10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
May 1, 2024, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,829
Gold Stars: 854
Biden’s barely aware of where HE is nowadays the senile old cųnt.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
tarka
May 1, 2024, 7:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I’m not sure Biden is even aware of where Palestine is these days .

I'm not sure Trump ever did know where Palestine is!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
gtfc_chris
May 2, 2024, 7:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from GrimPol

"Football is a non-political sport but certain clubs have been " highjacked" by political factions. I find your use of the" taking of the knee" as proof of politics in football very naïve" .Did you take the knee, or were you just happy the footballers take it for you by proxy?

Your turning this arguement/discussion as if JS+You are Pro Data Selection, and I am against it, which not I'm just not sold on it. You are of course.
The point you have made before is that "we all make mistakes"  Well yes, but some mistakes are small, and some are massive. JS made a massive mistake, and in a larger organisation, he would have been sacked by the people above him. But then cannot sack himself at GTFC can he?

The scenario is this. The Board decided to travel down the Data Recruitment road, and hired the services of  TransferLab in June 2021 ( we had just been relegated to the NL) PH said at the time “As a manager, I like to make sure I have as much information available to me to inform my decision-making. TransferLab adds another layer on top of what we already have and will help us to get an edge over the other clubs in our division.” So all main people are on board, right? In November 2022 a Head of Recruitment Analysis JH is hired , and Town boss Paul Hurst said:
“I’m delighted to welcome Joe to the Club. He comes very highly recommended, having worked with Steve Croudson in the past at a couple of clubs. Steve couldn’t speak highly enough of him, as others have done as well. PH still on board it seems. However it all went wrong, in recruitment for the 2023 24 season, and now we know that PH was allowed to do his own thing. JS had invested all this money and time with TransferLab and JH hire, and allows PH to do his own thing. JS knew he was making a bad judgement, but still made it. Now you are blinded by his politics and see nothing wrong. or just a mistake. Well I made a mistake last week and bought too many tomatoes, and had to dump some, about £1.50 worth. JS knew he was making  one costing many thousands, potential "Oblivion" into the NL, and maybe worse. Are those two mistakes the same? But roll on 2024-25, it can't be worse than the last season, can it? UTM
PS
If you think I'm naive in thinking that Politics in Sport/Business is not happening look up Linzi Smith (whose views  I endorse)  Newcastle Utd fan. The Diversity Inclusion Equity (DIE) that brought on her problems is of the same DNA as JS fronts. These are real lives being messed with.

I'll be waiting for the midnight knock from the "Thought Police" if you don't understand that comment, you haven't looked her up.

Haven't read in depth on this thread, just a quick read over to see what the topic is but I couldn't help pick up on this line.

Surely you're not so deep-rooted in blind dislike to not apply very basic rationale?

We acquire access to TransferLab at the start of the NL season and we go on to win promotion. So we could argue that both PHs methods and the acquisition of TL paid off and was worthwhile....?

The following season, we recruit a Head of Recruitment/Analysis in JH and - however he was deployed/utilised by PH - we went on to place our best finish in years and an FA Cup Quarter Final. So you could argue that PH, JH and TL was still worthwhile.....?

I'm interested to know how JS KNEW he was making a bad judgement when what he has is a team of people on the football side who have delivered two consecutive seasons of positives.

Time provides evidence of when things haven't gone to plan, as we found this season. It's only at that point you can determine whether your judgement was good or bad. His judgement in the summer was based on achievement and the evidence was positive in that sense. I think it was fairly universal at the time - and in a lot of cases is still the case - that player for player, when weighted against their predecessor we recruited better individuals into the club. Again, time has proven that Orsi was a bigger loss than the evidence of the past season - and his longer history - would have suggested.

This whole thing about oblivion is very wild and dramatic though. It would be horrendous to have to drop back to NL again, it's a pisspot league and we all know it, but even under JF we've been run prudently and we would carry on and as we have before would more than likely be competing at the top end and vying to come straight back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
GrimPol
May 2, 2024, 9:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from gtfc_chris

Haven't read in depth on this thread, just a quick read over to see what the topic is but I couldn't help pick up on this line.

Surely you're not so deep-rooted in blind dislike to not apply very basic rationale?

We acquire access to TransferLab at the start of the NL season and we go on to win promotion. So we could argue that both PHs methods and the acquisition of TL paid off and was worthwhile....?

The following season, we recruit a Head of Recruitment/Analysis in JH and - however he was deployed/utilised by PH - we went on to place our best finish in years and an FA Cup Quarter Final. So you could argue that PH, JH and TL was still worthwhile.....?

I'm interested to know how JS KNEW he was making a bad judgement when what he has is a team of people on the football side who have delivered two consecutive seasons of positives.

Time provides evidence of when things haven't gone to plan, as we found this season. It's only at that point you can determine whether your judgement was good or bad. His judgement in the summer was based on achievement and the evidence was positive in that sense. I think it was fairly universal at the time - and in a lot of cases is still the case - that player for player, when weighted against their predecessor we recruited better individuals into the club. Again, time has proven that Orsi was a bigger loss than the evidence of the past season - and his longer history - would have suggested.

This whole thing about oblivion is very wild and dramatic though. It would be horrendous to have to drop back to NL again, it's a pisspot league and we all know it, but even under JF we've been run prudently and we would carry on and as we have before would more than likely be competing at the top end and vying to come straight back.

Surely you're not so deep-rooted in blind dislike to not apply very basic rationale? Steady on less hyperbole please, just because I don't like the guy's politics, doesn't mean I don't wish him well in steering GTFC to better things.
I'm interested to know how JS KNEW he was making a bad judgement when what he has is a team of people on the football side who have delivered two consecutive seasons of positives.    He knew because he made that rule, he set the whole thing up. ( When I write HE I mean the figurehead of the board), he hired TransferLab, he hired the Data Analyst and in JS words PH did his own thing. He blamed PH for not following the script/rules/orders what ever. He allowed PH not to do what he, JS set up. In any larger company, PH would have walked, but so would JS.
This whole thing about oblivion is very wild and dramatic though That's the second person who didn't like that word, why is it so upsetting, what do you want to call it a  hiccup? We are losing money as a club, both main shareholders have intimated they will not subsidise the club, and it must run on its own. That's fair enough. So how will a third stint in 14 years in the 5th Tier do it any good? And whilst we did get straight back up the last time, and as exciting as it was, we didn't half ride our luck. If TransferLab planned that, well I take my hat off to them.  So you fashion a word to your liking, that describes dropping into the 5th Tier whilst losing money, without upsetting anyone on the forum. Still keeping to hiccup?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
Rodley Mariner
May 2, 2024, 9:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
JS must be applying his sinister DIE agenda in a very subtle way given the demographics of our coaching staff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 94
Maringer
May 2, 2024, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,701
Gold Stars: 189
What exactly does DIE stand for? Am I correct guessing it is some kind of ridiculous right-wing conspiracy theory about liberal elites turning us all into women?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
gtfc_chris
May 2, 2024, 12:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from GrimPol

Surely you're not so deep-rooted in blind dislike to not apply very basic rationale? Steady on less hyperbole please, just because I don't like the guy's politics, doesn't mean I don't wish him well in steering GTFC to better things.
I'm interested to know how JS KNEW he was making a bad judgement when what he has is a team of people on the football side who have delivered two consecutive seasons of positives.    He knew because he made that rule, he set the whole thing up. ( When I write HE I mean the figurehead of the board), he hired TransferLab, he hired the Data Analyst and in JS words PH did his own thing. He blamed PH for not following the script/rules/orders what ever. He allowed PH not to do what he, JS set up. In any larger company, PH would have walked, but so would JS.
This whole thing about oblivion is very wild and dramatic though That's the second person who didn't like that word, why is it so upsetting, what do you want to call it a  hiccup? We are losing money as a club, both main shareholders have intimated they will not subsidise the club, and it must run on its own. That's fair enough. So how will a third stint in 14 years in the 5th Tier do it any good? And whilst we did get straight back up the last time, and as exciting as it was, we didn't half ride our luck. If TransferLab planned that, well I take my hat off to them.  So you fashion a word to your liking, that describes dropping into the 5th Tier whilst losing money, without upsetting anyone on the forum. Still keeping to hiccup?

I don't recall JS blaming PH. He's insinuated that PH did his own thing and that it wasn't part of the game model. From my interpretation he's blamed himself for whatever shortfalls or decisions he's made that contributed to our poor season. You can take that as supporting your argument but it isn't. JS is not a football expert and relies on people around him to guide and provide balanced advice. If - by your logic - that it's JS' fault for allowing PH to go off script, then would we be sat here having enjoyed an FA Cup QF run? Surely he would have been sacked much earlier for not following orders? It would also stand to reason that DA would have been encouraged to carry on with 'Artell Ball' that saw us shipping goals for fun and driving us towards the drop just because it's the game model.

In the summer, on the back of two positive seasons why would you not trust the manager who has delivered those successes because you have a model you want to play? How can you determine whether the model is being adopted until you have either data that supports it, as we know the owners are seeking to do? Let us not forget that we don't know the specifics of what the model looks like, only those internal to the club know that. As I said before, only time will give you the evidence and rationale to decide whether a direction has proven fruitful or not. If we'd have sacked PH last summer we'd have been asking what the hell was going on after the previous two seasons. Fact. Even those who were critical of his pragmatic approach couldn't deny we'd experienced two fantastic years under his management.

It very much seems your using the benefit of what we know now and using it to batter JS for a feeling that was very different at the start of the season.

As for being relegated, yeah hiccough is fine by me. Scunthorpe are in a right mess, but they're not into oblivion. Ask Bury or Macclesfield about oblivion and they'll probably have some thoughts and for good reason. Of course we'd lose money, of course they're not going to subsidise it beyond their means but nor did JF. The club has always been sustainable, even if that comes at the expense of being a lower end L2/top end NL team for the last 15-20 years. Having grown up on the Championship days it's crap, but I'd rather be a permanent fixture at this level without ever needing to worry about 'oblivion' like Macc or Bury. Again, I think you're taking some comments that are applicable across the vast majority of clubs and spinning it to sound far worse than it would actually be for whatever purpose you want to batter JS for.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 94
rancido
May 2, 2024, 4:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from gtfc_chris

I don't recall JS blaming PH. He's insinuated that PH did his own thing and that it wasn't part of the game model. From my interpretation he's blamed himself for whatever shortfalls or decisions he's made that contributed to our poor season. You can take that as supporting your argument but it isn't. JS is not a football expert and relies on people around him to guide and provide balanced advice. If - by your logic - that it's JS' fault for allowing PH to go off script, then would we be sat here having enjoyed an FA Cup QF run? Surely he would have been sacked much earlier for not following orders? It would also stand to reason that DA would have been encouraged to carry on with 'Artell Ball' that saw us shipping goals for fun and driving us towards the drop just because it's the game model.

In the summer, on the back of two positive seasons why would you not trust the manager who has delivered those successes because you have a model you want to play? How can you determine whether the model is being adopted until you have either data that supports it, as we know the owners are seeking to do? Let us not forget that we don't know the specifics of what the model looks like, only those internal to the club know that. As I said before, only time will give you the evidence and rationale to decide whether a direction has proven fruitful or not. If we'd have sacked PH last summer we'd have been asking what the hell was going on after the previous two seasons. Fact. Even those who were critical of his pragmatic approach couldn't deny we'd experienced two fantastic years under his management.

It very much seems your using the benefit of what we know now and using it to batter JS for a feeling that was very different at the start of the season.

As for being relegated, yeah hiccough is fine by me. Scunthorpe are in a right mess, but they're not into oblivion. Ask Bury or Macclesfield about oblivion and they'll probably have some thoughts and for good reason. Of course we'd lose money, of course they're not going to subsidise it beyond their means but nor did JF. The club has always been sustainable, even if that comes at the expense of being a lower end L2/top end NL team for the last 15-20 years. Having grown up on the Championship days it's crap, but I'd rather be a permanent fixture at this level without ever needing to worry about 'oblivion' like Macc or Bury. Again, I think you're taking some comments that are applicable across the vast majority of clubs and spinning it to sound far worse than it would actually be for whatever purpose you want to batter JS for.

The DN35 podcast gives a better explanation of the circumstances and reasons of what went wrong and how to ensure we don't go down that path again. I know nothing is guaranteed but I'm convinced we won't experience the same scenario again with our present owners and manager.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
Norseman
May 2, 2024, 11:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Maringer
What exactly does DIE stand for? Am I correct guessing it is some kind of ridiculous right-wing conspiracy theory about liberal elites turning us all into women?

No you aren't. It's what happens when you make assumptions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
Maringer
May 3, 2024, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,701
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Norseman

No you aren't. It's what happens when you make assumptions

Please explain to me what it is, then. I can't even find a meaning for it when searching online, which makes it likely to be some sort of a fringe view. I look forward to discovering just what it means. As it is GrimPol posting it (one of two on the forum who I have blocked), I'm pretty sure it will be relatively easy to pick it apart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.