9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
April 25, 2024, 10:15pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -161
Gold Stars: 23

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
April 25, 2024, 10:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Teestogreen
So the owners are now in control of which players they are asking Dave Artell and the new CEO to sign?
Or it wil be as last season.
2 hours and 34 minutes down the M62 probably gets you to Manchester / Liverpool.
Quite a catchment area for potential better players - could follow the Barrow model - and have the training facilities around Manchester?

You are putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5... where on earth did JS say he will be deciding who signs for the club. They set the ethos and strategy of the football club but leave footballing decisions to the men in charge of that i.e DA & SP for the first team and JH for recruitment. DA has been appointed to carry that out, if he doesn't do that then he loses his job.. like any normal job.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 71 - 85
Theimperialcoroner
April 25, 2024, 11:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,262
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Teestogreen

Also one thing Barrow do is run with a good few less players in their squad and therefore pay a higher average salary. Can’t remember the exact numbers but if we pay an average of £150k they are paying £180k. Quality over quantity and it shows. The gamble of course is injuries but then I guess you have to either suck it up or use the loan market well.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
grimps
April 26, 2024, 5:11am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

You are putting 2 & 2 together and getting 5... where on earth did JS say he will be deciding who signs for the club. They set the ethos and strategy of the football club but leave footballing decisions to the men in charge of that i.e DA & SP for the first team and JH for recruitment. DA has been appointed to carry that out, if he doesn't do that then he loses his job.. like any normal job.

I believe a chairman has every right to ask a manager he's recruiting to try and play in a way that's more attacking and exciting, especially at home.
I think that should be the maximum involvement he should have after that though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
diehardmariner
April 26, 2024, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,671
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Teestogreen
So the owners are now in control of which players they are asking Dave Artell and the new CEO to sign?
Or it wil be as last season.
2 hours and 34 minutes down the M62 probably gets you to Manchester / Liverpool.
Quite a catchment area for potential better players - could follow the Barrow model - and have the training facilities around Manchester?

That's Stockwood's journey back to his Manchester home.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Artell lives away, I think Greater Manchester area.  But he's said that he's ok commuting and staying over because a) the travel gives him time to think and b) his body isn't taking a battering day-in-day-out, he wouldn't expect or want players to be travelling that much.  
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
GrimPol
April 26, 2024, 9:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

DA & SP for the first team and JH for recruitment JH recruits, and if it doesn't work DA gets the sack? In the normal world, doesn't quite work that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
Theimperialcoroner
April 26, 2024, 10:01am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,262
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GrimPol

DA & SP for the first team and JH for recruitment JH recruits, and if it doesn't work DA gets the sack? In the normal world, doesn't quite work that way.

I think it’s clear that JH offers up a number of options and then Artell gets to choose. The difference is of these options Hurst just ignored them and went with his own preferences. If you think that JH and DA work in their own little bubbles then you are very much mistaken. You simply could operate that way.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
Mappers
April 26, 2024, 10:10am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,430
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from GrimPol

True , but these were the terms and conditions  DA agreed to when he took on the job, it's not like Hurst who was already in situ so it was (I assume ) more difficult to get him to adhere to within the strategy they want to implement . He had full accountability and fell on his sword , on his own terms - It's clear it went really badly wrong last summer with his regular methodology but with more money at his disposal.

DA will have the final say on signings , but if It goes wrong with the signings there will be more group accountability than just the manager - whether that's right or wrong is open to  debate but I'm pretty certain that's how it will be .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
GrimPol
April 26, 2024, 10:27am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from grimps

I believe a chairman has every right to ask a manager he's recruiting to try and play in a way that's more attacking and exciting, especially at home.
I think that should be the maximum involvement he should have after that though.

Tinged with realism.  It's alright recruiting a racehorse trainer and asking him to win The Grand National, but on his budget can only afford Donkeys.

And whilst I'm at it, JH (Head of Recruitment Joe Hutchinson)  was recruited in Nov 2022, hence spanned the 2023-24 season recruitment. So did JH in early 2023 put out a list, that PH ignored, put out his list of players he wanted,  and the CEO/JS signed off?  He then has to back PH, then sack PH shambolically, and writes a sob piece in the Guardian with profound lessons that "if you sack people they become unemployed" (I didn't know that) and now lets it be known that PH didn't listen and went off on his own, which we signed off. Boo Hoo.

What is going on?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
April 26, 2024, 11:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

So a head of recruitment is a scout, he will do all the work of a scout but is more advanced in the fact he will oversee recruitment throughout the whole club. They will speak with players, staff and then JS or the new CEO. David Artell still has final say over every single player that signs on the dotted line as like you said, the book stops with him and it's his job on the line but he puts his trust in JH and rightfully so. The man that brought us Conteh in the summer, replaced him with Thompson despite many thinking we wouldn't be able to upgrade on Kam we very much have. Paul Hurst quite clearly trusted his own insticts over JH and has every right to do so but that's not what JS/AP want through the club and the performances quite clearly showed that PH was wrong to go against him hence why he was sacked.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Main stand

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.