dapperz fun pub
May 17, 2020, 10:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Heisenberg

Regarding Wright, I know we can be biased, but I think he’s easily good enough. I hope IH agrees.

I hope so aswell but at 22 (or at least approaching 22) many players find themselves out the pro game slipping into semi pro. I think we’re all keen for max and Harry to do well but I doubt their in a olly first eleven if truth be known
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
codcheeky
May 17, 2020, 11:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,263
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

Maybe he WAS one of the clubs biggest assetts, the whole ball game has changed now. Who do you think will be "buying" players whenever a restart happens ?
Clubs finances will be all over the place and there will be hundreds of players without a contract, buying players will be the reserve of a very fortunate few clubs in League 1 or 2 and probably half the Championship.

Remains to be seen but when has financial common sense been at the forefront of football thinking? Rich owners and backers will still be rich and those chasing the dream of promotion will still be willing to pay for the best, if when football returns Vernam retains or improved his form there will be queue of clubs trying to prise him away from us
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
diehardmariner
May 18, 2020, 10:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,717
Gold Stars: 543
I'm not actually sure that players will be accepting lower offers for their services once this is all sorted.

There's still going to be a supply and demand issue in the game.  The players of a greater quality will be in higher demand and therefore be able to negotiate more, whereas the more run of the mill players will be less in demand and have less attractive offers and less room to get a better deal for themselves.

I don't think (also hope!) that we won't see any clubs going to the wall.  It's in the self interest of no-one to see that happen.  The Government and the Football League need to keep its clubs safe.   As long as that happens it will still be the same number of clubs chasing the same number of players in the pre-season, whenever that actually takes place.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
dapperz fun pub
May 18, 2020, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,062
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm not actually sure that players will be accepting lower offers for their services once this is all sorted.

There's still going to be a supply and demand issue in the game.  The players of a greater quality will be in higher demand and therefore be able to negotiate more, whereas the more run of the mill players will be less in demand and have less attractive offers and less room to get a better deal for themselves.

I don't think (also hope!) that we won't see any clubs going to the wall.  It's in the self interest of no-one to see that happen.  The Government and the Football League need to keep its clubs safe.   As long as that happens it will still be the same number of clubs chasing the same number of players in the pre-season, whenever that actually takes place.

We are entering or already in the mother of all recessions players wages will be forced down not even the EPL will come out of this unscathed, supply and demand will always be their but even clubs with big fan bases can’t take advantage with no fans allowed in stadia until at least 2021 at the earliest. I’m not a fan of this Tory administration but it’s not their job to keep clubs going and the FL just will watch ala bury. Regional football might not be that far away don’t like the idea but would cut costs and maybe improve attendances,not great but if it kept us alive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
jock dock tower
May 18, 2020, 2:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I see Salford have released twelve players, according to the Guardian today.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
friskneymariner
May 18, 2020, 2:21pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from jock dock tower
I see Salford have released twelve players, according to the Guardian today.

Including Nathan Pond.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Rodley Mariner
May 18, 2020, 2:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Could the club not support some of them by offering monthly contracts and furloughing them at least whilst the scheme is viable? It's there to protect people from being out of work and we'll have lads on very normal salaries. Don't know if there's something to prohibit it with fixed term contracts? Might give us a better chance of then retaining some of those we'd want to when we have a better idea of when we might be able to generate any income.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
ex-merseymariner
May 18, 2020, 2:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,403
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Could the club not support some of them by offering monthly contracts and furloughing them at least whilst the scheme is viable? It's there to protect people from being out of work and we'll have lads on very normal salaries. Don't know if there's something to prohibit it with fixed term contracts? Might give us a better chance of then retaining some of those we'd want to when we have a better idea of when we might be able to generate any income.

I think you've answered your own question - if someone's contract expires end of June, then surely you can't furlough them beyond that.
Those League 2 players have that are being told now will be paid up til end June and then become free agents - that's how it works in the lower leagues.  

I think the closest you may get is some clubs inviting released players back to preseason training in due course to try to win a new contract, basically starting again as a trialist..........

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
sam gy
May 18, 2020, 2:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I hope so aswell but at 22 (or at least approaching 22) many players find themselves out the pro game slipping into semi pro. I think we’re all keen for max and Harry to do well but I doubt their in a olly first eleven if truth be known

Maybe not, but we need a competitive squad, with players who maybe aren't the first names on the sheet, but have a willingness to try and push themselves into the first team.

It's not as if you all of a sudden stop improving when you hit 22. I think there's more to come from both of those players - they've both clearly got the right mentality, love playing for the club and especially in Harry's case, have a good amount of playing experience for them to now push on from.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Abdul19
May 18, 2020, 2:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I think you've answered your own question - if someone's contract expires end of June, then surely you can't furlough them beyond that.
Those League 2 players have that are being told now will be paid up til end June and then become free agents - that's how it works in the lower leagues.  

I think the closest you may get is some clubs inviting released players back to preseason training in due course to try to win a new contract, basically starting again as a trialist..........

You can (or at least I assume so, as that's what's happened to me)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Released and Retained List

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.