HertsGTFC
April 2, 2021, 8:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from psgmariner
All that mattered when he arrived was our league position and that’s got much, much worse despite signing a brand new team. After his pathetic start, I kept being told to wait for him to sign new players, then wait for them all to gel etc. I’m sick of waiting.

If we finish bottom he simply cannot be allowed to continue.

Yes he’s working under the constraints that managing GTFC come with, but nobody mentions it being an impossible job when they look back at Holloway, slade, bignot etc. I’ve no idea why everyone cuts him so much slack. If it’s to do with getting us promoted all those years ago then that just sums up our backward looking fanbase!

It’s a result business and since he left Shrewsbury in 2018 his have been shocking!

I don’t think it’s about what he did when he was here previously but it has to be said in 50 years or so only 4 managers have won promotion whilst at Town.

I can’t speak for others and at times I think he’s made some iffy calls, all managers do that but he does really care, works hard and unlike those that followed him you can see how he’s trying to build a side, it’s clearly slow progress and will no doubt not be done in time to beat the drop, but it is what it is I guess.

The other thing that he deserves a bit of credit for is that generally players respect him and thus will play for him. A good example of this was Scott Neilson who looked like he fell out with Hurst and left under a cloud but I used to work with his cousin Danny who said that Scott really respected Hurst and liked him as he was always honest and fair with him.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
psgmariner
April 2, 2021, 9:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
If you have evidence previous managers didn’t really care, work hard or try build a side then yeah fully agree he’s an improvement. If you don’t then would rather look at results

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
ginnywings
April 2, 2021, 9:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Jason Stockwood likes Hursty and he will be here next season under Stockwood and Petit

So tell me guys, given that managerial appointments had always been high up on the criticism charts for John Fenty. Does this make Stockwood and Petit bad custodians straight away, if they don’t bring in a new manager and get rid of Hurst?

You can’t have it both ways. You cannot pick and choose how you pillory John but judge the newcomers differently for the same decisions. Not to mention the fact that the consortium were instrumental in Paul Hursts appointment

Asking for a friend

Appointing a manager isn't the end of it though. You then have to back them with a decent budget, coaching staff, analysts, training facilities and all the things other clubs seem to have and we lack.

Hurst was JF's best appointment but he lost him because he didn't back him in the EFL. We've been going down the pan ever since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
HertsGTFC
April 2, 2021, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from psgmariner
If you have evidence previous managers didn’t really care, work hard or try build a side then yeah fully agree he’s an improvement. If you don’t then would rather look at results

Well the last one f*****d off at the earliest opportunity rather than standing and fighting to reverse what he’d made such a balls up of, so on the caring point you don’t have to look that far back.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
moosey_club
April 2, 2021, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,324
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Jason Stockwood likes Hursty and he will be here next season under Stockwood and Petit

So tell me guys, given that managerial appointments had always been high up on the criticism charts for John Fenty. Does this make Stockwood and Petit bad custodians straight away, if they don’t bring in a new manager and get rid of Hurst?

You can’t have it both ways. You cannot pick and choose how you pillory John but judge the newcomers differently for the same decisions. Not to mention the fact that the consortium were instrumental in Paul Hursts appointment

Asking for a friend

So what you are saying is that JF, majority shareholder / chairman in all effectiveness.... allowed some tyre kickers to appoint a manager of his football club despite them not being board members ?  That just makes him sound even worse.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Neilo83
April 2, 2021, 10:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Gotta give him credit for perusing the signing of Giles coke too, he’s getting stronger every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Poojah
April 2, 2021, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,895
Gold Stars: 1,527
Quoted from Neilo83
Gotta give him credit for perusing the signing of Giles coke too, he’s getting stronger every game.

I think the fact that we signed two 30+ year old players from a mid-table National League North side and drastically improved our first eleven says a lot about the sheer calamity of the post-Covid Holloway era.

It’s almost as if he’d stopped caring for some reason...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
heppy88
April 2, 2021, 10:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from psgmariner

If we finish bottom he simply cannot be allowed to continue.

I don’t think you will have to worry. If Fenty stays in any meaningful capacity I think Hurst will walk and failing that Fenty will ensure Hurst is pushed. Hurst approached the consortium in the belief Fenty was going. Fenty being the child that he is won’t forgive Hurst for the manner he left the first time round. Unless Fenty goes Hurst won’t be staying much longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
forza ivano
April 2, 2021, 11:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from heppy88

I don’t think you will have to worry. If Fenty stays in any meaningful capacity I think Hurst will walk and failing that Fenty will ensure Hurst is pushed. Hurst approached the consortium in the belief Fenty was going. Fenty being the child that he is won’t forgive Hurst for the manner he left the first time round. Unless Fenty goes Hurst won’t be staying much longer.

i agree 100%. i've listened to an awful lot of his interviews, and i might be wrong, but he never mentions day or fenty.However he has on a number of occasions talked about the consortium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
HarrogateMariner
April 2, 2021, 11:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Just watched post match interview on I follow. JT asks Hurst about takeover right at the end. I think it is very clear that if the takeover doesn't happen Hurst will go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.