Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Bunney (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Joe Bunney (merged)

This thread currently has 16,115 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincspoacher
March 19, 2021, 8:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +302
Gold Stars: 15
Fingers crossed for him.

When I was a kid, I have vivid memories of the one player constantly booed at home was Bobby Mitchell.

I can remember one match at home when he was eventually subbed, the whole ground clapped an cheered!

Anyone else recall this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
louth_in_the_south
March 19, 2021, 8:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
That must be a terrible feeling. But i know if I was subjected to that I’d want to come out next game and show the ba.stards

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
bawarmy
March 19, 2021, 8:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Fingers crossed for him.

When I was a kid, I have vivid memories of the one player constantly booed at home was Bobby Mitchell.

I can remember one match at home when he was eventually subbed, the whole ground clapped an cheered!

Anyone else recall this?

I do and he was in a successful team. Just think if we wasn’t.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
bawarmy
March 19, 2021, 10:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,021
Gold Stars: 33
Just wondering, everyone is being nice about JB because of his problems that he is having. People admit that everyone was harsh on here and regret having a go and being nasty. Rightly so as there’s more important things in life than football.
What about John Fenty? He has had more abuse than anyone. I haven’t particularly been nice about him either but isn’t it wrong to be so horrible to him too? Just wondered what everyone thinks in these days of saying what you think on social media without a second thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
KingstonMariner
March 20, 2021, 12:08am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not everyone was being harsh about Bunney. And not everyone admits it.

As fir Fenty, I’ve not  seen anything over the top. Not aware of any trolling on Twitter etc. I also think expectations of reasonable behaviour are higher on municipal leaders and controllers of public institutions (especially when the person concerned fought hard to acheive that control). Different standard expected.

Also Bunney just didn’t do very well at his job, and as far as I’m aware did not behave in an unacceptable manner or hold himself up as better than everyone else.

Fenty by contrast made the infamous’my car cost a lot of money’ comment, participated if not led in a pub attempt to bully a journalist, and joined forces with a convicted fraudster and used his public office to introduce said fraudster to the council and public officials. His unacceptable behaviour has happened over a longer period of time.

So I’d say Fenty was judged rightly by a higher standard of behaviour and failed to fulfil that standard of behaviour to a far, far greater degree than Bunney.

So no, I don’t think Fenty has been treated unfairly. I won’t be wearing sackcloth and ashes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
buckstown
March 20, 2021, 11:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Fingers crossed for him.

Anyone else recall this?

I was there that night. Think it was Rotherham under Emlyn Hughes and they beat us about 4-1. Bobby Mitchell took a lot of stick in his time with us, but that night he gave the impression of jumping out of a couple of tackles and got battered by the crowd. I also seem to remember him flicking a couple of V's to the fans on his way off and he disappeared shortly after
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
March 20, 2021, 11:45am
Guest User
Quoted from buckstown

I was there that night. Think it was Rotherham under Emlyn Hughes and they beat us about 4-1. Bobby Mitchell took a lot of stick in his time with us, but that night he gave the impression of jumping out of a couple of tackles and got battered by the crowd. I also seem to remember him flicking a couple of V's to the fans on his way off and he disappeared shortly after

Remember Wymark bundling him out of the way to score when Mitchell couldn't get the ball out of his feet.That said, maybe he'd not go in for 50-50 tackles, but I rated him. Yes, though he did have a stinker that night. Played in a successful team.
Reply: 46 - 73
RonMariner
March 20, 2021, 12:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from chipsandgravy
The Barratt stand could be pretty brutal!

There was one guy in the Barretts who every week, regardless of who we were playing, would shout out in a loud and gruff voice 'You're bloody rubbish number three!'

He would occasionally vary this with 'You're bloody rubbish number seven!'.

Loudest voice ever. What a legend. anyone else remember him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2021, 12:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,019
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Fingers crossed for him.

Anyone else recall this?

George Kerr seemed to think he was good enough as part of a championship winning team, though I do recall when he was poor he was terrible but alongside Joe most Town players of that era would look average.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
RonMariner
March 20, 2021, 12:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Fingers crossed for him.

Anyone else recall this?

I remember it differently, or maybe it was a different game -  towards the end of the 1980 season- when he was subbed late on and Kerr told him to leave the pitch at the opposite side to the tunnel so that he had to walk the perimeter of the pitch.  He received standing ovations all the way in recognition of his contribution to the team that season. Must have been later on when he became a target of the boo boys.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Joe Bunney (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.