5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2021, 8:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
After nigh on 2 decades of decline, penny pinching, horrifically poor decision making on managers/players and relegations the club's current "custodians" are on the brink of being ousted.
Hopefully within the next few weeks we will have 3 forward thinking, intelligent men taking over the reigns, moving the club from the time warp it's currently trapped into the  21st century.
Got me thinking, with our current league status far from secure what are our (fans) realistic hopes for this great club in the near, medium and long term future?
Suppose the club is about to go through The Big Reset.
Mine would be:
1) Stay in the league
2) Build on fan involvement.
3) New ground within 5-7 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
February 10, 2021, 9:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
No reason why the new stadium can’t be delivered quicker than that. The land is available and the deal is agreed in principle. Can’t see why it can’t be ready by August 2024.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 45
promotion plaice
February 10, 2021, 9:08am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,083
Gold Stars: 201

Let's just try and concentrate on staying in the league for now, the rest is for a later date.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
pen penfras
February 10, 2021, 9:29am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GollyGTFC
No reason why the new stadium can’t be delivered quicker than that. The land is available and the deal is agreed in principle. Can’t see why it can’t be ready by August 2024.

How about because they want to use government funding to build the stadium, and there isn't any? I doubt it would qualify even if Covid hadn't happened, but the pot is empty now and will be much harder to get anything.

Even Freeman street which costs less and already has land owner and council backing is unlikely in the next 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 9:43am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

How about because they want to use government funding to build the stadium, and there isn't any? I doubt it would qualify even if Covid hadn't happened, but the pot is empty now and will be much harder to get anything.

Even Freeman street which costs less and already has land owner and council backing is unlikely in the next 5 years.

But Boris said towns like Grimsby won’t be left behind.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
pen penfras
February 10, 2021, 9:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

But Boris said towns like Grimsby won’t be left behind.

That doesn't mean we'll pay for a football stadium so that a bunch of wealthy people can make some money at the value of their business increasing. It's hardly like it's going to create lots of jobs, so spending £30 million of public money seems a bit of a waste.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 10:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

That doesn't mean we'll pay for a football stadium so that a bunch of wealthy people can make some money at the value of their business increasing. It's hardly like it's going to create lots of jobs, so spending £30 million of public money seems a bit of a waste.

(1) new jobs during construction - and it won’t be just the ground as the surrounding area will need infrastructure work
(2) that infrastructure will bring additional benefits for the area the ground is in (on a bigger scale consider what the Minnellium Tent did for the Greenwich Penninsular)  
(3) the ground won’t be built in isolation, and there most likely will be other leisure facilities (gallery in the ice factory?)
(4) taken together, they will be mutually supporting to drive extra footfall in the area. Small artisanal businesses could thrive in what they’re calling ‘the Kasbah’. Especially food and drink producers and eateries.
If done well it could bring extra tourism, so genuinely new money to the area. Think of a mini-version of Liverpool.
Apart from potential economic benefits, if it means an area of the town is rundown and we get better facilities for the football it won’t be a bad thing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
Gaffer58
February 10, 2021, 10:36am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
At this moment in time I would rather bring in a centre forward who can get 20 goals by season end, I’m afraid non of the new owners are capable of doing that, scoring the goals obviously, it’s all about the here and now not what might happen in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
golfer
February 10, 2021, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from KingstonMariner

(1) new jobs during construction - and it won’t be just the ground as the surrounding area will need infrastructure work
(2) that infrastructure will bring additional benefits for the area the ground is in (on a bigger scale consider what the Minnellium Tent did for the Greenwich Penninsular)  
(3) the ground won’t be built in isolation, and there most likely will be other leisure facilities (gallery in the ice factory?)
(4) taken together, they will be mutually supporting to drive extra footfall in the area. Small artisanal businesses could thrive in what they’re calling ‘the Kasbah’. Especially food and drink producers and eateries.
If done well it could bring extra tourism, so genuinely new money to the area. Think of a mini-version of Liverpool.
Apart from potential economic benefits, if it means an area of the town is rundown and we get better facilities for the football it won’t be a bad thing.

Didn't know Liza had a tent  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Sorry, but new stadiums can be beset with problems and delays.

York City had funding approved in 2008 for a new 8,000 stadium.  Due to be ready 2012.

After many new unforeseen problems, as at Feb 21, they have still not played in it despite it being ready.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Big Reset

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.