ethic. I'm speculating, of course, but I do believe disparities like this exist in football (and in most sports). The gap in pay between L2 and Championship is vast now.

Absolutely. Look at the Premier League. Sean Dyche has worked wonders at Burnley but most of them players are only playing at that level because of Sean Dyche. Put him in charge of a bigger club and he will most likely fail.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 113
arryarryarry
April 28, 2021, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from RichMariner

But on the flip side, ask any Grimsby fan and they'll say Hurst is one of the best managers they've had in the past 20 years. He's the only one to have led us to a promotion in that time and (without checking) probably has the best win percentage.

A guy who supports Preston told me something very interesting about their appointment of Graham Westley a few years back. Apparently the board knew they had to cut back spending so effectively brought a manager in who could offload players and recruit cheaper ones. Westley probably knew what he was walking into; when it went wrong on the field he'd get the blame and the sack, which was enough of a story to cover the cost-cutting.

I kind of feel like that's where Ipswich were with Hurst. Bring this guy in, reduce the wage budget, it'll probably impact the league position but we'll let the manager take that flak. A 'cover' appointment, if you will, to paper over the cracks.

Erm......no one has asked me yet
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 113
ginnywings
April 28, 2021, 11:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm......no one has asked me yet

No one needs to. You tell us in every post how terrible Hurst is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 113
arryarryarry
April 29, 2021, 12:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

No one needs to. You tell us in every post how terrible Hurst is.

Doh.....read my posts and find where I have used the word "terrible"

Because I don't rate him I believe I am free to post the opposite view to those that do or are you some sort of fascist that wants to stop other peoples opinions?

If you search my posts you will see I am in the main posting facts about his record this season as a reply to those that seem to think he is our saviour.

Private Message
Reply: 85 - 113
FishOutOfWater
April 29, 2021, 12:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Humbercod

Good research! My memory is not what it was 🙈

Well you know how it is

Have to get your facts right.....
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 86 - 113
scrumble
April 29, 2021, 1:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from RichMariner
I believe some managers aren't cut out to work at big clubs.

Buckley at WBA springs to mind as well

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 113
ginnywings
April 29, 2021, 1:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

Doh.....read my posts and find where I have used the word "terrible"

Because I don't rate him I believe I am free to post the opposite view to those that do or are you some sort of fascist that wants to stop other peoples opinions?

If you search my posts you will see I am in the main posting facts about his record this season as a reply to those that seem to think he is our saviour.

Fascist?  

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but it is constantly negative in every single post and the crucial thing is that it is without context. You're blaming Hurst for being the last one standing at the sh1t show.

You are posting facts you say, but facts can be viewed in different ways when you add the mitigating circumstances. I don't think he is our saviour, I just think he was someone who was dealt a sh1tty hand and played it the only way he thought he could, but it was too little, too late.

To take John Macca's analogy further: we were trying to win a gunfight armed with a knife and there were no guns left for sale.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 113
aldi_01
April 29, 2021, 5:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In the last 30/40 years the two managers that have had success both left for bigger clubs and failed. Perhaps, as highlighted in this post, they’re better at working with smaller budgets, players that aren’t just motivated by cash and work tirelessly on developing a work ethic and squad that will almost die for each other.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 113
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Deans Tweet

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.