DB
March 10, 2021, 8:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Rick12
Remember seeing him in a few games in the conference and looked good. Could be a confidence thing as is experiencing the weight of pressure from fans. He's only human and will be affected by things on and off the pitch.

Don't know how to tell you the blatant obvious but their aren't any in the grounds at the moment, and hasn't been all season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Rick12
March 10, 2021, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from DB

Don't know how to tell you the blatant obvious but their aren't any in the grounds at the moment, and hasn't been all season.
Players read social media though DB and I know this can affect some.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
DB
March 10, 2021, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

To be honest I really can't remember seeing us camped in our own area at all.  Yes they had created the chance that led to the saved header and followed up missed sitter, but if we throw on an extra defender every time a side creates a chance we'll soon have a 10-0-0 formation.

We were on top in that game for 85-90 minutes because we won our midfield battle.  Hurst got it right when he brought on Clifton for Lamy, shore it up in there and keep the battle going.  Clifton still offered a press which kept Carlisle reduced to long punts from deep which we dealt with relatively comfortably.  

Waterfall on for Morais meant we narrowed our midfield line, their fullbacks could push further forward to pump balls in.  In one move we gave them 15-20 yards ground straight away.

I've seen an awful lot about how most managers and teams bring on an extra centre-back, this is true.  But most teams aren't us.  The last thing we want to do at the minute is invite any sense of pressure because we can't handle it, we buckle.  Carlisle weren't putting us under pressure so why invite it in the first place?

You could see the lift it gave Carlisle when we brought Waterfall on and retreated 10 yards.  They responded and pushed forward.

If we had seen that game out, every one would have hailed Hurst has sensible and hailed the 1-0 gritty display with so many positives.  It's fine margins, but I think he got this one wrong.  Which is a bloody shame because everyone else was absolutely spot on last night.

The player himself, I'm sorry but that was simply a very poor mistake.  It was a lazy, sluggish, Sunday League attempt at defending.  What on earth he was thinking by trying to head it I don't know.  It would have been easier to stay still and let the ball gently hit him before launching it out.  

This may be slightly unfair but when Waterfall came on our defence went from looking solid and singing from the same hymn sheet to a shambles.  It's 2+2 but Waterfall has been a common theme in our back five looking all over the shop for the best part of a year now.  

I agree. Even their match commentators said something like the only way we might get something is if they bring on another defender.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
DB
March 10, 2021, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Players read social media though DB and I know this can affect some.

Good job they don't read reports on here about how crap some of them are at times, or they'd have to change their nappies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 10, 2021, 9:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Accept that Waterfall may have been better letting the ball hit him and clear rather than try and head it but after watching the goal a few times now I have to say that Hanson was a major factor as he made no effort to compete for the ball aerially and this allowed an easy flick on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Roast Em Bobby
March 10, 2021, 10:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner

To be honest I really can't remember seeing us camped in our own area at all.  Yes they had created the chance that led to the saved header and followed up missed sitter, but if we throw on an extra defender every time a side creates a chance we'll soon have a 10-0-0 formation.

We were on top in that game for 85-90 minutes because we won our midfield battle.  Hurst got it right when he brought on Clifton for Lamy, shore it up in there and keep the battle going.  Clifton still offered a press which kept Carlisle reduced to long punts from deep which we dealt with relatively comfortably.  

Waterfall on for Morais meant we narrowed our midfield line, their fullbacks could push further forward to pump balls in.  In one move we gave them 15-20 yards ground straight away.

I've seen an awful lot about how most managers and teams bring on an extra centre-back, this is true.  But most teams aren't us.  The last thing we want to do at the minute is invite any sense of pressure because we can't handle it, we buckle.  Carlisle weren't putting us under pressure so why invite it in the first place?

You could see the lift it gave Carlisle when we brought Waterfall on and retreated 10 yards.  They responded and pushed forward.

If we had seen that game out, every one would have hailed Hurst has sensible and hailed the 1-0 gritty display with so many positives.  It's fine margins, but I think he got this one wrong.  Which is a bloody shame because everyone else was absolutely spot on last night.

The player himself, I'm sorry but that was simply a very poor mistake.  It was a lazy, sluggish, Sunday League attempt at defending.  What on earth he was thinking by trying to head it I don't know.  It would have been easier to stay still and let the ball gently hit him before launching it out.  

This may be slightly unfair but when Waterfall came on our defence went from looking solid and singing from the same hymn sheet to a shambles.  It's 2+2 but Waterfall has been a common theme in our back five looking all over the shop for the best part of a year now.  

There was only about 1.5 minutes between Waterfall coming on and them scoring, so the impact of the changes to formation were zero. The truth is we were under the cosh before Waterfall came on. As has already been said, they skied a sitter minutes before, so to pretend we were crusing or changes in formation caused the goal is just wrong imho.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
NorfolkImp
March 10, 2021, 10:42am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Very harsh comments here regarding Agent Waterfall  

At 30yo, this warrior has form in captaining sides to titles in the 5th Tier, and could prove to be a valuable asset come the new campaign?

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
ginnywings
March 10, 2021, 10:44am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
It's the typical desperate last 5-10 minutes of a game when the home team throw caution to the wind and just start throwing balls into the box. You see it time and again. Sometimes they get a bounce of the ball that falls just right and someone gets in to score. You see injury time goals every weekend.

He could have left it as it was and we may have conceded 2 for all we know. Easy to manage tactics in hindsight.

It's taken a while, as I thought it would, but I think we are now a better side than the one Hollowords left. We look more organised and could quite easily have picked up a few more points than we have but things aren't quite going for us. Both FGR goals were fortunate on Saturday and the goal last night had an element of luck too. Bounced just right for them. Not to mention a goal we had disallowed for not much at all.

The small margins are going against us at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
Tommy
March 10, 2021, 10:45am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Just to correct a few people:

The Waterfall for Morais substitution was made BEFORE they had that chance where Eastwood saved it and their lad smacked it over from 5 yards out.

I maintain that while they were having a bit more possession, they weren't causing us problems or creating chances until we made that sub and made it easier for them to get higher up the pitch and put crosses in.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
DB
March 10, 2021, 10:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Very harsh comments here regarding Agent Waterfall  

At 30yo, this warrior has form in captaining sides to titles in the 5th Tier, and could prove to be a valuable asset come the new campaign?

But were battling to stay in this league

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Waterfall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.