Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2020, 8:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So sick of negativity? I’m sick of Grimsby Town talking the talk but not walking the walk. I want to see us winning football matches not debating whether our keeper should be impersonating Manuel Neuer. Are we really supposed to just sit here and accept the season is effectively over?

It’s bad enough paying for season tickets and not getting to watch the games without being told to ‘look at the bigger picture’ when your team capitulate against the team at the bottom of the league below.

So, when we beat Orient, Cheltenham, Barrow, got 7 points from 3 games you didn't see an improvement?...it's going to be 2 steps forward and a step backward, but that's still progress...but as always, town fans want over night success and have zero patience...it's about time to realise we have a manager who WILL finally move us forwards, they'll be bumps in the road but I'm convinced and stay positive we will get there...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 73
monkeyboy
November 7, 2020, 8:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
We are a league 2 team on herd times. I’m sure if we was up and running as normal ollie would have a vastly different squad.
As said we are cutting our cloth to suit what happening at the moment in the world.
While doing so we have signed some young rough diamonds that in time will come good.

Seriously was anyone expecting promotion? Think most people were ready to settle for mid table and having a club in the league next season.
Give your heads a wobble and have a think about it rather than blasting the team at every opportunity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 73
arryarryarry
November 7, 2020, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

So, when we beat Orient, Cheltenham, Barrow, got 7 points from 3 games you didn't see an improvement?...it's going to be 2 steps forward and a step backward, but that's still progress...but as always, town fans want over night success and have zero patience...it's about time to realise we have a manager who WILL finally move us forwards, they'll be bumps in the road but I'm convinced and stay positive we will get there...

You obviously don't watch the games, both Cheltenham and Orient we played some fast paced football getting the ball forward, now players look like they have been told not to pass forwards. How many free kicks do we have in the opposition's half or near the half way line that end up back with McKeown?

It's not just the ball going backwards but the tactics.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 73
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2020, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

You obviously don't watch the games, both Cheltenham and Orient we played some fast paced football getting the ball forward, now players look like they have been told not to pass forwards. How many free kicks do we have in the opposition's half or near the half way line that end up back with McKeown?

Excuse me?..I've watched every game...we have missed the direct approach that Edwards gives us, but how many times have we tried to take the ball forward through passing, moving, long diagonals...why we are doing is attempting to not give possession away, it that means going backwards to go forwards then so be it...my only really gripe is Morton....every game I've seen him in he's been garbage...no other player has really looked poor, let's see now we've finally got a break from relentless Saturday-Tuesday games what impact Holloway can have on the attacking side of our game in the final third where I'll admit we've been lacking...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 73
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2020, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236

I watched the Harrogate and Carlisle games in between your selected performances too. Time to be honest, we’re ok defensively apart from a selection of keeper errors but we’re toothless up front and our potentially most potent players (Williams, Rose, Scannell, Bennett, Hanson, Tilley, Edwards) are either injured or weren’t fit when they were signed. The problem is that the back ups (Sisay, Jackson, Spokes, Gibson) aren’t very good.

Maybe our injuries are unfortunate, maybe it’s because we were at the back of the queue. Either way, we need to be better than losing to Daggers and accepting it.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 73
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 7, 2020, 9:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from arryarryarry

If you listen to Ollie’s interviews, COVID & Lockdown comments aside, he has frequently stated his frustration at the players not passing and running forward saying he is fed up with shouting telling them what to do. Thus not sure the tactics per se are wrong but presently the eleven taking the field are not good enough to play this way consistently. My big frustration is how many of the players are still not fully fit. Even though some signed late in the day the majority have been with town since early September and whilst we lost two weeks surely they should be fit by now. Most of the youngsters who signed later came from other clubs so should be fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 73
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2020, 9:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I watched the Harrogate and Carlisle games in between your selected performances too. Time to be honest, we’re ok defensively apart from a selection of keeper errors but we’re toothless up front and our potentially most potent players (Williams, Rose, Scannell, Bennett, Hanson, Tilley, Edwards) are either injured or weren’t fit when they were signed. The problem is that the back ups (Sisay, Jackson, Spokes, Gibson) aren’t very good.

Maybe our injuries are unfortunate, maybe it’s because we were at the back of the queue. Either way, we need to be better than losing to Daggers and accepting it.

Oh I don't accept losing to Dagenham, not one little bit, but I won't get all narrow minded and think we are bottom feeders all of a sudden..I agree, our problem is definitely up top, Gibson has shown he has something as about him and we are yet to see Jackson and our better players (the players you list) have been out injured. It's just frustrating that we have a chance to build something and people are on the managers back already...if we are still shite by the end of the season I'll eat my sweaty socks,...I'm that convinced we are building for a better future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 73
arryarryarry
November 7, 2020, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117

Excuse me?..I've watched every game...we have missed the direct approach that Edwards gives us, but how many times have we tried to take the ball forward through passing, moving, long diagonals...why we are doing is attempting to not give possession away, it that means going backwards to go forwards then so be it...my only really gripe is Morton....every game I've seen him in he's been garbage...no other player has really looked poor, let's see now we've finally got a break from relentless Saturday-Tuesday games what impact Holloway can have on the attacking side of our game in the final third where I'll admit we've been lacking...

If that means going backwards to go forwads not to give possession away........

You definitely can't have watched today's game or had you popped for a cup of tea for their goals?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 73
Withnail
November 7, 2020, 9:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Must admit I sat this one out so can't comment on the match itself.

But judging by the match thread and post match comments it would seem we were largely in control of the game and - despite our lack of killer instinct - would on balance, have been very likely to have gone on to win in extra time. Except that is for one moment of madness late on, which makes the result an even more bitter pill to swallow.

Like everyone else I'm drunk off by the result. It hurts like fook to lose to opposition from a lower league, particularly a team who are the current whipping boys.

But...I do question what worth there is in attacking a mostly young and inexperienced team who are no doubt short of confidence right now. Whatever your views on the squad, pre season, Holloway, Fenty, etc... what will sticking the boot into the players actually achieve, other than making their heads drop further?

I get that we created very little today, ditto against Stevenage...but for FFS... let's get to Christmas before we're calling for a Poojar rant... I'd question the sanity of anyone who'd compare the likes of Macca, Waterfall, Pollock, Hendrie, Clifton, Edwards, Wright and Rose to those shithouses who inspired his original (and we'll deserved) rant.

Those calling for Holloway's head on a stick... Please! Do you really think sacking him is the answer? Do you really think we could attract a superior manager? Bignot anyone? Rob Scott? Slade? Even if we could, do you really want us to be one of those dreadful club's who permanently appoints and sacks their manager every other season? Personally, I'd rather have some form of permanence, a manager who knows the club inside out and what makes it tick - summat not to be sniffed at in today's game. The examples of Ferguson and Klopp have previously been mentioned.

So to conclude, some need to put their big boy pants on. Take it in the chin. Dust yourself down and stop squealing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 73
Northbank Mariner
November 7, 2020, 9:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

If that means going backwards to go forwads not to give possession away........

You definitely can't have watched today's game or had you popped for a cup of tea for their goals?

All 3 goals caused by individual errors, look at the possession stats...recently we've been circa 65%, what we are failing to do is score enough but given we are changing and adapting to this style of play I'm sure they will come....as long as Holloway dumps Morton, my god for as positive as I can be, he's frigging useless!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So sick of negativity

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.