Son of Cod
April 26, 2021, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from TonySmith
  I want to put in a word for George Williams here. I just don't get why people give him stick. I hope he's just injured and I would love to see him here next year. I honestly think he could be a very important player for us in the National League. He is one of the few players at Town who have genuine quality going forward. It's only a few weeks since he came on at half time at Mansfield and turned the game around, almost winning it right at the end.

Quoted from ska face

Under 2 different managers, he’s started 9 games all season, for a team at the bottom of League 2 with only one team scoring fewer all year. For an attacking midfielder, that probably says something about him more than anyone else.

Can’t imagine Hurst will want him next year, which is a shame as I hoped he’d be able to do a bit of a Jon Nolan-job with him, in turning around a decent player on the slide, but it’s whether the budget and circumstance allows us the luxury.

Quoted from Hagrid
Williams had 1 good half of football in a whole season. Weak in the tackle and done absolutely nothing else

Another waste of time and money

At the risk of splitting hairs, Williams was class against Orient as well as Mansfield (which is the half I assume you're talking about).

There's obviously a player with enough quality in there to be a very good L2 player. He was at one point one of FGR's best players and was in the senior Wales squad.

Of the players contracted beyond this season we've got Macca, Waterfall, Morais, Rose, Williams, Wright, Gibson, Jackson Jr, LJL and Scannell. We can't pay them all off, surely? For me Scannell and Gibson have to go, absolute no brainers. Macca will be staying. Williams, as Ska said, is one you'd hope Hurst could turn around Nolan style. He's got the most talent out of that lot by a country mile. And out of the whole squad too. The difference with Nolan was that he got stuck in. As mentioned above Williams is weak in the tackle, I'd even go beyond that and say he's a girl private on the pitch. Whether that's a result of a major injury or what, I'm not sure. That could well be a factor in whether or not Hurst keeps him. But it's apparent that if Hurst can get a tune out of him we'll have one of the better attacking midfielders in the Conference (assuming we're down there).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
lee65
April 26, 2021, 10:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Probably incorrect spelling, but Laurens Tan Heuval was very poor as a striker  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
Swansea_Mariner
April 26, 2021, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Williams is basically the new Chris Llewellyn, he was an attacking midfielder had a championship career and bunch of Welsh caps too,  only 28 when he signed for us but absolute gash for town.

It doesn't matter what career a player had had before town only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch in a town shirt. Whatever is up with Williams he's not worth risking keeping on as the fact he can't breakthrough into this side tells me all I need to know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
Limerick Mariner
April 26, 2021, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from 140067

I think you'll find even Buckley thought Tony Caldwell was his worst signing, but a good bit of business as he swapped him for Scott Magarvey, then sold him to Stockport.

I would say that makes Caldwell a great signing - just as a way of getting rid of Scott McGarvey...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
aldi_01
April 26, 2021, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I appreciate Hessenthaler wasn’t that effective going forward but if Williams was the replacement we were well short changed.

There’s clearly a player in there but we’ve seen it for about 45 minutes all season.

Can we waste money paying him off or perhaps just off load him somewhere on loan and cut what we pay for his wages?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
wigworld
April 26, 2021, 6:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from grimsby pete

Was it him that showed his bottom to the Lincoln fans ?

Or was it someone else.

It was.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 55 - 79
Stew0_0
April 27, 2021, 8:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 35
Bit older for some of you kids but Michael Jeffrey was awful, mikael Antoine Curier, ben wright, Laurens Tens Heuvel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
cannylad68
April 27, 2021, 8:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Wasn't Scott McGarvey signed by Mick Lyons?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 79
April 27, 2021, 9:39am
Guest User
McGarvey was pre Buckley. I thought Bobby Roberts signed him.
Reply: 58 - 79
cannylad68
April 27, 2021, 10:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I'm pretty sure Mick Lyons signed Scott McGarvey together with Mick Hallsall.

I met Mick Hallsall whilst he was at Peterborough, even though he wasn't very popular at Grimsby, he had nothing but praise for the club, and enjoyed his short time here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst after match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.