Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer

Didn't know Liza had a tent  

😆

Had a touch of the Victoria Woods there. Millennium! There I said it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 10, 2021, 11:34am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from golfer

Didn't know Liza had a tent  

Yep. It can fit one Gest and is decorated with Garlands
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
pen penfras
February 10, 2021, 12:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

(1) new jobs during construction - and it won’t be just the ground as the surrounding area will need infrastructure work
(2) that infrastructure will bring additional benefits for the area the ground is in (on a bigger scale consider what the Minnellium Tent did for the Greenwich Penninsular)  
(3) the ground won’t be built in isolation, and there most likely will be other leisure facilities (gallery in the ice factory?)
(4) taken together, they will be mutually supporting to drive extra footfall in the area. Small artisanal businesses could thrive in what they’re calling ‘the Kasbah’. Especially food and drink producers and eateries.
If done well it could bring extra tourism, so genuinely new money to the area. Think of a mini-version of Liverpool.
Apart from potential economic benefits, if it means an area of the town is rundown and we get better facilities for the football it won’t be a bad thing.

The redevelopment of Liverpool One cost ÂŁ1 Billion. We aren't going to get anywhere near a substantial enough amount to do anything on that scale. The ground itself is probably more than the amount earmarked for a Town like ours in total right now.

We've got the same big problem that we've had since day 1 of a stadium being announced, whoever is running the show wants somebody else to pay for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
oochiad
February 10, 2021, 2:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Only focusing on staying in the league at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
DB
February 10, 2021, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.38
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from KingstonMariner

But Boris said towns like Grimsby won’t be left behind.

Boris says a lot of things, but wearing a Town hat might mean he favours us.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
GollyGTFC
February 11, 2021, 7:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
Quoted from pen penfras

How about because they want to use government funding to build the stadium, and there isn't any? I doubt it would qualify even if Covid hadn't happened, but the pot is empty now and will be much harder to get anything.

Even Freeman street which costs less and already has land owner and council backing is unlikely in the next 5 years.

As sombody who doesn’t live in Grimsby (and never has) can I just point out what a terrible location the Freeman Street site is.

And whereas the Ice House redevelopment and the necessary infrastructure work (access etc...) would be publicly funded, I haven’t seen one reference to the proposed new stadium at Fish Dock 3 being called a “Community Stadium” or Shutes (or his consortium) saying anything about finance coming from the public purse.

The stadium will be financed via a mortgage. Simple. It will be built to maximise revenue 365 days a year. Anyone who’s been to Chesterfield new ground might have noticed the gym built under one of the stands (generating rent) and PNE’s final new stand has an NHS walk-in centre built into it. Again generating a significant rent.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 45
Boris Johnson
February 11, 2021, 7:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from pen penfras

The redevelopment of Liverpool One cost ÂŁ1 Billion. We aren't going to get anywhere near a substantial enough amount to do anything on that scale. The ground itself is probably more than the amount earmarked for a Town like ours in total right now.

We've got the same big problem that we've had since day 1 of a stadium being announced, whoever is running the show wants somebody else to pay for it.

this is correct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
Tommy
February 11, 2021, 7:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Well we can't do worse than hiring Extreme Leisure can we

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 45
KingstonMariner
February 11, 2021, 11:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

Liverpool One was a purely private development by Grosvenor Estates.

I was talking about the earlier redevelopment around the docks including the Tate. This kick started the rebirth of Liverpool as a destination and helped encourage things like Liverpool One.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
pen penfras
February 11, 2021, 12:30pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GollyGTFC

As sombody who doesn’t live in Grimsby (and never has) can I just point out what a terrible location the Freeman Street site is.

And whereas the Ice House redevelopment and the necessary infrastructure work (access etc...) would be publicly funded, I haven’t seen one reference to the proposed new stadium at Fish Dock 3 being called a “Community Stadium” or Shutes (or his consortium) saying anything about finance coming from the public purse.

The stadium will be financed via a mortgage. Simple. It will be built to maximise revenue 365 days a year. Anyone who’s been to Chesterfield new ground might have noticed the gym built under one of the stands (generating rent) and PNE’s final new stand has an NHS walk-in centre built into it. Again generating a significant rent.

A community stadium were the exact words Shutes said in his interview and said they would be pursuing that idea regardless of whether they bought the football club.https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/tom-shutes-reveals-stunning-plan-4110684

Bulding a stadium on the docks is going to cost around ÂŁ40 million. No matter how optimistic you are about a 24/7 income stream, that's a lot of money to borrow and having to pay off. Can't see how any bank could justify that without a huge deposit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Big Reset

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.