Boris Johnson
December 27, 2020, 3:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Having read Swins post, is this really a fight for who controls the development of Grimsby town, Freeman Street or The Docks. If that is the case, are Grimsby Town a pawn in the game of chess currently being played out by the board and the consortium.

If this is the reality, who really cares about Grimsby Town?

Though I am exiled, I no longer walk Grimsby Road on a wet November evening, clubs I have watched since have developed their grounds with a project to regenerate the area.

So, whoever wins, having control of the future development in Grimsby, Grimsby Town is fundamental to their development of either the docks or Freeman Street. At the moment the club is the pawn in their game.

at last the penny drops,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 80
friskneymariner
December 27, 2020, 3:17pm

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Still think he his hanging on for Dembele  sale,he could pocket £1.5 -£2 million pound.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 80
cardiffmariner
December 27, 2020, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Unfortunately, I can see nothing other than 3 or 4.

Regarding whether Town are a pawn or not, I think any investor in Town is looking to make it a success in one way or another. It’s hardly like they are going to come in and asset strip the club is it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 80
December 27, 2020, 3:30pm
Guest User
It’s got 3 or 4 written all over it. And given that I cannot imagine Hurst returning, then 4.
Reply: 23 - 80
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2020, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from friskneymariner
Still think he his hanging on for Dembele  sale,he could pocket £1.5 -£2 million pound.

How does he personally benefit from the sale of Dembele? He either takes the pay out from the consortium or he redeems the loan when the club has money in the bank. He can’t have it twice.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 80
ska face
December 27, 2020, 3:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,811
Gold Stars: 852
If these 3 think they can make a few quid out of developing some part of the docks with a stadium as the driver for the project then good luck to them and I hope they pull it off. I hope they make 10 times what they put in, it’s a massive success and they’re all very happy!

I know plenty of people, myself included, who would love to see something like that happen and it’s what the town needs. Nobody’s done anything in the town for decades so if three people can make a success of it and drag the club along with them then that’s great.

What we certainly don’t need is an out of town retail park, or a stadium on the back of the crem with a Burger King & Lidl, which is where Fenty has wasted nearly 2 decades.

There are much easier ways to make a few bob in development than having to fork out £2.5m for a community institution with 5-10k regular, often difficult, customers and very uncertain income streams. So we should all be grateful that the consortium have even made an offer in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 80
grimsby pete
December 27, 2020, 3:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

The consortium is not going to walk away, they know there is so much money to be made in property development and rejuvenation in Grimsby town (with a small 't') and Grimsby Town (with a capital 'T') is key to the docks development. That's the main reason for buying the club, face it why would they want a bottom half of Div 4 (or even Conference) football team. Not having a pop at them so no red Xs please I'm sure they are 100% OK but please don't lets kid ourselves that owning a football team is their first priority

I think two of them are fans Swin but agree Shutes  is more interested in the development but who cares ? If they get rid of Fenty they will do for me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 80
friskneymariner
December 27, 2020, 3:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How does he personally benefit from the sale of Dembele? He either takes the pay out from the consortium or he redeems the loan when the club has money in the bank. He can’t have it twice.

He can get his repayment in one chunk.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 80
LondonMariner43
December 27, 2020, 3:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Having read Swins post, is this really a fight for who controls the development of Grimsby town, Freeman Street or The Docks. If that is the case, are Grimsby Town a pawn in the game of chess currently being played out by the board and the consortium.

If this is the reality, who really cares about Grimsby Town?

Though I am exiled, I no longer walk Grimsby Road on a wet November evening, clubs I have watched since have developed their grounds with a project to regenerate the area.

So, whoever wins, having control of the future development in Grimsby, Grimsby Town is fundamental to their development of either the docks or Freeman Street. At the moment the club is the pawn in their game.

Could be something in this - it’s not about football it’s about money and politics

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 80
geir
December 27, 2020, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

It is no wonder that some of you like to call yourselves "miserable". You have good reason to be as it seems that the good people in the Grimsby-area are more unlucky than any other people in the western world. There is one disaster after another just waiting in line to happen. As an "outsider" of the area I thought at first that you were all exaggerating a bit, but now i wholeheartedly believe that nothing seems to go the way it should. Even what most people tend to believe is "good news" has a tendency to go pear-shaped after a while.
I really, really start to wonder why there is so much yang and so little yin for you, but maybe it could be turned around? Maybe Grimsby could be one of the new tourist hot-spots when the world opens up again under the headline "Come visit the unluckiest place in the Western hemisphere". This will be probably be wonderful for a little while, until, at the height of tourism, when you have more visitors than London, some terrorists set off a bomb killing thousands and no-one ever comes to Grimsby again.
Oh, well - so that`s why there can be no other alternative than number 4 - but even worse. The club will be linked with someone`s shady business dealings and will be put under administration in the conference and will be banned from being a football club for the next 10 years.
And I am usually a optimist, but even here, sat at my home in Norway, dark clouds gather over my head thinking about the football club that I love above any other.

UTM

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How this plays out short term

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.