9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
December 27, 2020, 12:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
I can think of three/four likely scenarios but interested if people see more or which they think most likely.

1) Sale goes through in the next few days. Consortium are ambitious in recruitment and budget to attract manager and things start to look up

2) The sale goes through but the terms Fenty insists on mean limited funds are available. Patience required along with us somehow clinging to league status

3) Fenty holds on. The board continue to claim only a vocal online minority want change. To try and calm things he throws some money in recruits somebody like Hurst or Alexander by giving them a decent budget for January and allowing an increase in coaching staff

4) Fenty stays but things turn nastier. On the back of very poor ifollow numbers he says there is nothing to spend in January and promotes Ben Davies with Woods assisting him. Conference return seems inevitable.

Logged Online
Private Message
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2020, 12:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good summary of possible scenarios. Can’t think of others. For my money, 1 is the most unlikely.

3 or 4 I reckon. Just based on a hunch.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 80
aldi_01
December 27, 2020, 12:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
To be honest he could bring Allegri in as manager, the pressure remains. Fenty’s position is untenable and he needs to be gone, if people really care about the club they need to recognise this is beyond just getting a good manager...and when he’s kicked 1 good one in 20 years I’m hardly gonna get excited at the prospect of him picking another...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 80
Rodley Mariner
December 27, 2020, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
I agree with you Aldi but I think he holds us in low enough esteem to think we'd be bought by a decent manager and a recognised League 2 striker.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 80
aldi_01
December 27, 2020, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Some fans would be bought...look at the wankfest when Holloway got the job.

In the end it all unravelled but I’d imagine those that were less enthusiastic still recognised that the issues at the club still remained and it was a smokescreen...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 80
louth_in_the_south
December 27, 2020, 1:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,714
Gold Stars: 96
His position is untenable now . He knows it . Potential buyers know that. Fans definitely know it .
Unfortunately he owns the club and can keep his grip . Depends on how long he wants to make his life a sh.itshow

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Good summary of possible scenarios. Can’t think of others. For my money, 1 is the most unlikely.

3 or 4 I reckon. Just based on a hunch.

I think 3, I hope 1. Knowing Fenty, he’s going to cling on because he’s lost his role as council flag waver.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 80
Roast Em Bobby
December 27, 2020, 1:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,728
Gold Stars: 44
In order of likeliness to happen I'd guess 3, 2, 4, 1
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 80
Bigdog
December 27, 2020, 1:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I can think of three/four likely scenarios but interested if people see more or which they think most likely.

1) Sale goes through in the next few days. Consortium are ambitious in recruitment and budget to attract manager and things start to look up

2) The sale goes through but the terms Fenty insists on mean limited funds are available. Patience required along with us somehow clinging to league status

3) Fenty holds on. The board continue to claim only a vocal online minority want change. To try and calm things he throws some money in recruits somebody like Hurst or Alexander by giving them a decent budget for January and allowing an increase in coaching staff

4) Fenty stays but things turn nastier. On the back of very poor ifollow numbers he says there is nothing to spend in January and promotes Ben Davies with Woods assisting him. Conference return seems inevitable.

Good luck with any decent manager wanting to come here under Fenty with the state the clubs in. Same for decent recruits. Throw money? What money? The wage cap? Option three is as about fanciful as it gets..

1).. or 4) but with a desperate manager most likely..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 80
Gainsbro_Mariner
December 27, 2020, 1:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,459
Gold Stars: 15
I hate to say it but I really can't see it being anything more than 4. I'm normally a staunch optimist even with Town, but I can't help but feel Fenty will continue and we will get either a manager we arent happy with or we appoint from within.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 80
exiledmeggie
December 27, 2020, 1:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
The only way the club goes forward is JF, and the other board members are removed at the earliest opportunity. I cannot see this now at this time?

So if the consortium does not pay off the current board, then JF stays and that makes the takeover impossible in the near future.

So the clock is ticking, personally I think that JF will in the next few days agree a deal to allow the club to be taken over, he remains a low minority shareholder for three season. This is the only way I see that the club can get a fresh injection of money to proceed with its plans for a new stadium and investments!

If the clock stops, I am afraid I think the club is heading to the conference and oblivion?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 80
Mikey_345
December 27, 2020, 1:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 113
IF he doesn’t go, this is going to get very ugly, very quickly I’m afraid.

This isn’t like the past, this is different.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 80
FishOutOfWater
December 27, 2020, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Bigdog

Good luck with any decent manager wanting to come here under Fenty with the state the clubs in. Same for decent recruits. Throw money? What money? The wage cap? Option three is as about fanciful as it gets..

1).. or 4) with a desperate manager most likely..

Has it been decided yet it we are actually near the top end of the wage cap or was that just some throw away remark by Day without any substance?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 80
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 27, 2020, 1:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Worst case is that Fenty declines the offer and the Consortium walk away and have no further interest in purchasing the club. Given they appear to have offered Fenty everything he always insisted he wanted to allow a sale to go through why would any future interested party ever want to try and buy a club as the more we hear the clearer it is that there was only one “tyre kicker” involved in these negotiations and it wasn’t the consortium.

That’s why we have to hope the consortium succeeds but if not ensure there exists other avenues for the removal of this board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Worst case is that Fenty declines the offer and the Consortium walk away and have no further interest in purchasing the club. Given they appear to have offered Fenty everything he always insisted he wanted to allow a sale to go through why would any future interested party ever want to try and buy a club as the more we hear the clearer it is that there was only one “tyre kicker” involved in these negotiations and it wasn’t the consortium.

That’s why we have to hope the consortium succeeds but if not ensure there exists other avenues for the removal of this board.

The consortium is not going to walk away, they know there is so much money to be made in property development and rejuvenation in Grimsby town (with a small 't') and Grimsby Town (with a capital 'T') is key to the docks development. That's the main reason for buying the club, face it why would they want a bottom half of Div 4 (or even Conference) football team. Not having a pop at them so no red Xs please I'm sure they are 100% OK but please don't lets kid ourselves that owning a football team is their first priority

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 80
Rodley Mariner
December 27, 2020, 1:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
I agree with you completely Swin and agree there's nothing wrong with that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 80
moosey_club
December 27, 2020, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,322
Gold Stars: 229
Option 5 -
Fenty waits...praises Ben Davies progress despite falling to a 7th game without a win or shot on target in open play.....sells Pollock to Peterborough when the transfer window opens....... and waits and waits and waits til the 11:55p.m on deadline day hoping Dembele gets sold.....
Dembele move doesnt happen, 11:57p.m John goes to BP to meet Ben Davies , opens the safe in his  office and blows the dust off the fax machine "Sign who you want Ben, I will stay up late and sort the contracts with your targets"

0900 club announce no new signings due to a breakdown in contract negotiations but Ben is still free to sign any non contracted players and state the finances are there if the interim manager needs them.

Ben fails to win in the next 5 games and is made permanent on a player/ manager/ coach/ assistant physio/ conditioning coach and his wife becomes kitperson as part of the deal.

Town miraculously escape relegation on a technicality despite being 15 points adrift, John arranges an open top bus parade and has a statue of himself erected in the newly regenerated St James Square.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 80
aldi_01
December 27, 2020, 2:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I don’t think they’ve used any billshit rhetoric about wanting to always own a football club. None of us are stupid...if we were Fenty would’ve managed to secure his deal with the crook.

I couldn’t care less if Shutes and co are only in it for money, let’s face it, for all the nonsense that’s come out of Fenty’s mouth for 20 years that was clearly his plan all along...he wouldn’t have pursued two atrocious plots for a new stadium if there wasn’t something in it for him.

Simple fact is the club is dead, it’s rotting and Fenty is the main reason for that. There’s a list as long as your arm explaining why, if people don’t know now then they’ll never know.

People always say be careful what you wish for but to be honest we’re well past the panic stage. Without change we die a little more, every week goes by that Fenty is still in charge the club decomposes until it is no more...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 80
exiledmeggie
December 27, 2020, 2:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -208
Gold Stars: 20
Having read Swins post, is this really a fight for who controls the development of Grimsby town, Freeman Street or The Docks. If that is the case, are Grimsby Town a pawn in the game of chess currently being played out by the board and the consortium.

If this is the reality, who really cares about Grimsby Town?

Though I am exiled, I no longer walk Grimsby Road on a wet November evening, clubs I have watched since have developed their grounds with a project to regenerate the area.

So, whoever wins, having control of the future development in Grimsby, Grimsby Town is fundamental to their development of either the docks or Freeman Street. At the moment the club is the pawn in their game.

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 80
Eastendmariner
December 27, 2020, 2:41pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
It's no 4 I'm afraid this board hasn't the ability or the stomach to let go and give us a chance slim one at that to actually get the ball rolling to  get back on the straight and narrow  and avoid going down  its the good old cheap option. With Fenty still in charge.  2010 all over again  Club in caous reputation and credibility tarnished Thanks John. And Mr Holloway

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 80
Boris Johnson
December 27, 2020, 3:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Having read Swins post, is this really a fight for who controls the development of Grimsby town, Freeman Street or The Docks. If that is the case, are Grimsby Town a pawn in the game of chess currently being played out by the board and the consortium.

Though I am exiled, I no longer walk Grimsby Road on a wet November evening, clubs I have watched since have developed their grounds with a project to regenerate the area.

So, whoever wins, having control of the future development in Grimsby, Grimsby Town is fundamental to their development of either the docks or Freeman Street. At the moment the club is the pawn in their game.

at last the penny drops,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
friskneymariner
December 27, 2020, 3:17pm

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Still think he his hanging on for Dembele  sale,he could pocket £1.5 -£2 million pound.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
cardiffmariner
December 27, 2020, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Unfortunately, I can see nothing other than 3 or 4.

Regarding whether Town are a pawn or not, I think any investor in Town is looking to make it a success in one way or another. It’s hardly like they are going to come in and asset strip the club is it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
December 27, 2020, 3:30pm
Guest User
It’s got 3 or 4 written all over it. And given that I cannot imagine Hurst returning, then 4.
Reply: 23 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
Still think he his hanging on for Dembele  sale,he could pocket £1.5 -£2 million pound.

How does he personally benefit from the sale of Dembele? He either takes the pay out from the consortium or he redeems the loan when the club has money in the bank. He can’t have it twice.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
ska face
December 27, 2020, 3:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
If these 3 think they can make a few quid out of developing some part of the docks with a stadium as the driver for the project then good luck to them and I hope they pull it off. I hope they make 10 times what they put in, it’s a massive success and they’re all very happy!

I know plenty of people, myself included, who would love to see something like that happen and it’s what the town needs. Nobody’s done anything in the town for decades so if three people can make a success of it and drag the club along with them then that’s great.

What we certainly don’t need is an out of town retail park, or a stadium on the back of the crem with a Burger King & Lidl, which is where Fenty has wasted nearly 2 decades.

There are much easier ways to make a few bob in development than having to fork out £2.5m for a community institution with 5-10k regular, often difficult, customers and very uncertain income streams. So we should all be grateful that the consortium have even made an offer in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
grimsby pete
December 27, 2020, 3:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

The consortium is not going to walk away, they know there is so much money to be made in property development and rejuvenation in Grimsby town (with a small 't') and Grimsby Town (with a capital 'T') is key to the docks development. That's the main reason for buying the club, face it why would they want a bottom half of Div 4 (or even Conference) football team. Not having a pop at them so no red Xs please I'm sure they are 100% OK but please don't lets kid ourselves that owning a football team is their first priority

I think two of them are fans Swin but agree Shutes  is more interested in the development but who cares ? If they get rid of Fenty they will do for me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
friskneymariner
December 27, 2020, 3:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How does he personally benefit from the sale of Dembele? He either takes the pay out from the consortium or he redeems the loan when the club has money in the bank. He can’t have it twice.

He can get his repayment in one chunk.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
LondonMariner43
December 27, 2020, 3:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from exiledmeggie

Could be something in this - it’s not about football it’s about money and politics

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
geir
December 27, 2020, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

It is no wonder that some of you like to call yourselves "miserable". You have good reason to be as it seems that the good people in the Grimsby-area are more unlucky than any other people in the western world. There is one disaster after another just waiting in line to happen. As an "outsider" of the area I thought at first that you were all exaggerating a bit, but now i wholeheartedly believe that nothing seems to go the way it should. Even what most people tend to believe is "good news" has a tendency to go pear-shaped after a while.
I really, really start to wonder why there is so much yang and so little yin for you, but maybe it could be turned around? Maybe Grimsby could be one of the new tourist hot-spots when the world opens up again under the headline "Come visit the unluckiest place in the Western hemisphere". This will be probably be wonderful for a little while, until, at the height of tourism, when you have more visitors than London, some terrorists set off a bomb killing thousands and no-one ever comes to Grimsby again.
Oh, well - so that`s why there can be no other alternative than number 4 - but even worse. The club will be linked with someone`s shady business dealings and will be put under administration in the conference and will be banned from being a football club for the next 10 years.
And I am usually a optimist, but even here, sat at my home in Norway, dark clouds gather over my head thinking about the football club that I love above any other.

UTM

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Could be something in this - it’s not about football it’s about money and politics

Who do you trust to develop the club? Some bright entrepreneurs who have a plan or a busted flush that’s had 16 years pissing about?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think two of them are fans Swin but agree Shutes  is more interested in the development but who cares ? If they get rid of Fenty they will do for me.

I'm a fan Pete but if I won Euromillions I wouldn't buy Grimsby Town and the two Town fans in tne Shutes Consortium didn't get the bank balances they've got by buying run down no mark football clubs just because they are fans

My biggest worry is not them buying as I realise up front that GTFC is just one small piece of their plans. I am more worried that they know absolutely intercourse all about running a football club. God knows who they might appoint as manager!

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who do you trust to develop the club? Some bright entrepreneurs who have a plan or a busted flush that’s had 16 years pissing about?

It depends what you mean by ;'trust'

I am perfectly happy that the Shutes trio are not going to screw GTFC like Bury for example but I don't 'trust' them to run the club successfully on the pitch.

I'm afraid many think that if Fenty goes and Shutes takes over money is going to be heavily invested in players, a top manager etc and we will find ourselves in Div 3 or dare I say it Div 2

We will I'm sure get a new ground, football success is far from guaranteed just because ownership changes

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2020, 4:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,787
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Ipswin

This has always been obvious, hasn't it - making money one way or another from re-location?

Fenty wanted to do it but has not been able to, and of course the consortium can see investment opportunities with the re-location of GTFC being the key to unlock things.

You do not get a business consortium coming along with plans just for the love of it, but at least in this consortiums case they seem to be keen on developing the wider area for all of us to enjoy.

What I hope is that Fenty will accept the inevitable; the goings-on in the last 10 days or so show that he will not be involved in any regeneration in Grimsby.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 80
ginnywings
December 27, 2020, 4:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Maybe the Shutes consortium are genuinely just trying to bring something good to this town. They all have connections to the town and two of them support the team. Can't see what significant money they can make from a dock based community stadium and refurb of existing buildings in the area.

One has to ask why the current board are so set on Freemo and Peaks Parkway before it. Great Coates too was never a good idea.

Stockwood genuinely seems to be someone who values people looking at his CV, and he doesn't look short of a few bob.

I've always hankered after someone to come in and drag this club kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I never imagined hope would come from 3 such impressive and suitable people. The ground development they are proposing is perfect in my view, but as ever, the massive spanner in the works is one JSF, who despite what he says about being willing to sell, is still dragging his heels over the best deal he's ever going to get for himself, the club and most importantly, the fans.

It's infuriating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 80
cardiffmariner
December 27, 2020, 4:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm a fan Pete but if I won Euromillions I wouldn't buy Grimsby Town and the two Town fans in tne Shutes Consortium didn't get the bank balances they've got by buying run down no mark football clubs just because they are fans

My biggest worry is not them buying as I realise up front that GTFC is just one small piece of their plans. I am more worried that they know absolutely intercourse all about running a football club. God knows who they might appoint as manager!

How does this leave us in any worse position than we currently are?

I think it’s safe to say that the success of these guys is an indicator of their business and intellectual nous. And for me it sits far beyond that of any of the current custodians of the club.

It’s easy to sit back and constantly say this won’t work/that won’t work. It is clear the club needs to go in a different direction. There will never be a fail safe option and, to me, the current consortium seem a good choice for both the club and the Town. I’m only sad it probably won’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2020, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,787
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
Maybe the Shutes consortium are genuinely just trying to bring something good to this town. They all have connections to the town and two of them support the team. Can't see what significant money they can make from a dock based community stadium and refurb of existing buildings in the area.

One has to ask why the current board are so set on Freemo and Peaks Parkway before it. Great Coates too was never a good idea.

Stockwood genuinely seems to be someone who values people looking at his CV, and he doesn't look short of a few bob.

I've always hankered after someone to come in and drag this club kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but I never imagined hope would come from 3 such impressive and suitable people. The ground development they are proposing is perfect in my view, but as ever, the massive spanner in the works is one JSF, who despite what he says about being willing to sell, is still dragging his heels over the best deal he's ever going to get for himself, the club and most importantly, the fans.

It's infuriating.

So true. And of course we now have the added complications of being perilously close to the drop zone; even then they have agreed to give him his money unconditionally on which division we end up in at the end of the season.

If he is harbouring thoughts that he can turn it all round it is just not feasible. The fans are in open revolt, money from the fans will largely dry up and he is tainted by going into business with a convicted multiple fraudster preying on pensioners. He is finished, and I hope someone close advises him to take the offer so we can quickly get on with the job of keeping us in the league as the first job on a very long list.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I am perfectly happy that the Shutes trio are not going to screw GTFC like Bury for example but I don't 'trust' them to run the club successfully on the pitch.

I'm afraid many think that if Fenty goes and Shutes takes over money is going to be heavily invested in players, a top manager etc and we will find ourselves in Div 3 or dare I say it Div 2

We will I'm sure get a new ground, football success is far from guaranteed just because ownership changes

It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Read Lloyd Griffith’s article on Cod Almighty. Would you want to come and play for a club that changes the terms of your contract on the way here? Would you rather play in a shiny stadium, train at state of the art facilities?
The Shutes development increases our chances of improving recruitment. No more melting phone bullshit. Do you really want another 15 years of this on a ‘better the devil you know’ basis?

I’m guessing you’re playing devils advocate because there’s nothing to be gained by continuing this charade.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 80
Swansea_Mariner
December 27, 2020, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Might be just hot air but someone on Facebook saying it's a done deal to be completed by Friday. Hoping this is true.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 80
ginnywings
December 27, 2020, 4:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from geir

It is no wonder that some of you like to call yourselves "miserable". You have good reason to be as it seems that the good people in the Grimsby-area are more unlucky than any other people in the western world. There is one disaster after another just waiting in line to happen. As an "outsider" of the area I thought at first that you were all exaggerating a bit, but now i wholeheartedly believe that nothing seems to go the way it should. Even what most people tend to believe is "good news" has a tendency to go pear-shaped after a while.
I really, really start to wonder why there is so much yang and so little yin for you, but maybe it could be turned around? Maybe Grimsby could be one of the new tourist hot-spots when the world opens up again under the headline "Come visit the unluckiest place in the Western hemisphere". This will be probably be wonderful for a little while, until, at the height of tourism, when you have more visitors than London, some terrorists set off a bomb killing thousands and no-one ever comes to Grimsby again.
Oh, well - so that`s why there can be no other alternative than number 4 - but even worse. The club will be linked with someone`s shady business dealings and will be put under administration in the conference and will be banned from being a football club for the next 10 years.
And I am usually a optimist, but even here, sat at my home in Norway, dark clouds gather over my head thinking about the football club that I love above any other.

UTM

I fear you are right geir. I've often mused if there is a curse on this club, and I don't believe in such stuff.

Even now, with covid in place, the board are away from the fury that would be wreaked upon them if the ground was open to us. They have once again put us into a very precarious position, but are safely tucked away at arms length inside BP towers, while the fans on the outside are absolutely desperate for change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 80
marinette
December 27, 2020, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3

I like the way you've set out possible options, Rodley.  Wouldn't like to try and predict how things might actually turn out, but don't know if I could stomach another relegation to the conference.  Daren't allow myself to hope that no. 1 might happen either.  Middle ground would be either 2 or 3 ... not ideal, but at least we'd stay up.

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 80
Limerick Mariner
December 27, 2020, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Ipswin

Agreed and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. If these people want to see their home town centre regenerated along with a new home for its football club surely that is a win-win. One thing is certain - the time is now - I posted a few weeks back about the government cash hose that is going to come out and Gy and GTFC need to be a position to absorb it. Another thing is certain, that thinking bringing is some funding match for the government grants from a convicted fraudster (no matter that their money now might be clean) is nothing short of utterly stupid. I confess I was duped by Fenty and the Holloway appointment, I though maybe Fenty is finally going to deliver. But this is final now - Fenty and his Board have failed; they failed to deliver an out of town stadium (not my preference) when numerous other clubs of similar size and status have succeeded. Town centre regeneration is more complex, it requires vision and top notch project management skills. Fenty has never ever show the capability of delivering and now with the May fiasco it has to be the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 4:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cardiffmariner

How does this leave us in any worse position than we currently are?

I think Shutes is quite keen on Russell Slade apparently

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 80
forza ivano
December 27, 2020, 4:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,285
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Ipswin

imho i don't think they are going to be terribly interested or involved in the 'on pitch' activities.As youve correctly opined they are interested in the whole regeneration of Gy project,They are philanthropists, almost redolent of the Victorian era. I think one of the first things they will do is to appoint  aproper chief executive and a director of football and will let them get on with the football side, whilst they deal with the 'bricks and mortar'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 80
IlkleyMariner
December 27, 2020, 4:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Approval: +3,034
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Ipswin

I think Shutes is quite keen on Russell Slade apparently

Wind up merchant. Think we have seen the end of Russ in the GTFC dugout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 4:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Read Lloyd Griffith’s article on Cod Almighty. Would you want to come and play for a club that changes the terms of your contract on the way here? Would you rather play in a shiny stadium, train at state of the art facilities?
The Shutes development increases our chances of improving recruitment. No more melting phone bullshit. Do you really want another 15 years of this on a ‘better the devil you know’ basis?

I’m guessing you’re playing devils advocate because there’s nothing to be gained by continuing this charade.

I'm simply trying to keep peoples feet on the ground so some people understandably desperate for change and success, don't go off like a bunch of idiots like they did when Holloway arrived

(And btw I would rather come and play for a club with all the problems you list than read Lloyd Griffith's garbage)

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 4:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

imho i don't think they are going to be terribly interested or involved in the 'on pitch' activities.As youve correctly opined they are interested in the whole regeneration of Gy project,They are philanthropists, almost redolent of the Victorian era. I think one of the first things they will do is to appoint  aproper chief executive and a director of football and will let them get on with the football side, whilst they deal with the 'bricks and mortar'

I really hope so!

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 80
Marinerz93
December 27, 2020, 4:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Who do you trust to develop the club? Some bright entrepreneurs who have a plan or a busted flush that’s had 16 years pissing Faffing about?

Slight correct for you  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 80
forza ivano
December 27, 2020, 4:54pm

Exile
Quoted from Ipswin

I really hope so!

me too, but its strengthened by Stockwood and Shutes posts/articles/books on their business philiosophy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 80
ska face
December 27, 2020, 4:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,812
Gold Stars: 852
There’s more to running a football club than picking the manager - and can anyone say that the club is in anything resembling decent shape in any aspect off the pitch?

Season tickets are recorded by hand in a big red book, communications are run seemingly by anyone with the password to the website who can then post whatever they like, the Stadium Manager got the club a £15k fine through his actions against Port Vale, there’s zero innovation or desire to move the club forward in any way. We’ve said for years that plenty at the club are accountable to nobody, run the place like an old boys club and are in their positions based on factors other than performance.

Rather than being either John Rockerfella or the Reuben Brothers, this consortium might be a handful of town fans with the ability & willingness to run the club in a more sustainable and forward thinking way?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Slight correct for you  

I preferred the original. Less vague! 🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 80
Rodley Mariner
December 27, 2020, 5:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Just a hunch but I fancy Jason Stockwood to be the public face. In a subtle and understated way his profile has been raised on social media recently and he seems to be the one commenting on Cod Almighty and John Tondeur posts on Twitter as a fan.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 5:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
There’s more to running a football club than picking the manager - and can anyone say that the club is in anything resembling decent shape in any aspect off the pitch?

Season tickets are recorded by hand in a big red book, communications are run seemingly by anyone with the password to the website who can then post whatever they like, the Stadium Manager got the club a £15k fine through his actions against Port Vale, there’s zero innovation or desire to move the club forward in any way. We’ve said for years that plenty at the club are accountable to nobody, run the place like an old boys club and are in their positions based on factors other than performance.

Rather than being either John Rockerfella or the Reuben Brothers, this consortium might be a handful of town fans with the ability & willingness to run the club in a more sustainable and forward thinking way?

Administratively I'm sure they will bring the club into the 21st no, make that 20th century

However I am not that concerned about the administration and whether STs are recorded in a red book or a blue book

I am more interested in performance and success on the pitch which I pray any new owner will address First priority for me and hopefully some others?

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 80
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2020, 5:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from geir

UTM

Oh dear! We’ve dragged you down to our level of pessimism 😉

I think you’ve just demonstrated that you understand us more than Fenty does, someone raised in the town.

By the way, the word we traditionally use is ‘mardy’ , not ‘miserable’. 😄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 80
Ipswin
December 27, 2020, 5:13pm
Vodka Drinker

Alternatively he could have a 'monk' on  

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 80
Limerick Mariner
December 27, 2020, 5:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138

Oh dear! We’ve dragged you down to our level of pessimism 😉

I think you’ve just demonstrated that you understand us more than Fenty does, someone raised in the town.

These lads from 70 miles down the road in Sheffield nicked it from us...
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcI5-nOEsYM[/url]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 80
ginnywings
December 27, 2020, 5:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

Administratively I'm sure they will bting the club into the 21st no, make that 20th century

However I am not that concerned about the administration and whether Sts are recorded in a red book or a blue book

I am more interested in performance and success on the pitch which I pray any new owner will address First priority for me and hopefully some others?

They'd be mad if they didn't prioritize on the pitch performance straight away, given that the threat of losing our league status is very real. They wouldn't want to pay all that money, just to see the task get instantly more difficult and costly. Assuming they are indeed about to take over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 80
IlkleyMariner
December 27, 2020, 5:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Doesn’t Grimsby have more winners or bigger winners in the National lottery?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 80
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2020, 5:23pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

These lads from 70 miles down the road in Sheffield nicked it from us...
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcI5-nOEsYM[/url]

Hah yes! The word I was thinking of wasn’t ‘bum’ 😄

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 5:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Doesn’t Grimsby have more winners or bigger winners in the National lottery?

Mr and Mrs Mullen invested didn’t they? Didn’t last long.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 80
forza ivano
December 27, 2020, 5:25pm

Exile
Just a hunch but I fancy Jason Stockwood to be the public face. In a subtle and understated way his profile has been raised on social media recently and he seems to be the one commenting on Cod Almighty and John Tondeur posts on Twitter as a fan.

Good point, well made.
I cant remember him n pettit being mentioned in the initial round of negotiations
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 5:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Good point, well made.
I cant remember him n pettit being mentioned in the initial round of negotiations

Far too early to speculate. I suspect their other business interests would also need their attention.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
Barrattstander
December 27, 2020, 5:38pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

I think I can confidently say that there is little prospect of football success if we maintain the status quo, so let's embrace change, doing nothing is not an option.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
rancido
December 27, 2020, 5:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think 3, I hope 1. Knowing Fenty, he’s going to cling on because he’s lost his role as council flag waver.

He certainly dismantled that flag!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
toontown
December 27, 2020, 6:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
I would love the rumours of the deal being done to be true, please please please , but I won't believe it till I see it with fenty.

The suggestion that they would be appointing a chief exec rather than  running the whole shebang themselves  would, if it was the case, suggest they are indeed the 3 wise men - that's exactly what they should do in my opinion. A good chief exec would pay for himself.

Or maybe they will go the fenty route and do their own DIY as their master plan for the championship in 5 years...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
moosey_club
December 27, 2020, 6:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,322
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from toontown
I would love the rumours of the deal being done to be true, please please please , but I won't believe it till I see it with fenty.

The suggestion that they would be appointing a chief exec rather than  running the whole shebang themselves  would, if it was the case, suggest they are indeed the 3 wise men - that's exactly what they should do in my opinion. A good chief exec would pay for himself.

Or maybe they will go the fenty route and do their own DIY as their master plan for the championship in 5 years...

I wonder if JSF will apply 🤣

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
aldi_01
December 27, 2020, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
You may joke...I could honestly see him suggesting that they make him CEO to run the operation...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
You may joke...I could honestly see him suggesting that they make him CEO to run the operation...

On the basis of his amazing track record 😂😂🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
forza ivano
December 27, 2020, 6:36pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Far too early to speculate. I suspect their other business interests would also need their attention.

Another good point strengthens my thoughts that they'd run it arms length.
Just imagine a board made up of a chair, a director of football, a commercial director, the 2 trust board members - a board that actually worked for the club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Another good point strengthens my thoughts that they'd run it arms length.
Just imagine a board made up of a chair, a director of football, a commercial director, the 2 trust board members - a board that actually worked for the club!

A really good Chief Exec would allow them to do that. I’m sure they’ll have a structure in mind already.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
Grantley
December 27, 2020, 6:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Me thinks they’d perhaps hire a CEO who has an idea of how to run a football club and not leave it to some old farts who presumably still use ledgers.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 80
forza ivano
December 27, 2020, 7:06pm

Exile
Quoted from Grantley
Me thinks they’d perhaps hire a CEO who has an idea of how to run a football club and not leave it to some old farts who presumably still use ledgers.

I dont know how we are going to get our heads round these sort if revolutionary ideas

I'm getting my dictionary out - looking up what 'visionary,competent  professional, forward thinking, imaginative, efficient ' all mean
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 80
HertsGTFC
December 27, 2020, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
I still think 4 will play out to a war of attrition with mutually assured destruction being relegation.

I hope it’s 1 though as it needs to be. I don’t want to see anyone currently at the club displaced but we must bring in real expertise and experience off the pitch as well as on it.

We need people who know how to utilise digital platforms and CRM to engage the supporter base. The current Board see social media as a platform for dissatisfied supporters when in reality if correctly supported it can start and build a movement.

I’d love a new owner to invest in and champion a proper community programme. Not one just aimed at harvesting the best young talent but one that also engages with the elderly, disadvantaged, local charity partners and organisations to support youngsters who have difficulties settling.

We need to learn from other clubs and organisations and take any pay forward they can offer us and not see them as a threat or with suspicion.

I’m sure the investment opportunity that a new stadium could bring those who are willing to bank roll us short term is a key attraction to any new owner but the difference you could also make locally in a Town like Grimsby and surrounding area could bond loyalty for decades to come.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 80
GollyGTFC
December 27, 2020, 8:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,066
Gold Stars: 359
I am heartened by the fact that we have got through 20 hours today without a club statement responding to last night's statement from the Shutes consortium. Maybe a good indicator that things are progressing and Fenty understands he has to go.

Hopefully the next statement will be a joint one from the the club & Shutes consortium.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 73 - 80
IlkleyMariner
December 27, 2020, 8:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I still think 4 will play out to a war of attrition with mutually assured destruction being relegation.

I hope it’s 1 though as it needs to be. I don’t want to see anyone currently at the club displaced but we must bring in real expertise and experience off the pitch as well as on it.

We need people who know how to utilise digital platforms and CRM to engage the supporter base. The current Board see social media as a platform for dissatisfied supporters when in reality if correctly supported it can start and build a movement.

I’d love a new owner to invest in and champion a proper community programme. Not one just aimed at harvesting the best young talent but one that also engages with the elderly, disadvantaged, local charity partners and organisations to support youngsters who have difficulties settling.

We need to learn from other clubs and organisations and take any pay forward they can offer us and not see them as a threat or with suspicion.

I’m sure the investment opportunity that a new stadium could bring those who are willing to bank roll us short term is a key attraction to any new owner but the difference you could also make locally in a Town like Grimsby and surrounding area could bond loyalty for decades to come.

What a sensible reply.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 80
Macca_D
December 27, 2020, 8:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
Things are about to get really ugly! Probably about time aswell GTFC and UK in general. Buckle up folks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 80
AussieMariner
December 27, 2020, 10:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

The only thing we can be sure of is that whoever they appoint you will tell us all that it’s a mistake
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 80
December 27, 2020, 10:56pm
Guest User
Can you imagine us having a CEO? Even typing those words is almost mystical.

😐
Reply: 77 - 80
KingstonMariner
December 27, 2020, 11:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from 140381
Can you imagine us having a CEO? Even typing those words is almost mystical.

😐

Ian Fleming has the title of Chief Executive, but I doubt he’s been given the real authority other than the title.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 80
December 27, 2020, 11:04pm
Guest User
Understood. But no, I mean a real CEO.
Reply: 79 - 80
horsforthmariner
December 27, 2020, 11:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
I think option 4. I had a nightmare that he announced that Slade was coming back
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 80
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How this plays out short term

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.