11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 7:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,453
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Boris Johnson
How the intercourse is this inept and undoubtedly the worst squad in recent history... close to the salary cap?

Because there are so many of them.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The club’s Directors Loan account has reduced from 2.209 million to 2 million to 1.8 million to 1.55 million in the last four sets of published accounts according to the Companies House website. This year’s accounts are yet to go live.

Currently 4 red crosses for quoting facts and figures from a public website. Come on guys, you can do better than that!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 105
NorthLondonMariner
December 7, 2020, 7:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Henryscat
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/december/a-statement-from-the-chairman/

I am aware of certain inaccurate statements that have been circulating on social media in the last few days. I wish therefore to advise fans of the true position.

First, the Board is as disappointed as everyone with the recent results. Ollie has gone on record as to how he intends to make changes in January. The Board fully supports him in this, and funds will be available to enable him to do this. We have to bear in mind that we do have a salary cap this season and we are already not far short of the maximum we can spend. Notwithstanding this we will fully support Ollie in his decisions on squad changes.

There is no truth whatsoever that any player has been told to get a second job whilst on furlough. I do not know where that rumour emanated from, but it is completely fictitious.

Another statement is that John Fenty takes £50,000 a year out of the Club. Totally untrue. He takes nothing. Three years ago, there was a part payment of his loan when the Board agreed that there were sufficient funds to do this. Since then, there have been no repayments.

The Club does not operate with a Bank overdraft or Bank loan facility and should there be a shortfall this or any other season then the directors remain available to plug any gaps as they always have been.

There has also been a suggestion that the Board have turned down an offer from Mr. Tom Shutes to acquire the Club. Again untrue. I refer to the statement in the press I made several months ago. The door is always open and if Mr. Shutes wishes to speak to me and put forward proposals which satisfy the requirements of the EFL (as recently amended following the fiasco of the Bury and Macclesfield clubs) with regard to ownership then I will be pleased to talk to him.

No one wants to censor social media but there is a difference between legitimate criticism and unfounded and untrue statements. The unfounded statements I have referred to above fall into the latter category.

I wish the players all the best in the games to come and assure them that we are all behind them in their efforts. I hope fans will soon be back in the ground to cheer them on.

UTMM

Philip

So did I dream Philip Day saying in a RH interview a few weeks ago "We are nowhere near hitting the salary cap this season"?

Someone can't keep track of their lies......................................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 105
aldi_01
December 7, 2020, 7:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Got to love a GTFC statement. They never really answer or clarify anything, just turn the phrasing of certain things around.

Nobody asked if players were furloughed, the comment was regarding professional players being told to get a second job.

They’re still peddling this narrative about Shutes which is tiresome and then more words about results. It was one step away from the dreaded vote of no confidence.

Still, nice of Fenty to help Day out...especially with him taking such a backward step recently...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 105
pontoonlew
December 7, 2020, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from Henryscat

That’s roughly £1,000 a week. I imagine a lot of the more “senior” pros are on double if not treble that. I personally think it’s in this upper region where we aren’t getting VFM.

How many of those seniors do we have realistically? Scannell, Rose, Hendrie, Macca, Hanson, Williams, Waterfall and Green? 5 of those were here last season so do not count towards the salary cap (wonder if the EFL have advised Mr Day that this is the case).

So taking into account all of that, I’m amazed it averages out at over 1k pw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 105
GrimRob
December 7, 2020, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,453
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from aldi_01
Got to love a GTFC statement. They never really answer or clarify anything, just turn the phrasing of certain things around.

Nobody asked if players were furloughed, the comment was regarding professional players being told to get a second job.

They’re still peddling this narrative about Shutes which is tiresome and then more words about results. It was one step away from the dreaded vote of no confidence.

Still, nice of Fenty to help Day out...especially with him taking such a backward step recently...

The comment about professional players being told to get a second job, though, where is the source for that? Even if it's true if someone is the first person to introduce the "fact" into the public domain then they have to justify it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 105
Henryscat
December 7, 2020, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from pontoonlew

How many of those seniors do we have realistically? Scannell, Rose, Hendrie, Macca, Hanson, Williams, Waterfall and Green? 5 of those were here last season so do not count towards the salary cap (wonder if the EFL have advised Mr Day that this is the case).

I don’t know the intricacies of a player’s contract but let’s assume it’s for 52 weeks. 1.5m divided by 52 is 28.8k. If those 8 you’ve mentioned are on 2.5k a week each that is 20k leaving 8.8k left for the other 20 players (or £440 pw each) - of course I’m under the assumption they all count towards the cap in my maths.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 105
pen penfras
December 7, 2020, 8:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The club’s Directors Loan account has reduced from 2.209 million to 2 million to 1.8 million to 1.55 million in the last four sets of published accounts according to the Companies House website. This year’s accounts are yet to go live.

I don't know if those numbers are correct, but some of that debt was written off rather than repaid. There was a significant amount of debt to the Mullens that was cleared as part of the settlement for the court case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 105
Poojah
December 7, 2020, 8:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,879
Gold Stars: 1,523
Quoted from pontoonlew

Minor point, but I think players that were already here do count towards the salary cap, but at the divisional average rather than their full salary (wherever this is higher than the average). Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

That point aside, the standout issue for me is that we have massively prioritised quantity of players over quality.  If we define senior players either as those who have made more than a couple of league appearances or were new signings, we have by my count 26 of them, supplemented by kids (who are low cost, but not ‘free’ by any stretch).

That’s a huge squad, in fact it’s bigger than Premier League sides are allowed to register to play in league games.

I don’t think it’s that difficult to believe that we are averaging around £55k a year across those, putting us close to the cap. And therein lies the rub for me - an average of c. £1k per week for your senior players feels more in line with our budgeting in the conference days than with a League Two side heading into 2021.

To put it into context, every time we have 11 senior players on the pitch, we have 15 not on it. Not affecting the game. Not scoring goals. Not winning matches.

I felt throughout the summer that much of our recruitment felt bizarre in how we went about it. I get the impression that we anticipated that Covid would have a far more disruptive effect on player turnover than has played out. As it stands, that’s looking like a serious miscalculation.

I said in a separate thread that after tomorrow night’s game we have a run of six fixtures which look more conducive to winning points, given the current league positions of the opposition. I will reserve my judgement until after those games, however should we fail to pick up more than a handful of points then we are in a real pickle.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 105
MuddyWaters
December 7, 2020, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't know if those numbers are correct, but some of that debt was written off rather than repaid. There was a significant amount of debt to the Mullens that was cleared as part of the settlement for the court case.

“I don’t know if those numbers are correct?”

I suggest that if you know about that debt being written off and the Mullen repayment then you should recognise the numbers from published accounts.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Statement from Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.