7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
April 10, 2024, 12:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,751
Gold Stars: 851
In the past 6 weeks or so Holohan’s missed an open-goal tap in at Morecambe, a 93rd-min one-on-one at Sutton, the pen against MK, plus the two chances last night. I like the guy but Jesus…
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
IlkleyMariner
April 10, 2024, 12:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
Yes, I know what you mean
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Hagrid
April 10, 2024, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,475
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew

Unfair to have Wilson in there, missed 3 in one game last week but before that I’m hard pushed to think of a time he missed a golden chance. He’s the best finisher we’ve got at the club IMO.

was amazed he wasnt brought on at HT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2024, 12:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,716
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from neverapen
'Shake some life into him' re Obikwu is spot on. I swear at times Danny Rose was pointing to where he needed to run and tell him what to do in frustration rather than encouragement. It's not like it's the lad's first start, he's been with us a while now.

We need a Luke Waterfall style powerhouse on the end of those Tharme throws. We're definitely missing an opportunity here, as currently it looks like we defending them when he lobs them in rather than attacking them.

Obikwu is Pepple 2.0 - he’s got a few goals for us (which Pepple didn’t) but his general game awareness and anticipation of where to make the right runs is equally poor. Like Pepple he is unable to use his athleticism effectively.

I think there is a footballer in Wilson but he looks half-rsed and probably doesn’t want to be here. The only reason I can think that DA starts Obikwu is that his random running around might create some kind of defensive error, and that Wilson is better saving to exploit space late in a game. A completely sorry situation and deeply frustrating - we’ve had nearly 2 full seasons of not having 2 fit effective strikers available at the same time.
The second half last night was a horror show. Gav looked a sorry figure walking past the fans who were applauding him, he knows the team have let the fans down who continue to turn up in outstanding numbers. He’s had a poor season but at least he cares…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
pontoonlew
April 10, 2024, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Hagrid

was amazed he wasnt brought on at HT

Aye same, there’s surely not much difference between Obikwu and Gardner at this current moment surely? I’d rather see us blooding our own players as opposed to watching somebody else’s player constantly miscontrol the ball and stifle pretty much every attack we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
Maringer
April 10, 2024, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,623
Gold Stars: 185
The stats tell it all for Holohan this season. He scored 9 in 51 appearances last season and has 3 in 42 this season.

Everybody misses sitters, but he's been doing it regularly and we've got nobody else in central midfield who has really threatened to score many. Heck, Clifton has had a poor season, but he's scored as many goals, even though he's been playing as a jack of all trades back in defence for plenty of the games. No goals for Andrews, 2 for Green, 1 for Thompson (though he's usually sitting deeper so doesn't have many shots). A pretty poor return from those who play in the middle.

A real pity, as he's done a good job for us up to now, but I think his time at BP is probably coming to an end.

I'd also take Obikwu out of the team. He did his best when Rose was out injured but doesn't seem to be learning much, isn't a physical threat, doesn't seem to put the legwork in and just doesn't retain possession at all, or win that many free-kicks. Wilson looks to be on his way at the end of the season to me, but he at least can get a shot away when the chances come to him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
diehardmariner
April 10, 2024, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from pontoonlew

Aye same, there’s surely not much difference between Obikwu and Gardner at this current moment surely? I’d rather see us blooding our own players as opposed to watching somebody else’s player constantly miscontrol the ball and stifle pretty much every attack we have.

Perhaps there's that fear of chucking the kids in at the deep end here and ruining them.  I tend to favour a bit more of the sink or swim approach but I don't get to see the likes of Gardner in training every day.  

In a hypothetical world that sees us mathematically safe with 2 games to go, I'll be disappointed if Harry Wood or Obikwu get selected over own young lads. Indeed any of the loan players for that matter.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Madeleymariner
April 10, 2024, 1:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from pontoonlew

Unfair to have Wilson in there, missed 3 in one game last week but before that I’m hard pushed to think of a time he missed a golden chance. He’s the best finisher we’ve got at the club IMO.

By tradition I guess he will be playing for Crawley next season then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
grimsby pete
April 10, 2024, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,802
Gold Stars: 222
Farrell keeps saying Obikwu is going to be some player so I would not be surprised if he tries to bring him back next season.

At the moment he seems a bit light weight which is because of his age.

He needs to gain strength to hold other players off and take care of himself.

Whether he will have this next season or in another year or two is anybodys guess.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
LocalLadGTFC
April 10, 2024, 1:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,308
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Obikwu is Pepple 2.0 - he’s got a few goals for us (which Pepple didn’t) but his general game awareness and anticipation of where to make the right runs is equally poor. Like Pepple he is unable to use his athleticism effectively.

I think there is a footballer in Wilson but he looks half-rsed and probably doesn’t want to be here. The only reason I can think that DA starts Obikwu is that his random running around might create some kind of defensive error, and that Wilson is better saving to exploit space late in a game. A completely sorry situation and deeply frustrating - we’ve had nearly 2 full seasons of not having 2 fit effective strikers available at the same time.
The second half last night was a horror show. Gav looked a sorry figure walking past the fans who were applauding him, he knows the team have let the fans down who continue to turn up in outstanding numbers. He’s had a poor season but at least he cares…

That's very harsh, Pepple literally looked like a Sunday league footballer. Obikwu seems a bit disinterested but I don't know whether that's just the way he runs. I admit he's disappointed me as the Cov fans said he had blistering pace and used his body well. I'm yet to see him beat a defender for pace and despite being 6 foot 2/3 when he jumps he's about 5 foot 2. When he gets the ball to feet he looks capable but sometimes is often seen wanting too much time, there was a couple of times yesterday where he got himself a couple yards and shot. I agree with a couple posters on this thread that i'd much rather of seen Gardner given minutes however, been impressed with what i've seen at Boro and he uses his body very well. If your good enough, you're old enough and the lad quite clearly knows where the goal is. Too many times we've had young forwards in the youth team that score a lot of goals and we've not given them significant chances in the first team over the past years. Mulready and Southwell were two that scored a lot of goals as youngsters and we were too busy giving other teams players minutes. We can't let that happen again and I hope next season Cameron is used significantly because he's a special talent.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.