friskneymariner
December 7, 2020, 8:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Currently 4 red crosses for quoting facts and figures from a public website. Come on guys, you can do better than that!

Demonstrates the paucity of the Fentyist supporters, have the courage of your convictions and state  your case.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 105
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 8:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,462
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't know if those numbers are correct, but some of that debt was written off rather than repaid. There was a significant amount of debt to the Mullens that was cleared as part of the settlement for the court case.

Could someone just draw up a table of who was owed what at the end of each year? I'll stick it on an FAQ thread, it's debated ad nauseum as it is.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 105
HertsGTFC
December 7, 2020, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,020
Gold Stars: 232
Quoted from Poojah

Minor point, but I think players that were already here do count towards the salary cap, but at the divisional average rather than their full salary (wherever this is higher than the average). Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

That point aside, the standout issue for me is that we have massively prioritised quantity of players over quality.  If we define senior players either as those who have made more than a couple of league appearances or were new signings, we have by my count 26 of them, supplemented by kids (who are low cost, but not ‘free’ by any stretch).

That’s a huge squad, in fact it’s bigger than Premier League sides are allowed to register to play in league games.

I don’t think it’s that difficult to believe that we are averaging around £55k a year across those, putting us close to the cap. And therein lies the rub for me - an average of c. £1k per week for your senior players feels more in line with our budgeting in the conference days than with a League Two side heading into 2021.

To put it into context, every time we have 11 senior players on the pitch, we have 15 not on it. Not affecting the game. Not scoring goals. Not so winning matches.

I felt throughout the summer that much of our recruitment felt bizarre in how we went about it. I get the impression that we anticipated that Covid would have a far more disruptive effect on player turnover than has played out. As it stands, that’s looking like a serious miscalculation.

I said in a separate thread that after tomorrow night’s game we have a run of six fixtures which look more conducive to winning points, given the current league positions of the opposition. I will reserve my judgement until after those games, however should we fail to pick up more than a handful of points then we are in a real pickle.

I think our Board have a lot to take account for but my assumption is IH gets a budget and decides how to spend it. He was/is clearly obsessed with Sat/Tue rotation something that IMHO putting a squad together so late was always going to be risky in terms of on the pitch cohesion.

All that said I wish they’d just STFU and get on or get out.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 105
ska face
December 7, 2020, 8:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,810
Gold Stars: 852
What, this court case?

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....own-director-3402806

” Former Grimsby Town director Lee Mullen has dropped the claim brought against the club – and will now have to pay £20,000.”
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 105
forza ivano
December 7, 2020, 8:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,286
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from GrimRob

The comment about professional players being told to get a second job, though, where is the source for that? Even if it's true if someone is the first person to introduce the "fact" into the public domain then they have to justify it.

a plausible suggestion was made on Facebook; a letter would've gone out to all furloughed employees explaining what was happening, what it meant and what they could or could not do. In many organisations it was pointed out that an employee could take another job whilst on furlough, so long as they made themselves available to return to their main place of work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 105
Azimuth
December 7, 2020, 8:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +711
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Cricklewoodmariner
Why has Mr. Fenty taken money out of our club when we haven't finished in the top of half of Div. 4 for 14 years? (under his leadership)

Probably because he put in over £2 million of hos own money to keep us afloat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 105
arryarryarry
December 7, 2020, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Azimuth

It didn't stop us sinking into Non League.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 105
Stew0_0
December 7, 2020, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Regarding the 2nd job rumour for one of my players. Has a part-time fan read Shaun Pearsons article regarding him delivering takeaways in the lockdown and still think he plays for us OR is it just complete boulderdash made up in an attempt to further infuriate supporters.

Being a full time club why on earth would we ask what is now considered a senior member of the squad to get a part time job??

On 2 other notes i would like to add from both sides of the spectrum......

1. Why do certain fans think they need to know, understand or make up stories about the running of the club, decisions made, finances of, or boardroom decisions. Its none of our business.

2. Why does the chairman feel it necessary to have to explain himself and the club everytime one of these Chinese whispers is plastered on social media. The majority of this rubbish is untrue and should be ignored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 105
mariner91
December 7, 2020, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Azimuth

And how many millions of £s has his mismanagement cost us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 105
mariner91
December 7, 2020, 9:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,772
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Stew0_0
Regarding the 2nd job rumour for one of my players. Has a part-time fan read Shaun Pearsons article regarding him delivering takeaways in the lockdown and still think he plays for us OR is it just complete boulderdash made up in an attempt to further infuriate supporters.

Being a full time club why on earth would we ask what is now considered a senior member of the squad to get a part time job??

On 2 other notes i would like to add from both sides of the spectrum......

1. Why do certain fans think they need to know, understand or make up stories about the running of the club, decisions made, finances of, or boardroom decisions. Its none of our business.

2. Why does the chairman feel it necessary to have to explain himself and the club everytime one of these Chinese whispers is plastered on social media. The majority of this rubbish is untrue and should be ignored.

You're right. We should just keep forking out money every year to be constantly disappointed and let down by the incompetence of the current board. In their defence, they've only had almost two decades to get to grips with running a football club, I'm sure they'll get the hang of it soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement from Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.