5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
May 16, 2020, 11:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,104
Gold Stars: 46
Sadly I can’t see where the finances will come from to extend any contracts. No season ticket sales, no merchandise sold, no pre-season friendlies and probably no fans through the turnstiles until there’s a vaccine. It looks like the Furlough scheme will run until October when most normal businesses could be back to some sort of normality, so we should be ok till then, but after that who knows? As awful as this actual virus is, the repercussions from it will be equally as devastating. These decisions won’t be made on footballing merit I’m afraid. This won’t be a normal summer football wise, no building for next season yet, just concentrating on how to keep the finances of the club alive.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
toontown
May 16, 2020, 12:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
I wouldn't be surprised if every single out of contract player including vernam is released. Slashing costs is the highest priority as who knows when we will be playing in front of a crowd again and the survival of the club is at stake. Absolutely gutting for players and vernam in any other situation would be a shoe in for a new contract. When football restarts there will be plenty of opportunity to resign players on 600 quid a week or whatever is affordable as they will be desperate for income, like many people will be. These are going to be very difficult times for big swathes of the population I would think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
codcheeky
May 16, 2020, 12:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,263
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from toontown
I wouldn't be surprised if every single out of contract player including vernam is released. Slashing costs is the highest priority as who knows when we will be playing in front of a crowd again and the survival of the club is at stake. Absolutely gutting for players and vernam in any other situation would be a shoe in for a new contract. When football restarts there will be plenty of opportunity to resign players on 600 quid a week or whatever is affordable as they will be desperate for income, like many people will be. These are going to be very difficult times for big swathes of the population I would think.

Difficult times indeed but I think it would be false economy not to keep Vernam. His form has made him one of the club’s biggest assets
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
lee65
May 16, 2020, 7:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
So if we took up our option on Vernam, as it stands we could (just ) field a Team of contracted players?

3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 maybe?

Macca

Waterfall    Pollock   Ohman  

Hendrie       Hewitt   Clifton     Tilley

Vernam

Green   Hanson  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
golfer
May 16, 2020, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
That's one of the best teams we've had all season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
Rodley Mariner
May 16, 2020, 9:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
My two lads turned 5 and 7 last week. I messaged a handful of players via Instagram explaining the situation and asking if they could do anything. I also stressed that I know they must get lots of requests so I'd understand if they couldn't. Stick by that so won't name anybody who didn't reply. James Tilley, Ahkeem Rose and Max Wright sent them the loveliest personalised video messages. I know the club can't afford sentimentality but I will be genuinely sad to hear we've released Rose or Wright. In particular Max Wright honestly couldn't have done more or come across any better - a genuine ambassador for the club.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
Heisenberg
May 16, 2020, 9:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,116
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
My two lads turned 5 and 7 last week. I messaged a handful of players via Instagram explaining the situation and asking if they could do anything. I also stressed that I know they must get lots of requests so I'd understand if they couldn't. Stick by that so won't name anybody who didn't reply. James Tilley, Ahkeem Rose and Max Wright sent them the loveliest personalised video messages. I know the club can't afford sentimentality but I will be genuinely sad to hear we've released Rose or Wright. In particular Max Wright honestly couldn't have done more or come across any better - a genuine ambassador for the club.

Regarding Wright, I know we can be biased, but I think he’s easily good enough. I hope IH agrees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
Rodley Mariner
May 16, 2020, 10:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
And me. Just before he got injured at home to Mansfield he was looking like one of our most important players.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Davec
May 17, 2020, 8:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
We are going to see a massive list of players released by clubs, players who would have been offered new deals will also be released nationwide purely for the finanical reasons and players might not have any choice but to take pay cuts.

I am glad our season is over as taking the players off furlough and pay for the testing etc to play the remaining games would cost the club £££s when we have little income. for example if league 1 continies to a finish you will have over half of the league pay for testing, take players and staff off furlough just to play the remaining games to finish 15th? and don't forget extending contracts by a few months to accomodate this, the cost of carrying on the season would be atleast 200k for every club, how can clubs afford that with no ticket revenue etc? atleast Grimsby will not have that added expense.

As for starting next season, I would be in favour of delaying the start of the season until October and scrapping the checkatrade trophy, gives us more chance of playing with fans in attendance as every game played behind cloed doors clubs will lose money and if we have a full season like that many many clubs without financial aid, by financial aid I mean hand outs, not loans as loans need paying back. Maybe premiership clubs could contribute to a fund and all clubs get the equivalent of their last financial year turnover? it will cost the prem clubs a lot I know but without it, many clubs will go bust no doubt about it.

I guess the only and best option now is to keep staff and players furloughed for as long as possible.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
moosey_club
May 17, 2020, 9:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from codcheeky

Difficult times indeed but I think it would be false economy not to keep Vernam. His form has made him one of the club’s biggest assets

Maybe he WAS one of the clubs biggest assetts, the whole ball game has changed now. Who do you think will be "buying" players whenever a restart happens ?
Clubs finances will be all over the place and there will be hundreds of players without a contract, buying players will be the reserve of a very fortunate few clubs in League 1 or 2 and probably half the Championship.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Released and Retained List

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.