TAGG
April 25, 2021, 6:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
Jamal Fyfield is the worst footballer I have seen in a Town shirt.

Tommy Forecast is by far the worst player I have ever seen in a Town shirt.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 79
fishboyUTM
April 25, 2021, 6:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from nightrider

To be fair Ive never given him a hard time because of his attitude, he gets stick from me because he's the worst player I've ever seen play for us - 30yrs. In the worst team.
I'm sure if I was picking up that sort of money for doing fack all, my attitude would be pretty good
Attitude? The man doesnt even look fit

He's superfit and meant to be a top professional. The only issue is he is 34 years old, it comes to us all. Look at recruitment and retainment. We let our outstanding players who are proven such as Charles Vernam, Jake Hessenthaler, Padraig Amond etc's contracts expire and we lose them. Yet we sign players like Green, the goals had dried up, he was 32 sitting on a National League teams bench and we go in with a two year contract. Madness, but Matt Green's fault it definitely is not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 79
Limerick Mariner
April 25, 2021, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Murray Jones probably the worst striker I’ve seen for town

One of the acquisitions based upon one good performance against us - for Exeter. Jimmy Gilligan was another. Had a great game for Watford in the Cup against us. Was utterly shite for us - worse than Murray Jones. To be fair we were Division 2 but I think I'd say Murray Jones was Buckley's worst signing rather than our worst ever striker.

As for Matt Green, I'd say there have been a good few worse. I agree he's been terrible value for the decent whack that he is on. Perhaps with the right partner upfront on a regular basis he may have been able to do a better job for us. I actually think he's a pretty good finisher, but certainly not the right player as a lone frontman.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 79
NorthLondonMariner
April 25, 2021, 6:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Poojah

Conlon and Sweeney weren’t bad players (Sweeney in particular was quite talented), they were just terrible professionals. That said, if we’re even just talking strikers, there’s no shortage of players who would be higher up the chart of talentless wasters than Matt Green.

Shaun Tuton, Damian Spencer, Serge Makofo, Tom Corner, Tomi Ameobi, Chris Llewelyn, Chris Jones, Ben Wright, Rob Duffy to name just a handful.

Add Anthony Elding to that list. Shite and a helmet to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 79
wigworld
April 25, 2021, 7:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

Add Anthony Elding to that list. Shite and a helmet to.

18 goals in 59 appearances. Not too shabby. May have been a helmet, no idea, but I don't recall any incident that made me think so.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 79
grimsby pete
April 25, 2021, 7:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from wigworld

18 goals in 59 appearances. Not too shabby. May have been a helmet, no idea, but I don't recall any incident that made me think so.

Was it him that showed his bottom to the Lincoln fans ?

Or was it someone else.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 79
moosey_club
April 25, 2021, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,321
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

To be fair we were Division 2 but I think I'd say Murray Jones was Buckley's worst signing rather than our worst ever striker.

Not a chance...Tony Caldwell....one of Buckleys early signings, played him once maybe twice...realised what a big mistake he had made and was never seen again.
Looked like he had just strolled into Blundell Park by mistake on his way to Sidney Park or Sussex Rec.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 79
April 25, 2021, 7:40pm
Guest User
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

One of the acquisitions based upon one good performance against us - for Exeter. Jimmy Gilligan was another. Had a great game for Watford in the Cup against us. Was utterly shite for us - worse than Murray Jones. To be fair we were Division 2 but I think I'd say Murray Jones was Buckley's worst signing rather than our worst ever striker.

As for Matt Green, I'd say there have been a good few worse. I agree he's been terrible value for the decent whack that he is on. Perhaps with the right partner upfront on a regular basis he may have been able to do a better job for us. I actually think he's a pretty good finisher, but certainly not the right player as a lone frontman.

I think you'll find even Buckley thought Tony Caldwell was his worst signing, but a good bit of business as he swapped him for Scott Magarvey, then sold him to Stockport.
Reply: 38 - 79
buckstown
April 25, 2021, 7:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Mark Nicholl by a distance.
We played Palace at home, they  had Mikkel Forsel and we had Nicholl, both on loan from Chelsea. One of them was a footballer, the other was a fraud. Guess which one we got. What a dog!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst after match

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.