9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
December 30, 2020, 10:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Handyside now there's a player, Rolls Royce of a centreback, as you say everything but pace, I was still surprised he didn't make the step up to the Premiership.  Christ we used to have quality players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 81
KingstonMariner
December 31, 2020, 6:14am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Pollock can deliver a good long pass too. Not just a hulking hoof merchant.

But I agree with Pen Penfras in that Bennett was better, though markets change and we might end up getting more for him.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 81
cannylad68
December 31, 2020, 9:05am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I remember our zealous fans saying McKeown was worth £500,000 at one time.

Don't think we ever had an offer.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 31, 2020, 9:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
The thing I like about the lad is his feet seemingly are flat on the ground and doesn’t get fazed by any speculation about his future. He turned down the opportunity to train with top flight clubs during the summer and undoubtedly has a bright future ahead of him.

It’s not always a case of selling the golden egg but seeing what hatches. The lad is learning his trade still and with some decent coaching will develop even further. And we now have a manager and assistant that can actually do some training with the players and not focused on boardroom activity and the £££££

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
BobbyCummingsTackle
December 31, 2020, 9:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
His pace can be improved; he could shed a few pounds and could be coached about how he moves over the first 5 yards or so - a centre half doesn't often have to chase players for very long, it's more often about the striker's position and how they accelerate.
His starting position is crucial (how he reads the game) and he seems to have that already.

A big test for him at a higher level is how he deals with strikers who have strength, speed and skill. He's really only used to playing against strikers with the first 2. He'll be found out if he can't deal with a striker who turns him, accelerates quickly, holds the ball close and gets an early shot off (those strikers exist, we just haven't seen one for a long time).

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
Henryscat
December 31, 2020, 10:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from rancido

That was the whole ethos of Dario Gradi when he ran the show at Crewe for all those years. Produce one good player a year whose sale could guarantee the clubs survival - job done. Produce a second who could've then strengthen the team. I read an article about him many times years ago where he explained his whole approach to player development and Crewes' survival.

I’m not sure Dario Gradi is the best person to be aspiring to to be honest looking at what went on behind the scenes at Crewe’s youth set up

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
headingly_mariner
December 31, 2020, 1:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
He doesn’t look like a rookie when he’s playing, he’s probably the best player in the squad and has managed 50 games at 19 even with the Covid break.

He’s totally dominant in the air, has developed really well on the ball and has an excellent attitude. His lack of pace shouldn’t hold him back greatly as he’s such a good reader of the game. He’s your Harry Maguire style centre half. I’d like to see his contract extended but I expect him to leave for well over a million.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
jimgtfc
December 31, 2020, 1:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
I’ve said it before but pace isn’t everything at centre half. If they can read the game well enough and have positional sense then they’ll find themselves in the right place more times than not. Often you see a centre half with pace sprinting back to win a recovery challenge, but what’s not seen is that they’d got themselves in the wrong position to begin with. For me, Mattie has the positioning and reads the game like a 35 year old veteran. Sky’s the limit in my opinion.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
GY1
January 2, 2021, 3:41am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
According to BBC Sports, Wolves are leading the charge for Mattie. I wonder if he will go in Jan?

"Wolves are leading West Brom and Fulham in the race to sign Grimsby's 19-year-old English defender Mattie Pollock"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
NewtoN
January 2, 2021, 7:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +207
Gold Stars: 5
Think it is enviable that Pollock will be sold. All I ask for is that we learn from previous mistakes. I want to see him loaned back till then end of the season. A decent sell of fee, an international clause, a friendly and a potentially ask for another loanee to come.

Up the Mariners, Up the Broadley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matthew Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.