MarinerMal
April 26, 2024, 12:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from jimgtfc
The one thing that can completely nullify the data approach is still our location, and if an identified player wants to come here. Let’s say we want a central midfielder, under the age of 26, who averages over 80 passes per game, with a pass completion rate of over 85%, with over 50% of those passes being forward. We might be able to identify 5 players who fit those criteria, but they might not be available, or if they are, they will also be wanted by other, possibly more attractive clubs who are looking down the data route, they might be based in the south and might not want to come to Grimsby, and so we’re left looking down the list, and end up recruiting players that don’t quite fit the criteria and we force a style of football on them that doesn’t suit them.

I’m a huge fan of JS and AP, but he’s very much nailing his colours to the mast here, we have to get this transfer window right, otherwise these methods will be questioned.

That's not really related to whether a data-driven approach is used. Even with the traditional 'eye for a good player' method, we'd face the same challenges concerning location.

However, if implemented effectively, data analytics can pinpoint players who fit our style but may have been missed by other clubs. This could potentially give us an edge in securing their signatures.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
louth_in_the_south
April 26, 2024, 1:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
I bet stockwoods kids were the happiest kids in the country when lockdown ended !! Creating an animation of how the mind works?!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
Poojah
April 26, 2024, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,726
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I bet stockwoods kids were the happiest kids in the country when lockdown ended !! Creating an animation of how the mind works?!!

Fair play to him, I say. By the time lockdown ended my two kids were eating their own faeces and howling at the moon. Can’t say I was doing much better myself.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
Maringer
April 26, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189

I'm pretty left-wing (and like this article), but that is absolutely peak tofu-eating Guardian-reader stuff from Stockwood. As long as they enjoyed it, I suppose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
MuddyWaters
April 26, 2024, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,281
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

Fair play to him, I say. By the time lockdown ended my two kids were eating their own faeces and howling at the moon. Can’t say I was doing much better myself.

Because of the length of some of your posts, I sometimes think we’re still in lockdown 🤔🤩
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
Gaffer58
April 26, 2024, 2:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Regarding Jason, he says it’s a 2 hour 34 minute drive home along the A180 and M62, not that I want his exact address and I’m not going to stalk him but that suggests he lives over Manchester area, I always assumed he lived “ darn sarf”.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 26, 2024, 2:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Gaffer58
Regarding Jason, he says it’s a 2 hour 34 minute drive home along the A180 and M62, not that I want his exact address and I’m not going to stalk him but that suggests he lives over Manchester area, I always assumed he lived “ darn sarf”.

Prestbury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
jimgtfc
April 26, 2024, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MarinerMal

That's not really related to whether a data-driven approach is used. Even with the traditional 'eye for a good player' method, we'd face the same challenges concerning location.

That’s exactly my point though. You could all the data on a player, down to his inside leg measurements, it all boils down to whether the player wants to come here or not.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 26, 2024, 4:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +887
Gold Stars: 122

Yes, but it was made so much harder because they used Ian Holloway as the model
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
jamesgtfc
April 26, 2024, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
To bring the discussion away from which suburb of Manchester is 2 hours and 34 minutes away from Blundell Park, I thought the core content of the article was interesting. He has nailed his colours to the mast now though. At some point in the future we will either get a transfer window wrong or fail to get the best out of the data-led signings. In a situation where we perform badly despite signing from the data, it will be interesting to see if the blame is levelled at the coach, the data, or those analysing the data.

If the standard of the January recruitment can be replicated over the summer then we are in a good place. I'd like a couple of young players with potential through the door also because we do need to be generating income from our transfer business if we are to progress.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.