11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
December 9, 2020, 6:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We’re the club that learns nothing, or that’s how it often seems.

Whilst there may be good reason for paying players off, we’ve been here before and eventually the inevitable happened...it’s not a good habit to get in, especially for a club that pleaded poverty for nigh on 6 months this year...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 105
wigworld
December 9, 2020, 7:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Does anyone know if paying off players (e.g. Mohsni and Ohman) count as part of the salary cap? Is it still considered salary, or more like compensation and therefore outside of salary cap rules?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 105
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 7:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

I suppose to give more budget might mean paying off some players early a la Mohsni and Ohman, perhaps that's what it means. It's an expensive way to do business, but it was clearly very wrong in the summer.

That would be my take on it too. Possibly pay off some of the bigger earners early to free budget for incoming players. Take Hanson for instance. He's probably the highest earner, but it's no good if he's on the treatment table or sat at home. May cost a few grand to pay him off, but we could get someone in to replace him, maybe even for slightly less wages, which would claw back some of the money over the coming months, and also leave slightly more in the cap for others. Same for Green, and dare I say it, Macca. We got Henderson on loan and he was a massive improvement without the cost.

It's also possible we could get some other sides to take those off our hands with free transfers if we let it be known they won't be getting another contract at the end of the season. May motivate them to take a pay drop somewhere else for a longer contract.

I think any player whose contract is up at the end of the season, or is on a loan, is fair game at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 105
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 7:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from wigworld
Does anyone know if paying off players (e.g. Mohsni and Ohman) count as part of the salary cap? Is it still considered salary, or more like compensation and therefore outside of salary cap rules?

I would imagine that if we terminate their contract, even if it means paying them off, it will free up space in the cap. Don't know for sure though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 105
LH
December 9, 2020, 7:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Surely any settlement counts towards the cap though? They are in effect still wages (to this layman)? It’s going to be a very expensive month and I’ve got a really bad feeling that the low capacity of ICU beds at DPOW is going to cost us T2 next week.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 105
lee65
December 9, 2020, 7:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from pen penfras

I suppose to give more budget might mean paying off some players early a la Mohsni and Ohman, perhaps that's what it means. It's an expensive way to do business, but it was clearly very wrong in the summer.

Surely if you pay players off early it is likely to cost a fair proportion of what their full contract would be worth (75%+ say?) or as a player why would you take it.

If this is the case, won’t that still count against the annual salary cap?, so won’t actually free off much money?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 105
lee65
December 9, 2020, 7:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Sorry to be repetitive, didn’t read to the end before posting  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 105
pen penfras
December 9, 2020, 8:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings

I would imagine that if we terminate their contract, even if it means paying them off, it will free up space in the cap. Don't know for sure though.

My understanding is that it doesn't count towards the cap, but I'd have to re-read the rules on the website to be sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 105
Swansea_Mariner
December 9, 2020, 8:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,474
Gold Stars: 63
Hilarious, when is a salary not a salary! I mean why do the EFL have to make things so complicated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 105
gytone
December 9, 2020, 8:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,032
Gold Stars: 8
I fear that come January, we will be stuck adrift second from bottom of the league and any players we actually coax into the club, probably at the end of the month, will not be able to help us catch up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement from Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.