14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
February 1, 2021, 10:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,212
Gold Stars: 33
Whether fans agree with the way that Paul Hurst has acted in the last few weeks with players coming in, he has taken on another rescue job, and that will be a success if we finish third from bottom, or anywhere above, at the end of this season.

Limited funds, midway through a potential club buyout and takeover with no guarantee of  assistance from above, lousy pitch conditions, Covid restrictions, loads of periphery players who don't seem to be grafting for 90 minutes, some whose form has dipped so low that they are making glaring errors - so who would come back to take on the mess that Hideway has left us in ???

PAUL HURST !! A manager who has been here before, knows how fickle that the fans have been towards him and Diog, yet has still come back to do his best to complete a rescue project !

It will probably be 3 to 4 weeks for all of the new players to get to grips with how he wants them to play, precious time that we really don't have, but look at our neighbours next door, three quick wins and now 14th in the table. Scrappy 1-0 wins will do for me if it drags us up the table.

I wish you luck, Paul Hurst, and hope that you can work your rescue plan to keep us up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 134
pontoonlew
February 1, 2021, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from mariner91

Give over, you reckon someone who's bang in form or not had injury problems would be looking to drop down to the foot of L2 to a club with the well publicised problems that we've had? Good strikers are always hard to come by and any of them who have other options right now will probably not come to us because who is going to want a relegation to non-league on their CV? Not to mention we create virtually nothing and have one of the lowest "Goals For" columns in the FL. Not to mention we're in the middle of a national lockdown due to a global pandemic so location is more of a factor than normal. Who'd want to move to a club potentially a long way from their family when they won't be able to travel much and see them, which isn't scoring very many, has a distinct possibility of being relegated out of the FL and has a reputation for treating players like dirt? Hardly an attractive proposition.

It's not saying that we will never sign a good player again. Once the stench of the current regime is gone and if we maintain our league status then of course we should be looking for better players than Lennie ideally. But right now the choice is almost certainly limited to players who are either inexperienced, out of form or not fully fit. We've already got three inexperienced players who will probably contribute very little between them and it's often difficult to judge whether a youngster will have the guts for a relegation scrap. We've got two expensive has-beens although Hanson if he maintains some sort of fitness will give us something at least but Green is beyond useless. And we've signed Payne who is a very good player but is coming back from injury problems. If he stays fit then he's a fantastic addition but there is a risk he might not. Clearly Hurst has decided to go with a player he knows and trusts, who will do a job and make a nuisance of himself. Is he brilliant? No. Will he miss some sitters? Probably. But we know what we'll get out of him and he's better than all but one of the options we currently have and is likely less of a gamble than some of the other options Hurst had.

I honestly do not have a clue where this narrative comes from that people are wanting people 'bang in form' and banging goals in before they get here. I've never seen anybody say that in this window.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 134
diehardmariner
February 1, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,718
Gold Stars: 543
It's this simple for me - I'd rather him have at the minute than Green, Jackson, Gibson and Sissay.

I think Jackson and Gibson might have something about them with a bit of coaching and developing and if we reach end of March and we're safe, then let's try that.  But otherwise we're down to Hanson who looked dead on his feet after 70 minutes (plus is made of glass) and Payne who is coming back from a year with limited game time.  Decent pairing on paper but can't rely on them solely, especially with fitness issues.

We were never going to sign a superstar.  LJL is an alternative option and is better than the guys who were previously 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th choice respectively.

1% improvement here.  1% there.  It all adds up.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 134
essexexile
February 1, 2021, 11:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +186
Gold Stars: 1
Just need Rodman now to complete the trio
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 134
Kris2
February 1, 2021, 11:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from essexexile

Pretty much a case of waiting to see if Bristol Rovers get their targets so they can offload a few players to off set it.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 134
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2021, 11:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from essexexile

That would be a good addition in terms of attacking options.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 134
RonMariner
February 1, 2021, 11:50am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,865
Gold Stars: 231
Given the fitness issues regarding Payne and Hanson this is a very good signing. Neither of them is fit enough to play a full 90 at the moment, so I imagine it will be Shop and Hanson to start on Saturday, and then Payne replacing Hanson for the last half an hour.

That is a better combination up front than we have had for quite some time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 134
ska face
February 1, 2021, 11:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
My overriding memory of LJL is him being positioned at the front post when defending every corner and invariably getting a decent clearance in. We know how Hurst likes to set up, in being hard to beat and the forwards contributing to that, so finding a striker in decent form and telling them one of their main jobs will be to defend isn’t a particularly easy sell.

If we’ve got another outlet up top alongside him, Payne or Hanson, I reckon we’ll do alright and he’ll come into his own.
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 134
immariner
February 1, 2021, 12:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
I'm not unhappy. I am a bit surprised it isn't just until the end of the season. That said, will he be an improvement on Gibson and Jackson who are also contracted for next season? I'd say so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 134
headingly_mariner
February 1, 2021, 12:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from ska face
My overriding memory of LJL is him being positioned at the front post when defending every corner and invariably getting a decent clearance in. We know how Hurst likes to set up, in being hard to beat and the forwards contributing to that, so finding a striker in decent form and telling them one of their main jobs will be to defend isn’t a particularly easy sell.

If we’ve got another outlet up top alongside him, Payne or Hanson, I reckon we’ll do alright and he’ll come into his own.

Agree with that, Payne and Hanson have the quality to do the damage. They will spend more time in the positions to do that if Lenny is doing the leg work.

Payne got 20 minutes on Saturday and put himself in positions to get a shot off. We haven’t scored many this season, but we definitely haven’t had many cool finishes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LJL has signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.