wuffing
April 25, 2024, 11:45am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +849
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Chrisblor
If I win the £130m euromillions jackpot tomorrow night I will personally fund a new stadium for town, and that's a chrisblor promise!

Pre-emptive begging letter already posted to you Chris!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 85
Mappers
April 25, 2024, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Mikey_345

I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, however didn't the previous incumbent walk away having received more money than they put in through shares and loans? Not seeing much prospect or desire from Jason and Andrew for that happening in this case.

They've thrown money in to improving things that have been allowed to rot and decay for years. Whether that's the training ground, the stadium, the pitch, the squad or a hundred other facilities/assets.

They are willing to write off the 3 million or so that they have invested to date , which I think people should be grateful for . It might well be a small % of what they have but they want to leave the club in a better place than where they found it and I assume part of that is leaving the club in a debt free position without spending far far beyond it's means .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 85
paulmblythe
April 25, 2024, 12:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mappers

They are willing to write off the 3 million or so that they have invested to date , which I think people should be grateful for . It might well be a small % of what they have but they want to leave the club in a better place than where they found it and I assume part of that is leaving the club in a debt free position without spending far far beyond it's means .

i agree on the right off. They could do what the wrexham owners have done. Any money their owners have put in is in the form of an interest bearing loan. Reynolds and Mchelleny are making money out of Wrexham based on that. I dont think our owners are....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 85
Mappers
April 25, 2024, 1:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 85
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 1:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted Text
One question that inevitably arises is how, with all our data and insights, we still found ourselves in a relegation battle. The answer is straightforward: we were on a steep learning curve. At the end of the previous season, when we first gained access to data models and recruitment intelligence, we did not fully integrate this new approach throughout the organisation. Traditional methods – relying on an “eye for a player”, responding uniquely to each opponent and valuing simple hard work – had previously propelled us out of the National League, so there was resistance to placing data and strategy at the forefront.

In retrospect, this reluctance was a mistake. We lacked a defined game model, leaving recruitment decisions to the management team without a clear, owner-set strategy. Although we recruited technically superior players, their potential was undercut by a lack of clarity on their roles. It’s like going shopping without knowing what you’re planning to cook. You can buy the best eggs available but they won’t help much if you decide to make tomato soup when you get home.

Interesting.

Quoted Text
We lacked a defined game model, leaving recruitment decisions to the management team without a clear, owner-set strategy.

Very interesting.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 85
DB
April 25, 2024, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.43
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,049
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Mappers

Is this what is meant by Grimsby way, from the above article,

"established a defined game model with an aligned management team. Moving forward, recruitment will be strategic, adhering to this model"

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 85
TownSNAFU5
April 25, 2024, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Didn’t Man United use data to look at 50 fullbacks, then bought Bissauka?  (Spelling).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
April 25, 2024, 2:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Didn’t Man United use data to look at 50 fullbacks, then bought Bissauka?  (Spelling).

This is the same United that thought giving a 32 year old Casemiro a 4 year deal on 350 grand a week was a good idea
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 85
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 2:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from diehardmariner

Very interesting.

Yes and massively welcome and over due. It's the answer to the question many fans ask when things aren't going well and has been asked by ourselves for many years under Fenty. "What's the plan" "How are we going to improve". Well we now have that answer. Seen a few decide they want to criticise it, suppose that's natural but it is somewhat surprising when we've been crying out for a plan or strategy for years other than trying not to be as excrement as other teams.

If you cannot plough stupid amount of money into a playing budget, which itself doesn't guarantee you anything - Colchester/FGR/Scunny etc etc. Then you have to get your edge elsewhere. With Wrexham and Stockport it's money, Crewe it has been youth development and Barrow it's their training ground location. I am very interested to see how this works and where it gets us. The direction has been set by the owners and they've provided the resources and brought in people that buy in to it - the rest is up to Artell and the staff..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 85
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I'd say it could be even less than a direction.  It could be an end point.  

A strategy states where you're going to get to.  The implementation is the direction you take to get there.

I think it'll be a bit of in between.  The Grimsby Way has now become the Game Model.  It sounds great if things are going well and it sounds horrific when things aren't, also becomes a massive stick to hit them with.  I imagine their on-field strategy is entertaining football that's relatively successful and with a constant eye on improving.  The concept of improving will be regards league position, profit of players, increased gates/demand, a whole load of things. Within that will be the tool (data).  

How Artell and the staff use that is down to them.  That's the implementation plan.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Main stand

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.