Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › As we are near certainties for relegation.?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 252 Guests

As we are near certainties for relegation.?

This thread currently has 6,952 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 9, 2021, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,782
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from heppy88

Surely not? Second home? Nobody can go to a second home in lockdown. Surely he has to stay at his Grimsby residence?

I did not know he had a Liverpool connection, but I think it was Ska who mentioned it. I will just ring the police to get them to check it out...just as a concerned resident  
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
DB
January 9, 2021, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.39
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
I'm normally an optimist but saw little, if any, hope in todays game. Couldn't call it a performance because nobody performed, they just turned up.

The only positive I heard was that we were poor in the 1st third, poor in the last third which left the middle third. There are no goal posts in the middle third but I suppose it is a positive.

I expected more from them following the second half last week against Cambridge but it was dire. Still the past is the past and next Saturday is another match and all we can do is hope for something better from them. Grasping at straws maybe, but we can live in hope for the future.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
DB
January 9, 2021, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I did not know he had a Liverpool connection, but I think it was Ska who mentioned it. I will just ring the police to get them to check it out...just as a concerned resident  

Don't the people building on the Pleasure Island site have some connection with Liverpool ?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
hampshiremariner
January 9, 2021, 10:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
One thing you can all do is vote JF off the Council.
It is hard to be optimistic when we have all been through this suffering for years and it is now the status quo. The club has been festering for years and Paul Hurst has an almighty task on his hands.
We used to look down on Lincoln but they are top of L1 and are rebuilding Sincil Bank. They have left us behind.
It is not all about money either. Ipswich have had £100 million pumped into transfers over the last decade by their owner and they are nowhere. Swindon made them look really poor and they started the game on just 17 points. It is about skilful management and honesty. If I won the lottery I honestly would give the club money. It is my club but supporting it is like scratching your body with nails.
Let's hope the new people are able to guide the club better and Hursty can get us out of this. Another 30 points at least needed.
What happened before Christmas is very, very hard to take. How I hate politics and politicians. They lie and lie and it is all about themselves. Disgraceful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 6:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
If we had to rely on the current squad I would say yes, we are near certainties for relegation.

However, with new owners presumably willing to invest serious funds then it is possible for us to escape.

It will not be easy, and it is by no means a given, but we do have a chance of staying up if we can bring in 6 or 7 new faces.

If the worst happens and we do go down then at least with Mr Scrooge gone, I have faith in the new owners to fund a new team that will get us out of the Conference speedily. I think they are sensible enough to know that you gets what you pay for in football. If you want success you have to pay for it. It's called investment. Simply hoping for 'football fortune' can leave you stranded in the quagmire for years and years and years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
DB
January 11, 2021, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
If we had to rely on the current squad I would say yes, we are near certainties for relegation.

However, with new owners presumably willing to invest serious funds then it is possible for us to escape.

It will not be easy, and it is by no means a given, but we do have a chance of staying up if we can bring in 6 or 7 new faces.

If the worst happens and we do go down then at least with Mr Scrooge gone, I have faith in the new owners to fund a new team that will get us out of the Conference speedily. I think they are sensible enough to know that you gets what you pay for in football. If you want success you have to pay for it. It's called investment. Simply hoping for 'football fortune' can leave you stranded in the quagmire for years and years and years.  

I sincerely hope your are right Ron. Our only saving grace in the 23 matches left to scrape some points from and keep us up

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
arryarryarry
January 11, 2021, 6:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

We hadn't won for what felt like a century under Slade, then Wilko.

We probably did have a better side then in all probability, but we had less time, a less experienced manager and no window. This situation isn't as bad as that in my opinion.

Even when we went down in 2010, we took it to the last game. People having us relegated already this season is way too premature.

Some of us said before Woods was given the manager's job  full-time he would take us down, so not that unrealistic to be thinking something similar now.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
IlkleyMariner
January 11, 2021, 6:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from arryarryarry

Some of us said before Woods was given the manager's job  full-time he would take us down, so not that unrealistic to be thinking something similar now.

I like Neil Woods, but he’s not on the same level as PH

Paul is not overly charismatic, but he is a good judge of players and knows how to manage a workmanlike squad.

Don’t think we will go down, but don’t expect it to be pretty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
RonMariner
January 11, 2021, 10:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,863
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was one of them. It was clear from the outset that he was out of his depth. Was it 25 games we went without a win? Throwing a totally inexperienced manager into a relegation dog fight was madness.

The situation now is different. We have a manager who has saved a club from near certain relegation from L1 and got them into the playoffs the following season. He got us out of the Conference.

He can turn this around given funding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
arryarryarry
January 11, 2021, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from RonMariner

I was one of them. It was clear from the outset that he was out of his depth. Was it 25 games we went without a win? Throwing a totally inexperienced manager into a relegation dog fight was madness.

The situation now is different. We have a manager who has saved a club from near certain relegation from L1 and got them into the playoffs the following season. He got us out of the Conference.

He can turn this around given funding.

I agree but he has to be given the funding but more importantly get the right quality players in.

What I think is very similar to the Woods situation is that the quality of players is very poor and they play like they don't give a toss, you only have to see their reactions when we concede a goal, they look like they are not bothered.

If we do go down I would blame the shower of excrement that run this club and that have managed this club but have walked out.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › As we are near certainties for relegation.?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.