pontoonlew
February 1, 2021, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from mariner91
If he's fit enough, and being the second top scorer in his division whilst playing for a mid table team would suggest he is, then he's an improvement on what we've got. We're a relegation threatened club at the foot of L2 in the arse-end of nowhere with a reputation for being a basket case where you won't be looked after which has been earned over the last 15 calamitous years. We are not an attractive proposition for a striker who's banging them in in the FL. LJL will give us a lot of work, he'll make it more difficult for the opposing team's defenders and occupy space hopefully allowing the likes of Payne, Matete and Idris to get beyond the defence and create stuff. Welcome back Lennie, all I ask is you give us your all and I don't doubt you will.

Can we stop using this garbage excuse please, some fantastic players have graced us previously and will do again, let's not be so accepting that it 'could never be us' and have a bit of pride.

As for LJL, whilst I feel his previous time with us is greatly overhyped and I'm really skeptical, he'll get the same support from me as any other player and I beg this is a masterstroke, because god knows we need it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 134
Grimal
February 1, 2021, 10:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Love this guys work rate, always gives 100%, Welcome back Lennie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 134
Stew0_0
February 1, 2021, 10:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
I think this could arguably be the best signing of the window so far.

He's seemingly back to full fitness and form as he's been in the Hereford team every week and banging the goals in.
For me the most important thing is that the ball will stick up front. He's strong, defenders bounce off him, he's good in the air and with Matete and El Mizouni then able to run in beyond him means we can finally get in behind defences rather than trying to make something happen with defenders in our faces.

Am really happy with this and know he will give everything to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 134
Croxton
February 1, 2021, 10:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,019
Gold Stars: 35
is this true?  Not on OS

Must be, it's in the Telewag!  As you say, not on OS at mo. Perhaps reshaping the storyline or summat.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 134
Mayaman
February 1, 2021, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from realist

I hope you are right but my opinion remains that Hurst and all his ex players are not what we need.  We need negativity. Being positive about being one of the worst teams in the FL is one of the reasons we are in this position. The happy clappers will eventually kill this club.
I think a goalkeeping should be top of the shopping list but no sign of anything happening on that front.

What do you mean by 'we need negativity'?  I don't think any club achieved anything by being negative.  You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and a female pigs hearing organ is what we've been left with.  You may as well  pack it in and we shouldn't have a football league because the sun will explode at some point.  BTW, we have a goalie on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 134
ginnywings
February 1, 2021, 10:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
is this true?  Not on OS

It was, then it was taken down. Picture of him holding the shirt and an interview, so unless it's some massive practical joke, he's signed.

Think someone may have got itchy trigger finger.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 134
mariner91
February 1, 2021, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from pontoonlew

Can we stop using this garbage excuse please, some fantastic players have graced us previously and will do again, let's not be so accepting that it 'could never be us' and have a bit of pride.

As for LJL, whilst I feel his previous time with us is greatly overhyped and I'm really skeptical, he'll get the same support from me as any other player and I beg this is a masterstroke, because god knows we need it.

Give over, you reckon someone who's bang in form or not had injury problems would be looking to drop down to the foot of L2 to a club with the well publicised problems that we've had? Good strikers are always hard to come by and any of them who have other options right now will probably not come to us because who is going to want a relegation to non-league on their CV? Not to mention we create virtually nothing and have one of the lowest "Goals For" columns in the FL. Not to mention we're in the middle of a national lockdown due to a global pandemic so location is more of a factor than normal. Who'd want to move to a club potentially a long way from their family when they won't be able to travel much and see them, which isn't scoring very many, has a distinct possibility of being relegated out of the FL and has a reputation for treating players like dirt? Hardly an attractive proposition.

It's not saying that we will never sign a good player again. Once the stench of the current regime is gone and if we maintain our league status then of course we should be looking for better players than Lennie ideally. But right now the choice is almost certainly limited to players who are either inexperienced, out of form or not fully fit. We've already got three inexperienced players who will probably contribute very little between them and it's often difficult to judge whether a youngster will have the guts for a relegation scrap. We've got two expensive has-beens although Hanson if he maintains some sort of fitness will give us something at least but Green is beyond useless. And we've signed Payne who is a very good player but is coming back from injury problems. If he stays fit then he's a fantastic addition but there is a risk he might not. Clearly Hurst has decided to go with a player he knows and trusts, who will do a job and make a nuisance of himself. Is he brilliant? No. Will he miss some sitters? Probably. But we know what we'll get out of him and he's better than all but one of the options we currently have and is likely less of a gamble than some of the other options Hurst had.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 134
Southwark Mariner
February 1, 2021, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 134
MarinerWY
February 1, 2021, 10:21am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,992
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from pontoonlew

Its not a garbage excuse at all. Have you seen our league position? Our form? The pandemic we are currently in?

Being able to attract decent players in the past is irrelevant, the parameters now mean it is undoubtedly going to be hard to attract fantastic players. Asking someone to uproot and move mid-pandemic on a short term contract with the very real prospect of non-league next season is not an attractive offer, and certainly wont attract the pick of better players.

I mean, I wouldn't take a job miles away if I thought the company was on it's way down unless I was out of work or it was still a big step up for me personally (for example, conference north to league 2...)
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 134
AdamHaddock
February 1, 2021, 10:29am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,841
Gold Stars: 26
I'm not normally one for bringing back ex-players but we're crying out for some presence and goal threat up front. Hopefully he and Payne can click.

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › LJL has signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.