forza ivano
March 15, 2021, 8:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

Hard to disagree. But it would be a shame not to see players like Clifton and Wright come through. Khouri looked decent in the game he played. I thought Idehen looks promising too. If he had Pollock's composure and confidence, he'd be some player, but I guess he wouldn't be here in that case.

but Khouri, Pollock and Idehen are the examples i'd use, along with Bennett  & Burrell, to back up my argument, as they were 'rejects' from other clubs. Battersby would also fall into that category
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
ginnywings
March 15, 2021, 8:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Given the dearth of players that come through the ranks to the first team, maybe it would be better to follow the Brentford type models. If we do get the odd player that stands out from the rest of the group, they are usually snatched away by bigger clubs before they get the chance to make it to the first team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
Garth
March 15, 2021, 8:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know his Dad. GTFC through and through so Lincoln is not an option.

Really! My dad stopped me being a doctor cause he hated taken pills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
forza ivano
March 15, 2021, 8:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from forza ivano

but Khouri, Pollock and Idehen are the examples i'd use, along with Bennett  & Burrell, to back up my argument, as they were 'rejects' from other clubs. Battersby would also fall into that category

should also add in Akheem Rose .By the by, anyone else think he would have strengthened both of this season's squads?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 15, 2021, 9:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings
Given the dearth of players that come through the ranks to the first team, maybe it would be better to follow the Brentford type models. If we do get the odd player that stands out from the rest of the group, they are usually snatched away by bigger clubs before they get the chance to make it to the first team.

Think I made a very similar point a few years back. Basically the Academy system allows the top two leagues to cherry pick all the best players and in return have to make nominal up front payments so very little risk and the majority of these lads will probably never get near the respective first teams. There is always the odd one that contradicts this, Carlisle get £10k each time Henderson plays a first team game, but I suspect these are few and far between.

From a purely financial stand point I can’t see how it stacks up as a return on investment but pretty sure it’s a good community asset.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Grimal
March 15, 2021, 9:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I know his Dad. GTFC through and through so Lincoln is not an option.

Well that's a shame for the lad, he'll just have to go to Man united then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
jamesgtfc
March 16, 2021, 7:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,052
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano

Battersby was with our youth and went to Sheff Utd for a year or 2. When they released him, he came back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
March 16, 2021, 8:53am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from forza ivano

should also add in Akheem Rose .By the by, anyone else think he would have strengthened both of this season's squads?

No but he would have strengthened the list of injured players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
diehardmariner
March 16, 2021, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
When things like this happen and we'll get the inevitable peanuts, it's hard to argue against the Brentford model isn't it?

We're effectively getting paid to stockpile kids for the big teams, anyone with a smidgen of talent is hoovered up by the big clubs and we get a token transfer fee.

Sad reflection of the game.

On the Rose point, absolutely he would have benefited both squads this season.  I wasn't hugely impressed with him and felt he lacked basic footballing technical ability and intelligence at times, but christ almighty when you consider we've had Matt Green as either the main striker or an impact sub for most of this season....I know who I would have preferred.   I'd even have preferred Harry Cardwell too.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
KingstonMariner
March 16, 2021, 6:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm coming to the conclusion that it isn't worth having a youth set-up like we do. The top clubs can cherry pick the best talent for a pittance, in return for us getting a share of the grant from the PL. It basically bakes in the gap between rich and poor. There's no way for a small club to give itself a leg up by developing talent.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ben Grist

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.