Private Message
Morris Minor
February 9, 2021, 8:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
Now Stevenage takes the lead. Were all doomed I tell you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
GrimRob
February 9, 2021, 9:02pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 115
We're going to need a helping hand

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Et0Cm8LXcAEnLyA?format=png&name=small[/img]

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 62
MuddyWaters
February 9, 2021, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
We are where we deserve to be. Still on you Fenty.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 9:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,860
Gold Stars: 230
In my mind we were doomed when we allowed Stevenage to beat us. Like Scunny before them, beating us has kick started their survival and they are now picking up points and pulling away.

The Newport game confirmed it for me. They are urine poor and we let them beat us with 10 men. Southend have proved tonight what crap Newport are at the moment. They have won 2 out their last 12 games. Both against us. That's how crap we are.

Ok, so we have brought in some good new players. But the mountain gets steeper every week.

I just don't think we will pull it round in time.

Saturday will tell us whether we have any realistic chance of survival. Stevenage have just gone there and beaten them. Anything less than a win for us and I think we may as well forget it.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
DNMariner
February 9, 2021, 9:07pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
I find it utterly astounding that Holloway has the gall to go through with his move to the area; nothing more than an attention-seeking, self-serving charlatan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
LH
February 9, 2021, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Good day for you, John.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
GollyGTFC
February 9, 2021, 9:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,065
Gold Stars: 359
I remember Kelly Holmes being 7th (out of 8 runners) at the bell in the 2004 Olympics Games Women's 800m Final. She won gold. We might still win gold (finish 22nd)..
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 62
louth_in_the_south
February 9, 2021, 9:13pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
NL vote will save us . Don’t need any more points.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 9:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I remember Kelly Holmes being 7th (out of at the bell in the 2004 Olympics Games Women's 800m Final. She won gold. We might still win gold (finish 22nd)..

The difference is that she was the best runner in the field, not the worst, and was timing her run perfectly.

Where did the person who was 8th at the bell finish?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
Grantham_Mariner
February 9, 2021, 9:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
[img]https://jrsy.tmsimg.com/assets/p18072828_st_h6_aa.jpg[/img]

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
ginnywings
February 9, 2021, 9:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from RonMariner
In my mind we were doomed when we allowed Stevenage to beat us. Like Scunny before them, beating us has kick started their survival and they are now picking up points and pulling away.

The Newport game confirmed it for me. They are urine poor and we let them beat us with 10 men. Southend have proved tonight what crap Newport are at the moment. They have won 2 out their last 12 games. Both against us. That's how crap we are.

Ok, so we have brought in some good new players. But the mountain gets steeper every week.

I just don't think we will pull it round in time.

Saturday will tell us whether we have any realistic chance of survival. Stevenage have just gone there and beaten them. Anything less than a win for us and I think we may as well forget it.    

Stevenage were in good form before we played them. We didn't kick start their survival. They've won 6 games, 1 more than us, but most of them have come in the last couple of months. We can emulate them and have a decent run. Not saying we will, but it's a possibility, more so now with some better players in the squad.

Still too many games to write us off yet.

Yeah, I know before the naysayers jump all over my post; we are sh1te and have no chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 9:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
[img]https://jrsy.tmsimg.com/assets/p18072828_st_h6_aa.jpg[/img]

For Stevenage you mean?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
Hagrid
February 9, 2021, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,517
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from ginnywings

Stevenage were in good form before we played them. We didn't kick start their survival. They've won 6 games, 1 more than us, but most of them have come in the last couple of months. We can emulate them and have a decent run. Not saying we will, but it's a possibility, more so now with some better players in the squad.

Yeah, I know before the naysayers jump all over my post; we are sh1te and have no chance.

Admire your optimism but no goals, unable to keep clean sheets, rock bottom, rivals picking up points us not doing so, barrow having 2 in hand which would make the gap 8 points if im not mistaken if both won, nah. We’re down mate. john Fenty. Ian holloway. Hate the pair
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
GollyGTFC
February 9, 2021, 9:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

The difference is that she was the best runner in the field, not the worst, and was timing her run perfectly.

Where did the person who was 8th at the bell finish?

Won the Silver medal.

And 6th at the bell won bronze.

And 5th finished 4th.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 9:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Won the Silver medal.

And 5th finished 4th.

I see. So we are just lulling the 23 teams above us into a false sense of security and will storm through. To what? Are going to win the League, or just finish in the play offs? I feel sorry for those teams 30 points ahead of us. They are in for such a shock.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
sydney
February 9, 2021, 10:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Bad Night
Another nail
If Barrow pick up points with their games in hand it will almost be beyond us with our current form
I fully expect to lose again Sat
And we are very quickly running out of games
Very Sad Night / Time to be a GTFC fan
What a massive error IH was
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
forza ivano
February 9, 2021, 10:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings

i admire your optimism Ginny, but there is very little evidence, as regards Town, to back up your hope.
on the contrary there is plenty of evidence that we won't be turning it around.As i said in a previous post we are still making the same mistakes and have the same deficiencies as we had under Holloway . There has been absolutely zero sign of a new manager bounce, whilst all around us teams pick up points here and there.Even on Saturday we only played well for 45 minutes, then lost; 2months previously i seem to remember us having a good first 45 at Southend before going on to lose. the only thing that changes is our goal difference and league position, both for the worst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
RichMariner
February 9, 2021, 10:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
We've won 5 of 27 matches this season.

Forgetting what other teams are doing, we need to be looking at 46+ points to give ourselves a chance of staying up.

That means digging out 25 points from our remaining 19 games.

I reckon that's 7 wins, 4 draws and 8 defeats, as a rough estimate.

You're still relying on Southend, Barrow, Stevenage, etc, sustaining their current points-to-game ratios. The law of averages says one of those clubs, if not two, may increase their rate, however there's also one or two clubs that tend to lose form and fall into the relegation scrap (it looked like Harrogate a few weeks back but they've improved).

I'd say it's Mission Improbable now. But who knows what one win will do for confidence.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 9, 2021, 10:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Won the Silver medal.

And 5th finished 4th.

You are correct. Benhassi nearly caught Holmes too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2021, 10:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
If we where looking at someone else in our position, form, games played and goal difference we’d write that team off.

Add to that we’re a new side that’s not even quite through the forming stage never mind “storming, norming and performing” bit again you’d think we are doomed.

Indeed this time ladies and gents we are not and in reality never have been to good to go down, in fact we’ve just never been good enough.

Fenty, Day, Marley, Race horse trainer missing person bloke, Holloway you gave us fans one hell of a beating!!

On a serious note I’d be amazed if we got out of this.

On an ultra serious not if this effing takeover gets to complete those mentioned above should never be allowed near BP or anything to do with football ever again!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
ginnywings
February 9, 2021, 10:45pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

i admire your optimism Ginny, but there is very little evidence, as regards Town, to back up your hope.
on the contrary there is plenty of evidence that we won't be turning it around.As i said in a previous post we are still making the same mistakes and have the same deficiencies as we had under Holloway . There has been absolutely zero sign of a new manager bounce, whilst all around us teams pick up points here and there.Even on Saturday we only played well for 45 minutes, then lost; 2months previously i seem to remember us having a good first 45 at Southend before going on to lose. the only thing that changes is our goal difference and league position, both for the worst

People keep saying it's optimism on my part, but it's not. I'm as pessimistic as the next fan when it comes to GTFC.

I think the problem most fans have is that because it's been sh1t, they expect it to stay sh1t, and they also expect other teams that have been sh1t to suddenly buck that trend and start winning games left right and centre.

10 games ago, Stevenage had 2 wins and were deep in the mire. Since then, they have won 4, drawn 4 and lost 2. Do you think Stevenage fans thought they would be doing that? The same can be said for Southend and Barrow, in that most of their wins have been recent. We had our best run to date earlier in the season, so we are going backwards at the moment compared to those around us.

All the naysayers may well be right and we never get out of this mess, but there are far too many games to go yet to be as certain as some seem to be.

We are/have been dreadful, no getting away from that, but so are other sides in this league and they have managed to cobble together some results. I'm amazed that Southend won at Tranmere, but it also gives me hope.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 9, 2021, 11:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I remember Kelly Holmes being 7th (out of 8 runners) at the bell in the 2004 Olympics Games Women's 800m Final. She won gold. We might still win gold (finish 22nd)..

Mind you, the athlete who finished 7th is now dead and at least two of the others were caught doping (including the bronze medal winner).

Maybe doping is the answer.

Although knowing Town we’d accidentally order a load of oestrogen instead of testosterone.

I can just imagine our back four wandering around the pitch, doubled up with hot water bottles clutched to their bellies and crying because the vertical stripes are making them look fat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 11:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

People keep saying it's optimism on my part, but it's not. I'm as pessimistic as the next fan when it comes to GTFC.

I think the problem most fans have is that because it's been sh1t, they expect it to stay sh1t, and they also expect other teams that have been sh1t to suddenly buck that trend and start winning games left right and centre.

10 games ago, Stevenage had 2 wins and were deep in the mire. Since then, they have won 4, drawn 4 and lost 2. Do you think Stevenage fans thought they would be doing that? The same can be said for Southend and Barrow, in that most of their wins have been recent. We had our best run to date earlier in the season, so we are going backwards at the moment compared to those around us.

All the naysayers may well be right and we never get out of this mess, but there are far too many games to go yet to be as certain as some seem to be.

We are/have been dreadful, no getting away from that, but so are other sides in this league and they have managed to cobble together some results. I'm amazed that Southend won at Tranmere, but it also gives me hope.

It's the fact that Southend and Stevenage's form improvement is recent that is the problem. It makes our tasks in overtaking them that much more difficult. They have already turned things round. We have yet to do so, and when we do we have to have better form than they are showing.  

Personally I doubt we will catch Stevenage. So I think its just Barrow and Southend in the mire with us and we will need to finish above them both.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
RonMariner
February 9, 2021, 11:44pm

Special Brew Drinker

Mind you, the athlete who finished 7th is now dead and at least two of the others were caught doping (including the bronze medal winner).

Although knowing Town we’d accidentally order a load of oestrogen instead of testosterone.

I can just imagine our back four wandering around the pitch, doubled up with hot water bottles clutched to their bellies and crying because the vertical stripes are making them look fat.

I am willing to clutch at any straw, but looking to an old 800m race as evidence that we can survive is pushing it even for me.

Didn't some bloke fall out of a plane an survive once? There you go. Maybe we will be like him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 1:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Fenty would never sanction the purchase of testosterone.

Not when he's got a job lot of hake testes in storage.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
We're exactly where I thought we'd be this month.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
Boris Johnson
February 10, 2021, 1:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
The Fat Lady hasnt quite broken into song, but she has certainly done the soundcheck
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 1:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
it's never over till the maths say so.
A win on Saturday and the revival starts
When your bottom the only way is up
It can't get any worse
The fight back starts now
It's our turn for a decent run
National League made null and void
In the fans football court fenty and holloway and found guilty of mismanagement and banned from the game for life.
Del boy said tomorrow we'll be millionaires, and tomorrow Town will be top (or survive at least)
HOPE, Bob Hopes dead, we are in no hope but tomorrow their is some HOPE

Trying to be positive

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
GollyGTFC
February 10, 2021, 9:11am

Whiskey Drinker

You are correct. Benhassi nearly caught Holmes too

It’s the 800m. Not the 801m.

Actually the bronze medal winner was finishing fastest and would have probably taken it if it was 801m.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 9:41am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DB
it's never over till the maths say so.
A win on Saturday and the revival starts
When your bottom the only way is up
It can't get any worse
The fight back starts now
It's our turn for a decent run
National League made null and void
In the fans football court fenty and holloway and found guilty of mismanagement and banned from the game for life.
Del boy said tomorrow we'll be millionaires, and tomorrow Town will be top (or survive at least)
HOPE, Bob Hopes dead, we are in no hope but tomorrow their is some HOPE

Trying to be positive

Do you have a tune in mind for that?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
grimsby pete
February 10, 2021, 10:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Feel good factor will be here on Saturday when Barrow and Southend lose and we win.

We are out the bottom two and start our climb up the table.

Maybe not too high but at least out the bottom two.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2021, 10:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I don’t care what other sides do. If we win games we will be OK. If we score goals we will win games. It’s as simple as that. Sod the rest of them, get the ball in the bloody net.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
diehardmariner
February 10, 2021, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
No-one wants to be the one that's propping everyone else up but this was always going to happen and we couldn't keep expecting sides to not pick up some points.

But it changes nothing in my mind.  Bottom, second bottom, even if we were third bottom, the objective remains the same.  Come the end of the 46th game we need to have picked up enough points to better those around us, ultimately to the point that we have more points that at least two other sides.  Simple fact is we need to start picking up points ourselves asap, ideally in the form of a flurry of 3 point hauls.

It's almost a cruel twist of fate that it's now likely the takeover will be completed as Town sit at the bottom of the pile, in the same week that John Fenty is forced to not stand for re-election, it's a wonderful nod to what he's achieved.  

Still think we'll be ok, but this definitely marks the rock bottom, only way is up approach from here on.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Do you have a tune in mind for that?

No tune but:-

Always look on the brightside of life   Monty Python

The only way is up   Yazz

You'll never walk alone  Gerry M

Care to add any?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
smokey111
February 10, 2021, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Faith   George Michael

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
Biccys
February 10, 2021, 1:36pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from diehardmariner
No-one wants to be the one that's propping everyone else up but this was always going to happen and we couldn't keep expecting sides to not pick up some points.

But it changes nothing in my mind.  Bottom, second bottom, even if we were third bottom, the objective remains the same.  Come the end of the 46th game we need to have picked up enough points to better those around us, ultimately to the point that we have more points that at least two other sides.  Simple fact is we need to start picking up points ourselves asap, ideally in the form of a flurry of 3 point hauls.

It's almost a cruel twist of fate that it's now likely the takeover will be completed as Town sit at the bottom of the pile
, in the same week that John Fenty is forced to not stand for re-election, it's a wonderful nod to what he's achieved.  

Still think we'll be ok, but this definitely marks the rock bottom, only way is up approach from here on.  

Yes but think of the story in 10 years time when we qualify for the Champions League knockout stages.
The consortium took us from plum last in the league to there in quick time!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 62
bobbyturtle
February 10, 2021, 1:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from DB

No tune but:-

Always look on the brightside of life   Monty Python

The only way is up   Yazz

You'll never walk alone  Gerry M

Care to add any?

Another on bites the dust - Queen

it could work on two levels,
w
if we go down
or
when we start to win a game

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
RonMariner
February 10, 2021, 2:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
So long as it's not.....

Tragedy - the Bee Gees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
RonMariner
February 10, 2021, 2:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Or

I'm Down - the Beatles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
RonMariner
February 10, 2021, 2:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Or, for guitar enthusiasts:-

Down, Down, Down - Joe Satriani.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
up up and away    5th Dimention

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Zmariner
February 10, 2021, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
I agree  this is oh dear but and I hope to be quoted on this later on  ,I have some faith in Paul Hurst
This approach is very iterative and step-by-step you improve but the anus predecessor left one of the biggest messesthat we have ever been in
I firmly believe that once we get off the mark we will have a decent run, whether this will be on time or not is debatable but I truly believe the team is improving And I genuinely believe that we will go on a decent run of results. Paul Hurst approach to management was always a bit of a slow burner but we always hit the play-offs which was about where our budget was.
I have not thrown in the towel at all and I also think that in this division the margins between the better and the worst teams are not so great and so playing the better teams is not quite as bad as it sounds
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
I agree  this is oh dear but and I hope to be quoted on this later on  ,I have some faith in Paul Hurst
This approach is very iterative and step-by-step you improve but the anus predecessor left one of the biggest messesthat we have ever been in
I firmly believe that once we get off the mark we will have a decent run, whether this will be on time or not is debatable but I truly believe the team is improving And I genuinely believe that we will go on a decent run of results. Paul Hurst approach to management was always a bit of a slow burner but we always hit the play-offs which was about where our budget was.
I have not thrown in the towel at all and I also think that in this division the margins between the better and the worst teams are not so great and so playing the better teams is not quite as bad as it sounds
Utm

Good to read a positive post

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Bigdog
February 10, 2021, 3:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Being bottom of the whole EFL would be hugely symbolic of Fenty's reign at GTFC if the takeover goes through within the next couple of days..

Championship to bottom of the league..Desperate need of a new stadium, desperate need of new training facilities, desperate need of modernisation throughout the club, desperate need to rebuild the brand image of GTFC, desperate need to rebuild the first team squad and desperate need of a decent playing surface at BP..

Bravo John, bravo..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
grimsby pete
February 10, 2021, 4:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
We get knocked down but we get up again you will never keep us down.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2021, 4:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Down Down Status Quo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2021, 4:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,063
Or as our defence should sing  Roll Over Lay Down and Let Them In
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
RichMariner
February 10, 2021, 4:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,164
Gold Stars: 211
Took us from Championship to non-league. That, by anyone's standards, is an appalling record to have.

But the story doesn't even end there.

After fighting to get out of non-league for six years, we look like going back there again.

Perhaps we should remember John Fenty for these words of wisdom he spoke after Jolley left the club:

"But, when all's said and done, success generally comes very quickly—if it’s going to come."

Like he'd know what football success looks like. Nearly two decades of abject failure. But I do agree that there is some poetry in him leaving us rock bottom. Means the consortium barely need to lift a finger to surpass his achievements.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
ginnywings
February 10, 2021, 4:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from RichMariner
Took us from Championship to non-league. That, by anyone's standards, is an appalling record to have.

After fighting to get out of non-league for six years, we look like going back there again.

Perhaps we should remember John Fenty for these words of wisdom he spoke after Jolley left the club:

"But, when all's said and done, success generally comes very quickly—if it’s going to come."

Like he'd know what football success looks like. Nearly two decades of abject failure. But I do agree that there is some poetry in him leaving us rock bottom. Means the consortium barely need to lift a finger to surpass his achievements.

Or when we appointed Jolley and the club statement ended:

"We are confident the good times are just around the corner"

Still waiting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
arryarryarry
February 10, 2021, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Zmariner
Utm

I am curious to know in what way you think we are improving, do you base it on the first 45 minutes against a poor Newport team because games last 90 minutes or more and in the second half I thought we were pretty poor and suffered our two main problems, one, we didn't really trouble their 10 men and look like scoring and two, a defensive error led to their goal and another by Clifton nearly led to a second for them.

In Paul Hurst's 6 games in charge we have lost 5, drawn 1, scored 2 goals, conceded 10 and achieved 1 point.

In Holloway's last 6 games in charge we have lost 4, won 1, drawn 1, scored 5 goals and conceded 10 and achieved 4 points.

So in terms of points won there is no actual improvement in fact we are worse off.

We haven't got time for Paul Hurst to be a slow burner, we need to start winning now starting against Tranmere.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2021, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Some football teams are said to be too good to go down - and promptly get relegated.  This happens mainly in the Prem.

Town are clearly too bad to stay up.  Even our GD is horrendous.

Using reverse psychology, could it be that we will not follow the established collective wisdom - and actually stay up?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2021, 5:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am curious to know in what way you think we are improving, do you base it on the first 45 minutes against a poor Newport team because games last 90 minutes or more and in the second half I thought we were pretty poor and suffered our two main problems, one, we didn't really trouble their 10 men and look like scoring and two, a defensive error led to their goal and another by Clifton nearly led to a second for them.

In Paul Hurst's 6 games in charge we have lost 5, drawn 1, scored 2 goals, conceded 10 and acheived 1 point.

In Holloway's last 6 games in charge we have lost 4, won 1, drawn 1, scored 5 goals and conceded 10 and achieved 4 points.

So in terms of points won there is no actual improvement in fact we are worse off.

We haven't got time for Paul Hurst to be a slow burner, we need to start winning now starting against Tranmere.

Again, comparing apples with oranges!..as Jordan would say...

Let's do a comparison over 20 games for both manager's, not bloody 6!..

There's no doubting the squad that Hurst has assembled is stronger than the shower Holloway cobbled together.

If we get to the end of the season and Hurst has scrambled less points than Kn@b jockey did in the first half of the season, then and only then will I say Hurst was a bad appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
arryarryarry
February 10, 2021, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Again, comparing apples with oranges!..as Jordan would say...

Let's do a comparison over 20 games for both manager's, not bloody 6!..

There's no doubting the squad that Hurst has assembled is stronger than the shower Holloway cobbled together.

If we get to the end of the season and Hurst has scrambled less points than Kn@b jockey did in the first half of the season, then and only then will I say Hurst was a bad appointment.

Doh, I was only pointing out that we haven't actually improved where a previous poster thought we had.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Doh, I was only pointing out that we haven't actually improved where a previous poster thought we had.

On a slightly different vein we have improved enormously. Holloways gone and Fenty's hours are numbered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
ginnywings
February 10, 2021, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Can we at least concede that performances have improved, if not results as yet?

I think we have improved in that respect and we have some better players undoubtedly.

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.

At least we haven't got Green and Jackson up front anymore. We were never going anywhere with those two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think we have improved in that respect and we have some better players undoubtedly.

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.

At least we haven't got Green and Jackson up front anymore. We were never going anywhere with those two.

I would like to think that. 2nd half Cambridge match showed a distinct improvement on the first half and you have some hope. Up to the sending off at Newport we started to look something in the rough, again an improvement on the previous week. 2nd half  Newport enough said already.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2021, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but [b]until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.[/b]

Exactly. It does not matter one iota whether we play like Brazil or Rovers Return Sunday side. I hope they have been working on set pieces. Anything to get goals.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 11:46pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

That begs the question “if you really believe that John, why the fcuk are you still here after 18 years of failure?”

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
DB
February 11, 2021, 12:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That begs the question “if you really believe that John, why the fcuk are you still here after 18 years of failure?”

Because he took lessons from the same bullsh!t school as oloway

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
Boris Johnson
February 11, 2021, 2:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

?

admittedly the bulk of the squad wasnt assembled until the end of the window, but there is no evidence to suggest that its stronger..

only time will tell.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Northbank Mariner
February 11, 2021, 6:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Boris Johnson

?

admittedly the bulk of the squad wasnt assembled until the end of the window, but there is no evidence to suggest that its stronger..

only time will tell.  

Do you know, I can't even be ar£ed to argue with you, open you're eyes, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how the players Hurst signed are an improvement on Holloway's bundle of dog turd.
Whether they are good enough or can build enough relationships to stave off relegation in double quick time will be the proof in the pudding
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
smokey111
February 11, 2021, 7:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Boris Johnson

?

only time will tell.  

FFS

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › O dear

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.