jamesgtfc
January 5, 2021, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RonMariner
Yes. It's like Matt. when he played for us he stumbled around the pitch like a giraffe on ice. He looked total garbage.

Then he goes to Newport and cant stop scoring.

Wierd.  Maybe we just don't know how to get the best out of players or how play to their strengths.  

Matt was here under Slade so that probably answers that one.

I remember Runaway complaining that he couldn't have a team meeting at Cheapside due to Covid restrictions on the number of people allowed in a room. Next minute he's talking about having the lads in McMennemys watching one of his favourite films!

Now surely it doesn't take a genius to work out if Cheapside means you have to give your message to 3 groups of people, then you get them all together at the ground and deliver the message there!

The chances are that each meeting would be slightly different, especially if a player had a question so I certainly found that episode a bit bizarre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Rodley Mariner
January 5, 2021, 10:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
The way Hollow Words veers all over the show spraying anybody in earshot with his verbal diarrhoea I would suspect the messages were more than slightly different. Not hard to imagine it was confusing for young, inexperienced lads to know what the intercourse he wanted them to do - we often changed formation 4 or 5 times in the same game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
grimsby pete
January 5, 2021, 10:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I mentioned it before when we saw the video of Ollie talking to the young lads at cheapside they all looked blank.

They did not dare  say ' what are you on about '

I think if he stayed we would be down and he would have been a basket case for sure.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
RonMariner
January 5, 2021, 11:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,860
Gold Stars: 230
Yes.

Resigning was the best thing he did for us. With the possible exception of the two wins against Scunthorpe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
aldi_01
January 6, 2021, 6:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Holloway’s legacy is a good away day at scunny and the most chaotic and disturbing recruitment process we’ve ever seen. He will try to paint himself in a good light and the fashionista football fans that cling to the words of journos and tv pundits will buy it...fans of the clubs he’s been a girl private at will sit back and smirk and think ‘you lying illegitimate’.

Hurst will have to ship many a player out and whilst Windsor didn’t really succeed here I’m not sure that’s entirely his fault. With a squad of 400 it was impossible to keep them all happy and although Holloway bemoaned the amount of games, almost every other side is coping with it with much smaller squads. I think Holloway believed his own hype so introduced the bonkers rotation system regardless of results and the ability of who was coming in.

Players couldn’t get going and this is no slight on Davies because I believe he probably had similar views to us but the coaching can’t have been great, we looked devoid of ideas and lacked any sort of momentum.

We’ve had many a player be here that was average at best go on to be better elsewhere, that’s not always our fault, sometimes it’s the style, the club, the personal impact and so forth but I think the likes of Windsor will do well elsewhere and that can likely be attributed to him not being at our shitshow...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2021, 8:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
Holloway’s legacy is a good away day at scunny and the most chaotic and disturbing recruitment process we’ve ever seen. He will try to paint himself in a good light and the fashionista football fans that cling to the words of journos and tv pundits will buy it...fans of the clubs he’s been a girl private at will sit back and smirk and think ‘you lying illegitimate’.

Hurst will have to ship many a player out and whilst Windsor didn’t really succeed here I’m not sure that’s entirely his fault. With a squad of 400 it was impossible to keep them all happy and although Holloway bemoaned the amount of games, almost every other side is coping with it with much smaller squads. I think Holloway believed his own hype so introduced the bonkers rotation system regardless of results and the ability of who was coming in.

Players couldn’t get going and this is no slight on Davies because I believe he probably had similar views to us but the coaching can’t have been great, we looked devoid of ideas and lacked any sort of momentum.

We’ve had many a player be here that was average at best go on to be better elsewhere, that’s not always our fault, sometimes it’s the style, the club, the personal impact and so forth but I think the likes of Windsor will do well elsewhere and that can likely be attributed to him not being at our shitshow...

I think you’ve hit upon an idea to get us back into the ground! A squad of 4,000. We could all register as players (unpaid of course).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
diehardmariner
January 6, 2021, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I thought Windsor looked very decent when he first arrived, playing down the middle.  Then as part of Holloway's absurd rotations he was deployed more in a wide role which clearly didn't suit him.

Clearly some disillusionment was at play too.  Law of average is that at least one of the loan signings from a much higher level would turn out half decent....they've all come with a decent pedigree and in at least half the cases of having something about them.  So you can't always say it was the identification of the player that was wrong, I'd be more inclined to say it's about how we've treated them.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Windsor to Newport

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.