Lincoln Mariner 56
December 30, 2020, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from pen penfras

The rumoured number I heard for Pollock is ridiculously high. I think £500k is about right. He has potential, but the lack of pace is a huge hole that can never be filled. It will ultimately come down to how many teams are willing to make offers and play them off against each other. Personally, I think Bennett was better, but if the interested clubs are at a higher level then we might get lucky.

Spending the money is a lot more difficult. We can't pay transfer fees from the terms of the premier league bailout and we have spent most of our wage cap.

Thought we couldn’t use the money received from the Premiership for transfers but any money raised via a player transfer can surely be used otherwise we are saying that clubs at our level are subject to a transfer ban if fees are involved.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
Grantham_Mariner
December 30, 2020, 6:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
1 million + loaned back to us until end of season should be possible..

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
louth_in_the_south
December 30, 2020, 6:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,712
Gold Stars: 96
If we get 1m it’s likely to be spread over 3-4 years plus any add ons

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 30, 2020, 6:44pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 123
I think the main interest in him is because he can score goals. Considering he is our top scorer, goes to say a lot about our other palyers who are supposed to do just that. A good central defender is much sought after but even more so a good central defender who can score is like gold dust.

We just need him to slot another couple of toe pokes in in the next few games and his price should rise even more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
The Yard Dog
December 30, 2020, 7:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
The value of home talent may go up, when we come out of EU.

Pollock better than some of the donkeys on show in the Premiershit.

We lost out on potential additional revenue, when Bogle went to Wigan, wrong move for both Bogle and GTFC in my opinion

Hopefully still a Mariner after the January transfers.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 81
lee65
December 30, 2020, 8:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I wouldn’t say he’s been completely free from criticism. A good prospect but far from worthy of a big transfer yet .

I like Pollock, heart on his sleeve etc., but the one thing he seriously lacks which is so important in today’s game is pace. The old adage about “positional sense makes up for that” only goes so far at the top level today.
For the more senior amongst us, it reminds me of the Handyside scenario, a fantastic player for Town, and though he moved on to Stoke (I think?) if he had been quicker he could’ve played at the top level for many years.
For this reason I struggle to see Matty playing above championship level (which of course is still fantastic for him  ) so I’d take £500k + a sell on % tomorrow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
HertsGTFC
December 30, 2020, 9:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
He’s still got plenty of development ahead of him and saying what he’s worth or what level he’ll be able to play at is a bit premature to say the least.

If the club get a decent 6 figure offer for him then it’s job done and another tick in the book for Woodsey and the structure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
Corkyefes
December 30, 2020, 9:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 10
Anything over £500k should be accepted.
Anything over £1mil should be hands snapped off.

£500k with some add-ons and clauses I would be delighted with.

Pollock is one of our better players at the minute but that unfortunately is not a very hard fete.

In my opinion we have a better prospect in Idehen.

He's alot more athletic, which is vital in today's game and with the right coaching and attitude, could become a priceless asset for us.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
Garth
December 30, 2020, 10:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I'd build my team around him as captain, we've had some excellent defenders that lacked pace in my 45 years of supporting,  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
moosey_club
December 30, 2020, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,313
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from lee65

I like Pollock, heart on his sleeve etc., but the one thing he seriously lacks which is so important in today’s game is pace. The old adage about “positional sense makes up for that” only goes so far at the top level today.
For the more senior amongst us, it reminds me of the Handyside scenario, a fantastic player for Town, and though he moved on to Stoke (I think?) if he had been quicker he could’ve played at the top level for many years.
For this reason I struggle to see Matty playing above championship level (which of course is still fantastic for him  ) so I’d take £500k + a sell on % tomorrow

Think it was Macca ( John) who said the other week he sees Pollock reading the game pretty well which is equivalent to the first couple of yards in a game, he said Futch didnt get done for pace that often as he read the game so well. He acknowledged the game has changed but still saw Pollock as a Championship defender.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matthew Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.